• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Corral Gates

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
What a frustrating day. I saw a price in UFA's catalogue for heavy corral gates, phoned in to speak for 10 of them, and they've gone up $30/pce. Peavey Mart has some slightly lighter ones for $179, I may buy them. Damn steel prices are crazy.

Wanted to add, I did price out steel with a guy that has a jig table for making gates and panels. Do go there and spend 3 days making the gates I need, buy the steel and pay him for the use of his facilities, we're at about $170/gate. Hardly worth my time for a difference of $9.

make and rebuild my own
polegate.jpg

I built 9 new steel gates in my shop this spring got dow to welding little pieces together to make them but I got them built.I've purchased 5 cord of Tamarack poles lately going to make a pole corral paid $300 for the poles.

Denny, what is the life span of Tamarack poles? Are they hardwood, treated, or what? Is there another name for Tamarack? I think out here (SD and on west) Tamarac is a tree accused of taking over streams and drying them up with their horrendous thirst for water, so is being banned and removed.

I'm curious because we got some Lodge Pole Pine for some fence, and they did not last well. Plan to try some treated ones for replacement. These are not working pens, just fence, and poles are maybe 3" to 5" diameter. What size are your Tamaracks?

mrj

If you folks can find some fire-killed pine they will virtually last forever. There are some log fences in this country that were built in the 30's, the top logs are getting tired but the lower 3 are still hard as rocks.

mrj said:
Denny, what is the life span of Tamarack poles? Are they hardwood, treated, or what? Is there another name for Tamarack? I think out here (SD and on west) Tamarac is a tree accused of taking over streams and drying them up with their horrendous thirst for water, so is being banned and removed.

I'm curious because we got some Lodge Pole Pine for some fence, and they did not last well. Plan to try some treated ones for replacement. These are not working pens, just fence, and poles are maybe 3" to 5" diameter. What size are your Tamaracks?

mrj

In sand as a fence post about 3 years.In the lowground wet condition's some old timer's here say 50 years as poles or planks on a corral 50 years or so.My plan was all iron corrals but that idea has changed as the price of steel keep's jumping.

Tamarack, if kept dry and away from the soil, will become dry and solid like bone and can last easily for half a century. In the soil however, I think about 5 years is max.

mrj said:

mrj

Are you referrin to Salt Cedar? The weed boards have been working with the Corp controling Salt Cedar along the Oahe, in the 4 counties up here.

gcreekrch said:
If you folks can find some fire-killed pine they will virtually last forever. There are some log fences in this country that were built in the 30's, the top logs are getting tired but the lower 3 are still hard as rocks.
Whatever happen to that fence with no nails you were gonna put pics on of?Still waiting to see that gcreek! :lol: Put on some more pics of the ranch,love that country up there.P.s.If you have access to craigslist.com in your area under farm and garden there is often used panels,gates ,etc for decent prices.We use alot of cedar around here.

craigs list is loaded with a holes who try to dominate and run down anything you have to add on that thing. I go there every so often and it is still the same bullies pushing everyone around and every other topic get loaded with F you and F off, so it is very frustrating

jigs said:
craigs list is loaded with a holes who try to dominate and run down anything you have to add on that thing. I go there every so often and it is still the same bullies pushing everyone around and every other topic get loaded with F you and F off, so it is very frustrating
I've personal never gone to the forums on that deal,just farm and garden mostly and got some pretty good deals.But people are people no matter what site you get on.Gotta take the good with the bad i guess :? I listed a boat motor and trailer and did'nt get flagged,luckily.

Latest posts