• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

corriente saddles

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TWOROPES

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with Corriente saddle co. out of Anthony New Mexico? I am in the market for a new saddle, and The association ranch saddle they build looks good in pictures but I would like to here from somone who has actully ridden one for a while.

Tworopes - you are in the middle of good saddle makers. Run over to Big Bend Saddlery in Alpine. They build as good a saddle as can be made.

Yes, I know Big Bend saddles are good, I Lived in Alpine for a few years, and know Brett and Gary. There saddles start at around 2500.00 dollars, and while I would love to have one it is a dream, I dont spend that much on usin horses. Maybe someday!!

Tworopes- Initially, that may sound a little pricey, but first time you get one of those cheap saddles wet and the skirts start rolling up you'll realize there is more to a saddle than price.

I saw Corriente saddles in the western horseman magazine for $650. I'd like to know if they are decent quality too?

TWOROPES said:
Anybody have experience with Corriente saddle co. out of Anthony New Mexico? I am in the market for a new saddle, and The association ranch saddle they build looks good in pictures but I would like to here from somone who has actully ridden one for a while.

A friend of mine bought one last spring it is really well built for the price.Some of the tooling is a little off from side to side but that doesnt affect the ride I have rode in the saddle and it felt pretty good better than my own saddle.T he kid that bought the saddle has been team roping in it all summer and used it during all brandings and pasture roping.They are well worth the $600 or $650 he got his with the slick fork and bucking rolls.Another neighbor got one on an ass'n tree which I like better.

I am ordering the association saddle tomorrow, I will let everybody know how it holds up. I like assoc. saddles best for all around work saddles.

I ordered their wade saddle over a year a ago. It is not a 2500.00 soft as can be saddle but the leather took oil evenly and it softened up/ broke in pretty fast. ( I did twist the fenders with a broom handle and let it set for a few days in a hot shed, after being oiled) The saddle has held up great and I do not baby my tack! It has gotten wet a number of times and has shown no ill effects. There are a few down falls to this saddle tho, at least in my opinion. For myself it is too heavy. 45+lbs to much for my ol back and a 18 hh horse. I also found that the tree/seat was to wide for my butt....I like a narrower feel.... But I am a girl! I have had other male friends try it out and they have all said how much they like it, how good it feels, that I'm nuts the seat is perfect,etc. I don't think there is a much better saddle out there for the $$ The leather is heavy,well stitched,and with some oil breaks in just fine. I also loved the fact that if for any reason I did not like it they would take it back. I guess without being able to touch a saddle or sit in it before buying what more can you ask for? I would rather be out the shipping for a saddle than unhappy with a sore a**.

I called the folks at Corriente saddle co. ,they said their sadles are made in Mexico,I would hafta pass,dont mean they aint good saddles,just means I buy home grown when I can.
good luck

Some corriente saddles are built in El paso and some are built in Juarez, probably by the same peaple, haha! All I know is I have one, and it is a better saddle than my Billy Cook. I also have an old Courts saddle that was very well built for a factory saddle but I dont know about them anymore. Later

TWOROPES said:
Some corriente saddles are built in El paso and some are built in Juarez, probably by the same peaple, haha! All I know is I have one, and it is a better saddle than my Billy Cook. I also have an old Courts saddle that was very well built for a factory saddle but I dont know about them anymore. Later

Im told Billy Cook and circle Y are made in Mexico now ?
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
TWOROPES said:

Im told Billy Cook and circle Y are made in Mexico now ?
good luck
Well, I know this much, last year me and a buddy made a road trip to Yoakum,( he wanted a circle y saddle for some reason, I never liked them) and we get to the circle y shop, and they tell him, you can order one from here, but you cant take it today. I asked where thy were building the saddles, and the guy says in the wharehouse right behind us. I ask if we can look at some saddles, and he says no but I have a catalog you can look at, my buddy goes off on the guy, and tells hin he wouldnt buy a damn thing from circle y again, and we went home empty handed. Later

i saw a new correntie saddle today
and the young man riding was so proud of it i didn't have the heart to tell him that it was junk
when he wasn't looking i went and looked at the rigging and the way it was put togather and i think when he has roped a few big cattle out of it if the rigging dosn't come out it will streach and start to sore horses backs
but i geuss we'll see
i'll keep ya'll posted as i don't think it will take long
until later
jerry

My son bought a corriente saddle with an assoc. tree in it abt a yr ago. He has done alot of riding in it and loves it. Abt a month ago he pulled an 800 lb hiefer into a trailer out of it with no wear and tear on the saddle or the horses back. Guess it just depends on which one you get.

I have a Corriente team roper, it had worked well for the last 5 years, very comfortable and no problems. As with Billy Cook I live in Greenville TX, there are 2 Billy Cook saddles, one with a Greenville TX maker and another with Sulphur Okla maker tag . The Billk Cook Sulphur OK ropers , wade, cutters are made in Greenville TX even though they say Sulphur OK on the tag. Gary Castillo of Legendary Saddles makes them for Billy Cook, they ship about 25-30 weekly. I have been riding my Billy Cook roper for almost 10 years and I never had any problems with it.
I would buy another one if I needed it if I could find one just like it. The Billy Cook Greenville tagged saddles are or were made by Longhorn here in Greenville also.
Greenville Saddle Makers:
Legendary
Both Billy Cooks
Dale Martin
Shaw Saddles
Diamond V
ETS--East Texas Saddles
Longhorn
Rico
Cactus were until about a year or so ago.
Probably a couple more that I can't think of.
Greenville is suppose to be the saddle making capitol of the US

Hi, My daughter has been riding a Corriente saddle for the last 5 years. Still rock solid. She runs barrels in it as well as riding out. No heavy duty roping or anything, but we are very pleased with it.

hmmm i know sulhpher oklahoma is down south but last time i checked its still the usa and thats where billy cook saddles are made at least yesterday when i was there

I don't know maybe we are talking about a different Corriente but when I talked to Wayne Baize who owns the place he told me he makes them in the USA not a manufacturing company. I bought a Reiner from him, really nice saddle and rides super nice. I know I don't rope in it but have other friends who do competition and day work in his ropers and like them really well.

I ride in a Fallis now as a main saddle but had to sell several other saddles to afford it 3400.00 :shock: but I doubt I will ride in anything else here on out.

For someone who doesn't have the money for a custom saddle the Corrientes are nice enough saddles

Latest posts