• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cornstalk grazing project

Help Support Ranchers.net:

loomixguy said:
I don't see it that way. Probably a good thing that I'm not a tiller of the soil.

If I had livestock to feed and irrigated land, I would be looking at planting something the cows could eat this summer, not something that will take til fall. I'd give up a corn crop to keep my cows fed.

I'm afraid this summer will be dryer than last summer.

Like I said earlier, things are going to get "creative".

I agree about your strategy. And I think I would if I had a ton of cows. It has always been cheaper for me to buy feed and raise a crop on my own land up till now. It actually probably is still cheaper but finding it is the problem. Also I don't like depending on somebody else when at all possible. So I'm going to be planting quite a bit of feed myself. Maybe even irrigated after wheat harvest if I have to. Also I hope I'm right on the weather cause if not its going to be brutal. Having corn go any higher is only going to hurt the farmer in the long run.

In our country, I have heard some creative ideas to balance the remaining irrigation water and having cows around. I thought 2002 was western, but some are hoping for just enough rain to not make wheat hay.
As far as the pivots go, I will be interested to see what happens. This summer just might keep the electric fence busy, and the water trucks.

Latest posts