• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Could use a good word.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
On Sunday we went to a memorial for an old time cowman we were neighbors to back at Dog Creek at the ranch we started on. He and part of his family moved to Saskatchewan about 15 years ago but we have kept in touch. BMR knows the same outfit.
We were also to see another old friend in Williams Lake on Monday that was visiting from his sister. This fellow called on Saturday night to let us know he would be there so we layed over an extra day in order to spend a few hours with him on Monday.
Monday morning Debbie let me know that the waterworks hadn't drained in 12 hours and that we should take her to a doctor. She was in Emergency for 4 hours while they did a scan and several tests. We got to visit our friend for about half an hour while tests were read. When we returned to the hospital we were in formed that a disc was bulging out on the inside of her spine, creating a pinch on the nerve that tells you it's time to go. We were told that if this condition is allowed to escalate that she could end up on dialysis for life and were directed to drive three hours to Kamloops for an MRI and likely surgury.
We arrived in Kamloops at 6:00 PM. By 9:00 PM she had been released. The doctor (quack) she saw there told her he had been in surgury for 16 hours that day and until she was writhing on the floor and screaming in pain from this condition she was not a priority. She is scheduled for the earliest possible opening for a cat scan, 3 days?, 3 weeks?, 3 months?. No date given. :mad: She has been going about every 12 to 14 hours, was told that if she doesn't go in 24 hours to seek help, other than that to not get excited.

A lot of anxiety here, could use a good word passed along.

The good old Socialized Medical Plan. :roll: :mad:

You holler if ya need something besides kind thoughts! Hope it all turns out alright. Sometimes I wonder about Doctors! :mad: If they make ya well, we quit writing them checks. Sounds like a conflict of interest don't it? :???: :?

Call up the first doctor you saw, tell him/her what happened, and make it sure they know you are mad as hell. Get an official referral, with a confirmation at the other end, and make it somewhere other than Kamloops.

And once again, make sure they know you are mad as hell. I bet you find the first doctor is just as mad as you are, when they hear this, because doctor #2 basically said that doctor #1 was wrong.

Stick up for yourself, don't take no for an answer, and keep at it. :!:

we will be keeping you in our thoughts....hope all works out well.

Kato said:
Call up the first doctor you saw, tell him/her what happened, and make it sure they know you are mad as hell. Get an official referral, with a confirmation at the other end, and make it somewhere other than Kamloops.

And once again, make sure they know you are mad as hell. I bet you find the first doctor is just as mad as you are, when they hear this, because doctor #2 basically said that doctor #1 was wrong.

Stick up for yourself, don't take no for an answer, and keep at it. :!:
\

Well said Kato,and if you hafta lie to the sorry SOB;s to get medical treatment.........so be it.
tell her we are all pullin for her........................good luck

Ditto with what kato said.... Hang in there....Keep the phone calls going. And don't give up.... What about the U.S.? Is that an option..... Worse comes to worse.. You know a fat angry white girl who can't put hay up and that is ruin with rain who is looking for a fight.... :twisted: :roll: :oops:

If this is what your first doctor was referring to, you must read this.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herniated-disk/DS00893/DSECTION=complications

This is from the Mayo Clinic, and maybe doctor #2 needs to brush up. I've found that the best results come when you learn as much as you can about whatever is going on with your health. That way you can make sure your doctor is aware of everything they need to be aware of, and you are also a lot harder to dismiss.

We're rooting for you!

Thanks everyone. Debbie is pretty jaded on dealing with doctors from having an ongoing battle over an old back injury that none of them want to deal with.
It may be more of a fight to get her to pursue finding a doctor that will help her than finding the doctor. :roll:

Been there. I've lived with the "back from hell" for many years. I guess that's why this thread has me so fired up.

I've seen doctors who's eyes glazed over as soon as you said the words "my back is hurting". I worked for a doctor for a couple of years, and he told me that this happens because so many people have back troubles, and a lot of the time, no cause can be found, and it's unbelievably frustrating to treat.

However, I think in your case, this is not some vague pain of unknown cause. She's got proof now of what's going on, and has a diagnosis. Now the job is to find a good doctor. This is serious stuff, and she needs to just keep pushing. I remember lots of times when I just wanted to give up and accept a life of pain. Lots of times. It can really get you down, and unless you've lived it you can't appreciate just how down you can get.

In my case, I did finally find that wonderful doctor you only dream about. Turns out my troubles were not the type you could fix with surgery, because they were not just in one spot. The meeting started out a little shakey with his comment that my CT scan looked pretty good, for a 90 year old. I was 40. Good grief! But it went uphill fast from there.

But just hearing from him that that he believed me was the most amazing relief. He, out of I don't know how many doctors figured out what was going on, and gave me a plan for dealing with it. It was like a giant load was taken off. I followed his plan, and things did get better. Now my back hardly ever bothers me, unless I do something stupid. :roll: :roll:

She needs to find a wonder doctor like I did. Don't let her give up, and if she doesn't feel like going to yet another one, set it up for her. What's going on with her back is much more serious than just an ache or a pain. When nerves are involved, it takes it to a whole new level. A nerve that is being irritated is also, over time, being damaged. And boy, you don't want that.

Here's a website that might help. http://www.ratemymd.ca/
People can actually go on line and rate the experiences they've had with their doctors. Hunt around. It's a good way to check out whoever you get referred to as well.

Whatever happens, don't let her give up. It can be fixed, and it will be worth the fight to get it done.

Sorry doctors, nurses, and office help is the reason I'll be at md anderson monday mornin. I don't even won't to get into all the crap I have put up with but would love to go up there and raise hell. I know this. She might get down with all this and u will need to help her find a good doc.

Oh boy, go away for a day and things fall apart. :shock: As a multiple disk, multiple time herniated disk patient I feel some of Debs pain. Don't give up being her advocate even when Deb gives up you can't. If you and Deb can prosper in some very tough country you can conquer this. I'm pulling for you. :wink:

Latest posts