• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Could it be.......SPRING????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
We got over a foot of wet snow and some pretty high wind here a couple days ago. This morning there is a small flock of Canada geese landed not far from my yard.They look a little confused but they are HERE!!! :D
Is it spring or did the geese just take a wrong turn somewhere??? :lol: :lol:

TimH said:
We got over a foot of wet snow and some pretty high wind here a couple days ago. This morning there is a small flock of Canada geese landed not far from my yard.They look a little confused but they are HERE!!! :D
Is it spring or did the geese just take a wrong turn somewhere??? :lol: :lol:

The geese GPS "Navigational" devices must have gone haywire.

I had a pond full this morning, they are usually paired up and nesting down here. We never see flocks this late.

TimH- Keep it up there- or better yet send it to rancher- let him cuss the beautiful moisture as he's warming cold wet calves-- We got a couple of inches last night- everything is a sloppy mess... Luckily so far the temp is still staying up there- was 31 this morning.. only had 4 new calves during the night, but when I came in after tagging them I think I was wetter than the calves......

They are saying we could get 3 or 4 more inches in next day or two--but you can keep the foot and the wind......

Oldtimer said:
TimH- Keep it up there- or better yet send it to rancher- let him cuss the beautiful moisture as he's warming cold wet calves-- We got a couple of inches last night- everything is a sloppy mess... Luckily so far the temp is still staying up there- was 31 this morning.. only had 4 new calves during the night, but when I came in after tagging them I think I was wetter than the calves......

They are saying we could get 3 or 4 more inches in next day or two--but you can keep the foot and the wind......

OT, just read in the butte paper that our moisture for february was at a 111 year low!! not good news.....been flurrying here all morning after raining most of yesterday!! the paper also said that many of the eastern montana counties are already seeing ranchers selling off their herds due to the drought!! what are you hearing in your neck of the woods?

ranchwife said:
Oldtimer said:

OT, just read in the butte paper that our moisture for february was at a 111 year low!! not good news.....been flurrying here all morning after raining most of yesterday!! the paper also said that many of the eastern montana counties are already seeing ranchers selling off their herds due to the drought!! what are you hearing in your neck of the woods?

Actually ranchwife- we're still in pretty good shape up here....About a 6-7 county area here in the northeast that had a record high moisture year last year-due in part to our 80+ inches of snow--- then we've gotten some snow and rain this winter and spring-- I think we're sitting at about normal for the year and about a 1/2 inch over for the month of March....... But south toward rancher is still pretty dry I guess....The only thing we're short of so far is runoff from the mountains for irrigating....

It's definately spring here. Grass is getting green, wildflowers are out, geese are flying, swans stopping over on the pond. Unfortunately most of the stock ponds are half full or less, some empty. Did get 7/10's of an inch of rain yesterday :D :D :D Supposed to keep it up through the weekend.

More wet sh.., I mean snow, coming down and about 10 cows ready to drop their calves probably tonight!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I love my job,I need the money.
I love my job, I need the money. :lol: :lol:

I heard a crow a couple days ago!!! I think spring is close!! Lots of geese going to Canada. I am waiting for my Meadow Lark, that is a sure sign of spring. :) :)

We've had crows all winter, the meadowlarks and killdeers have been here a couple weeks. Even saw a bluebird on the way to church.

Nicky said:
We've had crows all winter, the meadowlarks and killdeers have been here a couple weeks. Even saw a bluebird on the way to church.

Nicky are you just trying to make us feel bad? :wink: :cowboy:

Well Iguess we have had a Blue bird back for a few days already so spring can't be to far away.

Looks like the storm is past us- ended up with a little over two inches of snow and about a quarter inch of moisture-- sloppy mess last night, but its froze today- Only supposed to get about 30 today- but no wind- and the sun is shining...Back into the 50's by Friday-- Turned the cows out of the holding lot and sent them on their own again-- I did find one other reason I can't use one of Mikes bulls-- one of the cows that I missed and didn't get in before the storm showed up down in the hayfield-- when I drove over to check her I almost ran over the calf- white little fella thanks to a neighbors charlois bulls- blended right in with the snowbank he was laying by... Couple days old and doing fine.....

Les said:
Nicky how do you know the bluebird was going to church? :)
Was thinking the same thing on the way down to your post.
Those heathen geese just go right by!!!!

I knew there had to be a way you could tell.I am gonna have to pay more attention to what the birds here are wearing so i can tell where they might be going. :lol:

Nicky,

Gotta watch these guys, they'll pick up on anything to give you a bad time! For example, Jinglebob picks up on naughty words, whether flat out typed or implied.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Latest posts