• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cougar

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
I shot a cougar this afternoon. The first time I ever had a chance to shoot one. Not a real big one but my first one. He was basically about 50 yards up the hill across from the end of my driveway. That is about a quarter mile from the house. Shot it with the 30-30 that rides in the gun rack of my quad all winter. The dogs have been barking a lot at night the last couple days. I wonder it this is what they have been barking at. The battery on the camera is dead so no pictures today. Pictures tomorrow after the battery recharges.

I thought you were talking about Mountain Cowgirl;)
Shameful to refer to an old former mountain ranch coyote killing, owl mocking, bunny blasting, rattlesnake slaying, bear rug making, cougar skinning, wolf tracking, mass red digger exterminating, fish dynamiting, marmot murdering, bull snake kicking, anthill stomping, squirrel squishing, weasel wasting, raccoon romping, packrat poisoning, porcupine executing, antelope assassinating, widow woman with such a disparaging wildlife label. :cautious:

Last edited:
Shameful to refer to an old former mountain ranch coyote killing, owl mocking, bunny blasting, rattlesnake slaying, bear rug making, cougar skinning, wolf tracking, mass red digger exterminating, fish dynamiting, marmot murdering, bull snake kicking, anthill stomping, squirrel squishing, weasel wasting, raccoon romping, packrat poisoning, porcupine executing, antelope assassinating, widow woman with such a disparaging wildlife label. :cautious:
Obviously this lady is armed and dangerous. Possibly has anger issues. If I were going after her with a gun (AND I AM NOT AND NEVER WOULD) I would not feel adequately armed with my old 30-30.

I thought so but apparently Mountain Cowgirl doesn't.😊
Well played BM and yes very funny :ROFLMAO: but I didn't want to be a heartbreaker and make public that I prefer men older than I. :cool: So far men haven't thought up a disparaging wildlife name for us ladies that prefer older guys. At age 71 I realize that should I be blessed to live to 100, sooner or later I will be exhuming graves to find a gentleman rancher to accompany me to coffee. :ROFLMAO:
FF wantted MC.jpg

This is a picture of the little "mountain lion" that I shot yesterday. Please disregard any previous comments I made referring to this dead animal as a cougar. It is a real by gosh "mountain lion."

P1242781.JPG

Nice! Those younger cats are the kind that cause trouble. They are not allowed in other's territories and can get pretty desperate! Young, dumb and hungry are a bad combination! I doubt if very many cats have been shot in recent years with a 30-30 that weren't staring down at some hounds under a tree! I live where folks go to hunt lions and can count on my fingers the few very brief glimpses of them I've seen in the past 50 years!

One less deer/calf eater. We have to have tags for them in Utah unless they are harassing or damaging livestock.
We need a tag too. But they are only $16 and over the counter. Season opens January 1 and runs to December 31. You can buy a second tag. I am going to look into that. But literally everyone in the valley has a tag and would be willing to tag a cat if needed. This cat got dropped off at the taxidermist today to make wall hanging rug. And actually being a smaller cat works. Be tough to find a wall space big enough for a big cat.

One of the neighbors had a scary run in with some wolves last year. Everyone went to packing after that. I bought an old Sears knockoff 30-30 to ride on the quad. It shoots fairly good for what it is. Open sighted copy of a 94 Winchester.

In Rogue valley southern Oregon back in 40's and 50's, cougars and bears were an issue. They got very big! Of course I was little pre teen back then so everything was big. Where I live pass 60 plus yrs we have wolfs and grizzly's that threatin critters, most often chained up dog teams. Our big cats are Lynx

Well played BM and yes very funny :ROFLMAO: but I didn't want to be a heartbreaker and make public that I prefer men older than I. :cool: So far men haven't thought up a disparaging wildlife name for us ladies that prefer older guys. At age 71 I realize that should I be blessed to live to 100, sooner or later I will be exhuming graves to find a gentleman rancher to accompany me to coffee. :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 1625
Yes you shall...try Alaska where you will be appreciated

Latest posts