• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cost of BSE in the US

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam, have you heard a lot of consumers going around saying that they don't want their beef tested? If the bse testing does not hurt the meat in any way, why not allow companies to provide that extra level of security? Are you saying that testing will never do any good? If that is the case, how did the Japanese catch any bse cattle with their testing methods?

Tam, your stance on this issue just shows that you should not be a leader in the beef industry. It has already allowed the Aussies the Japanese market and the U.S. to be left out. Since you are mad at the Montana border being closed by USDA, I guess this is the way you get your revenge. I think it is funny that it was an Australian feed mill that was the potential transmission of bse in Canada. Seems like you are played real easy.

reader (the Second) said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
reader (the Second) said:
I buy meat marked "kosher" or "organic" and pay more to boot. I bet there are plenty of people who would buy BSE tested as well. Of course I personally would want to know more about the testing program and the sensitivity of the tests.

Reader do you know how they kill a Kosher animal? or how they determine which animals are to be kosher?
They don't like animals with horns cause the rabbi doesn't want to get hurt when he is cuttig the steers thoat while alive and it is strung up by the hind legs to bleed out. Then he does some fancy writing on the Tongue and then you got kosher meat. At least with regular beef they stun the cattle first. Fine buy organic . It should cost more because they generally have a high production cost. I won't argue the "Safety" factor because the is Preceived by the consumer and as long as they are happy and are eating beef that is good for the industry.

You missed my point which was simply --- people are willing to pay more for meat, for whatever silly reason, and there are people who would welcome and pay more for BSE tested meat.

As far as kosher, I personally could care less. I do know that kosher animals are supposed to be examined carefully for health and are supposed to be rejected if they appear unhealthy. Whether that makes kosher meat more likely to be healthy, I don't know, but people who eat kosher because it's kosher believe this.

Reader all beef is supposed to be carefully inspected for health and a be rejected if unhealthy. Unless it has changed since I watched the Rabbi, they wanted about 6 head or so when the rabbi showed he killed the cattle as they came up the line and did his ritual stuff then those were designated for Kosher and they went ahead and killed the rest for the regular market. I agree that some people will pay more for perception but scientificaly it does not make it safer. I say Grace at supper but It is the same food.

So the question is, should you prevent the guys who kill and buy kosher from doing it? Are you protecting them in any way from their own beliefs? Did killing kosher hurt anyone?

Substitute bse testing in there for kosher even if you don't believe bse testing is accurate.

Econ101 said:
So the question is, should you prevent the guys who kill and buy kosher from doing it? Are you protecting them in any way from their own beliefs? Did killing kosher hurt anyone?

Substitute bse testing in there for kosher even if you don't believe bse testing is accurate.

You can't substitute BSE testing for Kosher .The time it would take to test all cattle and keep all offal seperate would slow the industry to a stand still.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Econ101 said:

You can't substitute BSE testing for Kosher .The time it would take to test all cattle and keep all offal seperate would slow the industry to a stand still.

The packer doesn't HAVE to test if they won't want to. It would be OPTIONAL.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Econ101 said:

Again, you side with the big packers.

Econ101 said:
Tam, have you heard a lot of consumers going around saying that they don't want their beef tested? If the bse testing does not hurt the meat in any way, why not allow companies to provide that extra level of security? Are you saying that testing will never do any good? If that is the case, how did the Japanese catch any bse cattle with their testing methods?

Tam, your stance on this issue just shows that you should not be a leader in the beef industry. It has already allowed the Aussies the Japanese market and the U.S. to be left out. Since you are mad at the Montana border being closed by USDA, I guess this is the way you get your revenge. I think it is funny that it was an Australian feed mill that was the potential transmission of bse in Canada. Seems like you are played real easy.

Econ who will be paying for the testing that the OIE considers "unjustified in terms of protecting human and animal health" You as a non- producer won't will you? And the packers won't as they have they ways of recovering any cost that affects there bottom line. And we all now what that way is don't we?

Tam said:
Econ101 said:

Econ who will be paying for the testing that the OIE considers "unjustified in terms of protecting human and animal health" You as a non- producer won't will you? And the packers won't as they have they ways of recovering any cost that affects there bottom line. And we all now what that way is don't we?

Right now producers are paying for not being able to ship to Japan and the business decisions of big buyers like McDonalds focusing on chicken.

Let the market handle this one. If there is a benefit to voluntarily testing, it will happen. If not, it will not. The govt. should not have stepped in on the side of the big packers on this one. They put the squeeze on the little packers who were trying to cater to the customers.

Latest posts