• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Corriente Saddle Co. Have they changed their quality?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Would you recommend a Corriente saddle to a friend?

• Absolutely! I wouldn't ride any other saddle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes.

• Maybe, but I'd get a used saddle for the same price instead.

• No.

• No way! Those saddles are garbage.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5thhorseman

Reaction score
So I've read a lot of good reviews on here about the strength and durability for the cost of the saddles made by Corriente Saddle Co. and I was rather impressed so I gave them a call.

On the phone I spoke to the owner and asked him a couple important questions:

1) Q: What sort of guarantee does my saddle come with?
A: All of the trees used come with a 5 year guarantee against breakage while roping, but if the horse falls over then it's not covered.

That's it? How do you prove that it broke while roping? Seems kinda sketchy.

2) Q: What sort of guarantee do you guys have on your craftsmanship? If I find any significant flaws can I return the saddle?
A: No.
Q: Wait, you don't guarantee your work?
A: No.

So now I'm asking you all. How does a company that seems to make a good product have these kinda answers to these questions? Has their quality dropped significantly from 1-2 yrs ago?

My girlfriend has a Corriente saddle, and she loves it, but that saddle was bought 5 yrs ago.

I've never laid eyes on a Corriente saddle, so I've no opinion on them one way or the other.

However, I've always thought that Ralph Shimon made as good a saddle as anybody for the money. I ordered mine from Ralph in '85 or '86.

When I bought mine it was $600 not much profit in a $600 saddle when a custom one is $1800 minimum and materials alone are $900. The workmanship is a bit crude but nothing to complain about.Great saddle for the money. When I grow up I'll get a custom saddle but for the little rideing I do it's plenty good.

They use to be a good saddle back in the day but they are just like everything else they cut corners the craftsmanship has got to hell and if they won't waranty the saddle any better than that then I would go some where else. Just my opinion.

My nephew bought one because of the money. He likes it. He also rides horses for others for money. It must be okay.
My sons ride Veach saddles. We have the ones made by Mr Veach but he has since passed away. I ride a Circle Y barrel racing saddle because of the weight. I also don't rope. I just ride and give the boys suggestions. They love that. Their mother out there making things difficult. Hey, it's my turn in the family hierarchy!

I got a new Wade Corriente 2 years ago, and love it. I have roped 22 hundred pound bulls with it, ridden buckers in it and use it everyday. Like Denny says, when I grow up I WILL own a custom saddle, but for the money, you can't beat a Corriente.
About once a year we hear how junk they are, but I have never found that.

Well this is good so far. It seems more and more who I ask determines what sort of reply I get. On this board with people that need a functional good ranch saddle that they don't have to worry about getting scuffed up, it seems you guys think Corriente is a great saddle. Ask this same question at the Leatherworker.net forum and I get the "you get what you pay for and Corriente is the worst production saddle you can get and it's made in Mexico garbage." Course they think that paying $2500 for a custom saddle is a good deal over there.

I don't know how much you cowhands make, but I make $19 hr building airplanes and even $1500 is out of my price range right now. I guess you'd call it an investment in your career but at $2500 I'd think it'd take a long time for that saddle to pay for itself.

flocowgirl, was that Harry Veatch that made your saddles? I knew Harry for many years and know that he recently passed away. I knew he was a big rodeo fan but didn't know he made saddles. He was a commercial building contractor for years.

I am not a wealthy guy by any stretch of the imagination, so take this advice for what it's worth. But you do get what you pay for. :wink: By saddle is a Courts out of Texas. It cost me $1100 ten years ago and is a great saddle. The corrintes i looked at did not impress me. They just appeared to light. I too would love a custom saddle some day but for a production saddle mine works swell! And we cover some rough country every year. But to each his own. As long as you calve in January, I'll still like you! :wink: :D :D

Well I guess I answered my own questions regarding quality. I took my girlfriend's saddle to a master leather worker who's been repairing tack and making leather goods for 30-40 yrs and he was surprised at the level of craftsmanship for such a low price. He even admitted being a bit nervous because he didn't want to insult my girlfriend as he expected the saddle to be poorly made (based on price), but after going over it, he told me that I should jump on getting one as long as I could get a guarantee that if it didn't fit me or the horse and it was still in like condition that I could return it. Especially since it's standard in the industry for production saddles.

Latest posts