• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Court: No Horse Slaughtering in Texas

Help Support Ranchers.net:

YOU EAT HORSE MEAT ?

• NO,NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES,I EAT HORSE MEAT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Saturday
January 20, 2007
Serving the
Texas Hill Country
since 1908

Jan 20, 4:15 PM EST

By RASHA MADKOUR
Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON (AP) -- A federal appeals court says slaughtering horses for meat is illegal in Texas, where the animals symbolize the Old West and where two of the nation's three processing plants are located.

The decision, issued Friday by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, overturns a lower court's ruling last year on a 1949 Texas law that banned horse slaughter for the purpose of selling the meat for food.

The lower court said the Texas law was invalid because it had been repealed by another statute and was pre-empted by federal law.

However, a panel of three judges on the 5th Circuit disagreed, saying the law still stood and was still enforceable.

The 5th Circuit decision also cited more than the law.

"The lone cowboy riding his horse on a Texas trail is a cinematic icon. Not once in memory did the cowboy eat his horse," wrote Judge Fortunato Benavides.

The ruling involves the Dallas Crown Inc. slaughter mill in Kaufman and Beltex Corp. in nearby Forth Worth. The nation's third plant is in Illinois, run by Cavel International Inc. at DeKalb. All three operations are foreign-owned.

A bill pending before Congress would shutter all three operations.

The plants ship the meat overseas, since it is considered a delicacy in parts of Europe and Asia.

About 88,000 horses, mules and other equines were slaughtered in 2005, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department.

While proponents such as the American Veterinary Medical Association say slaughter is a kind way to deal with old horses and a better alternative to abandonment, opponents including Texas oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens and country music star Willie Nelson have argued that the killing of equines is un-American - and that many young horses are killed as well.

The Humane Society of the United States, which filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case, applauded the 5th Circuit decision.

"This is the most important court action ever on the issue of horse slaughter," Wayne Pacelle, the society's president and chief executive, said in a statement. "When this ruling is enforced, a single plant in Illinois will stand alone in conducting this grisly business."

There was no immediate response to calls seeking comment Saturday from representatives of Dallas Crown and Beltex.

HAY MAKER said:
Saturday
January 20, 2007
Serving the
Texas Hill Country
since 1908

Jan 20, 4:15 PM EST

By RASHA MADKOUR
Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON (AP) -- A federal appeals court says slaughtering horses for meat is illegal in Texas, where the animals symbolize the Old West and where two of the nation's three processing plants are located.

The decision, issued Friday by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, overturns a lower court's ruling last year on a 1949 Texas law that banned horse slaughter for the purpose of selling the meat for food.

The lower court said the Texas law was invalid because it had been repealed by another statute and was pre-empted by federal law.

However, a panel of three judges on the 5th Circuit disagreed, saying the law still stood and was still enforceable.

The 5th Circuit decision also cited more than the law.

"The lone cowboy riding his horse on a Texas trail is a cinematic icon. Not once in memory did the cowboy eat his horse," wrote Judge Fortunato Benavides.

The ruling involves the Dallas Crown Inc. slaughter mill in Kaufman and Beltex Corp. in nearby Forth Worth. The nation's third plant is in Illinois, run by Cavel International Inc. at DeKalb. All three operations are foreign-owned.

A bill pending before Congress would shutter all three operations.

The plants ship the meat overseas, since it is considered a delicacy in parts of Europe and Asia.

About 88,000 horses, mules and other equines were slaughtered in 2005, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department.

While proponents such as the American Veterinary Medical Association say slaughter is a kind way to deal with old horses and a better alternative to abandonment, opponents including Texas oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens and country music star Willie Nelson have argued that the killing of equines is un-American - and that many young horses are killed as well.

The Humane Society of the United States, which filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case, applauded the 5th Circuit decision.

"This is the most important court action ever on the issue of horse slaughter," Wayne Pacelle, the society's president and chief executive, said in a statement. "When this ruling is enforced, a single plant in Illinois will stand alone in conducting this grisly business."

There was no immediate response to calls seeking comment Saturday from representatives of Dallas Crown and Beltex.

Is this Hollywood making policy for agriculture?

im sorry folks, i had to get in on this. no, i dont eat horses, nor do i know anyone who does. the sad reality is though, the slaughter market does drive the horse market. whether we like it or not europe does set the price when we go to the sale. no, i dont like it, but it's the truth. if we didn't have a killer market we wouldnt havent any horsemarket. yes it does suck , but thats the way it is. there are too many horses out there for the market. surely ya'll dont think every horse goes to a loving home filled with oats and hay. that is not the way the ball bounces. yes it sux, but its true. the killer market is what drives all markets. would you rather have horses dumped out to fend for themselves, or have their suffering ended? i know, it is not pleasent to think of, but good lord. if you own livestock you need to find the most econical solution.

im sorry folks, i had to get in on this. no, i dont eat horses, nor do i know anyone who does. the sad reality is though, the slaughter market does drive the horse market. whether we like it or not europe does set the price when we go to the sale. no, i dont like it, but it's the truth. if we didn't have a killer market we wouldnt havent any horsemarket. yes it does suck , but thats the way it is. there are too many horses out there for the market. surely ya'll dont think every horse goes to a loving home filled with oats and hay. that is not the way the ball bounces. yes it sux, but its true. the killer market is what drives all markets. would you rather have horses dumped out to fend for themselves, or have their suffering ended? i know, it is not pleasent to think of, but good lord. if you own livestock you need to find the most econical solution.

Well I have no problem shooting a horse or dog when the time comes,been there done that,but no horse I own will ever get eaten,and I have no use for anyone that eats or sells horses for slaughter ..............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Well I have no problem shooting a horse or dog when the time comes,been there done that,but no horse I own will ever get eaten,and I have no use for anyone that eats or sells horses for slaughter ..............good luck

Its all a part of the circle of life they are animals no different than cattle I've had some horses that garner no respect.I guess maybe it's the indian in me that says eat that pony mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If you were starveing it would look pretty good send those live horses to some starveing people they would make use of it.

Next thing you will want is the government issueiung permits to own a horse your R-CALF Gods can see this is'nt a good thing..

Texas and Oklahoma have long be known to raise lots of good Quarter Horses. Due to the drought this year, many sound young horses were sold at cattle auctions for 26 cents to 40 per pound. Many good cattle were sold a little below normal as well. When these same horses were hauled up to the horse sales (Round Mountain for instance) usually brought more. Most good horses, broke to use, brought $700 to $1,500.

I'd rather have horsemen setting the price, than cattlemen.

I'm glad horse slaughter is shut down. There are other reasons as well, the slaughter has created more government regulaltions on sale barns, and purchsers (just more government empoyess to garner more favorable votes for the politicians.)

I'm also sure, this victory is temporary, as the Federal Govenment is very profit driven, and will try to overide State's Rights yet again.

Denny said:
HAY MAKER said:

Its all a part of the circle of life they are animals no different than cattle I've had some horses that garner no respect.I guess maybe it's the indian in me that says eat that pony mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If you were starveing it would look pretty good send those live horses to some starveing people they would make use of it.

Next thing you will want is the government issueiung permits to own a horse your R-CALF Gods can see this is'nt a good thing..

Now you know the reason ,I have no use for you..........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Denny said:
HAY MAKER said:

Now you know the reason ,I have no use for you..........good luck

Well, you won't have any use for me either, Haymaker, but I still kind of like you regardless. We need the packing horse industry. The county roads are going to be overrun with unwanted unusable horses when the slaughter ban goes into effect. There are thousands of horses in the United States and Canada, and there has to be a place to go with the culls.

Sure, an old pet horse that becomes part of the family is different. They can be buried in the family plot, with a preacher on duty to conduct the funeral service if that is what is wanted. For every old deserving pet, there are probably ninety-nine other equines that are just plain old horses. We need a place to humanely and efficiently dispose of these horses when they get old or unusable.

A horse is just an animal, like cattle, hogs, chickens, sheep, dogs and cats. Sure, a person can have favorite pets out of any of these species. A favorite pet is different; do with them what you want. Pay for them to spend their last years in a retirement center if you wish, but still allow a packing plant for others not held in such high esteem.

Humans are omnivores, designed to take nourishment from both animal meat and plant vegetation. Slaughter houses are necessary to turn livestock into edible meat. Animal by-products are necessary in every other facet of life, also. If the horse slaughter industry in banned, it is a "foot-in-the-door" for animal rights groups to ultimately ban the slaughter of cattle, hogs, sheep, and poultry. Haymaker, do you wish to be a vegan the rest of your life, or do you enjoy a good steak as much as I do? Think of the eventual consequenses if the horse slaughter industry is outlawed.

For cowboy purists like Roper AB, if the horse slaughter ban is imposed, I guarantee more cattle ranches than ever will resort to using four-wheelers. If there is no floor price (killer market) for horses, many ranches that currently raise and use horses will discontinue the practice. If there is no financially efficient way to market excess horses, these good cowboy outfits will ride four-wheelers because they will have to just to be able to stay in business.

I have no problem with regulations for humane treatment and transportation rules.

That said more horses will be miss treated by not having horse slaughter plants. No one says you have to sell your horse but many don't take responsbility for their property.

We had a person move down here,best I can remember he was from mn.bought a shetland pony at the sale barn once,there are a few gathering places for us red necks to play dominoes,have a beer or two,I will always remember the day he was up there telling the story about buying/butchering that shetland pony......and I bet he does too,caint say what happened to him,I guess he moved on,as he became the most unpopular guy in this county,as a matter of fact feed store would'nt even do buisness with him.
I know there are too many wild horses in some states, I also know they need to be humanely disposed of,that dont include eating them,down here horses are mighty special companions,we dont eat horse meat,I wonder if some of these folks that eat horse meat would like a little dog meat too,lots of curr dogs around..............good luck
PS dont read anything into my posts soapweed,I have no problem shooting a horse if necessary,but there aint enough money on planet earth to get me to eat one.

Faster horses said:
This is a touchy subject for sure.

I love horses, always have.

Do I think we need a horse slaughter industry.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I do.

Soapweed and BMR made some good statements.
I agree with them (again.)

Well,as they say..........that's what makes a horse race,differnce of opinion.
Those folks in france wait for me to feed them horse meat,they are gonna get mighty thin............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Faster horses said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I do.

Those folks in france wait for me to feed them horse meat,they are gonna get mighty thin............good luck

Here is another way of looking at the deal, Haymaker. If horse meat is so bad, and the United States can sell such bad stuff to the French and make money on it, wouldn't we be plumb stupid not to? The European Community won't take our beef. If we can supply them with horsemeat, for a valuable profit, let's go for it.

Even if horsemeat would be considered unfit for human consumption, it could still be utilized for pet food, soap, fertilizer, cosmetics, medicine, and other valuable products. Waste not, want not. There is too much economic value in horse by-products to just throw it away, or worse yet have to pay to have a dead horse hauled off. It is a lot more humane to send a horse to slaughter than to watch it get skinny and suffer before dying or being put down.

If they want to outlaw something, that should be.
IF I WAS A LIBERAL that's what I'd be screaming about:

Thin, sick, old horses left to die...

But this is NOT a perfect world, and when we get government
interference, there is no telling how far it would go. Got to
remember that, every law/act sets a precedence.

Imperfect as we are, it is better than government interference
at all levels.

Soapweed said:
HAY MAKER said:
Faster horses said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I do.

Here is another way of looking at the deal, Haymaker. If horse meat is so bad, and the United States can sell such bad stuff to the French and make money on it, wouldn't we be plumb stupid not to? The European Community won't take our beef. If we can supply them with horsemeat, for a valuable profit, let's go for it.

Even if horsemeat would be considered unfit for human consumption, it could still be utilized for pet food, soap, fertilizer, cosmetics, medicine, and other valuable products. Waste not, want not. There is too much economic value in horse by-products to just throw it away, or worse yet have to pay to have a dead horse hauled off. It is a lot more humane to send a horse to slaughter than to watch it get skinny and suffer before dying or being put down.

I would'nt wait for my horses to get skinny and suffer before I put them outa their misery,again I have no problem disposing of a horse if it's necessary,but I damn sure aint an advocate of horse meat for human consumption,horses and dogs are something very special in this part of the country..............good luck
PS I dont think there is one frenchman that is worthy of eatin the stringiest mustang you can find.

Now the other side of the story..........

Horse slaughter ban re-introduced in House, Senate
Friday, January 19, 2007, 4:31 PM

by Peter Shinn

Audio related to this story

AUDIO: Interview with John McBride (5 1/2 min MP3).

The House of Representatives last year passed legislation to ban federally inspected horse slaughter in the U.S. Federal inspection of meat from slaughtered horses allows it to be exported to countries like France and Belgium where horsemeat is considered a delicacy. The bill died in the Senate after farm state lawmakers blocked it. But now its back, as lawmakers re-introduced the measure in both chambers of Congress this week.

More than 200 groups and associations oppose the horse slaughter ban, including virtually all U.S. ag groups. The Kansas City, Missouri-based Livestock Marketing Association (LMA), which represents the nation's livestock auction markets, has led efforts to block the bill.

Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu (D), one of the original co-sponsors of the Senate version of the bill to ban horse slaughter, said in a press release that it's "cruel and inhumane" to slaughter horses for human consumption. The Landrieu press release didn't say why it's crueler to slaughter a horse for food than it is to slaughter a cow, pig or chicken for that purpose.

LMA Director of Information John McBride told Brownfield the issue of horse slaughter is primarily an emotional matter, with supporters of a ban equating horses with household pets like dogs and cats. Even so, McBride argued euthanizing dogs and cats can be the most humane way to treat them in certain circumstances. And he said taking an aged, infirm or lame horse to a slaughter facility is little different.

Supporters of a horse slaughter ban decry that fact that up to 90,000 such horses are slaughtered each year. But McBride pointed out disposing of 90,000 horses each year, absent slaughter facilities, would be a daunting task.

"As one of are market owners in Iowa said to me, 'What do they want us to do with a thirteen-hundred pound horse - take it out behind the barn and bury it? '" McBride related. "I mean, these are not pets - these are not kittens - these are not dogs," he declared. "These are livestock and they deserve to be treated humanely."

Perhaps more importantly, said McBride, is if Congress bans horse slaughter, there's no telling what they'll ban next. "Once you get on that slippery slope of telling people what they can do with their livestock, where do you stop?" asked McBride.

The Humane Society of the U.S. (HSUS), an animal right activist group that operates no local animal shelters, is among the strongest supporters of a horse slaughter ban. Brownfield contacted the group, but HSUS officials weren't immediately available for comment.

Look im not scared to admit I've sold a horses that wouldnt warrant spending $30 to get it coggins tested just to sell it.I needed to get rid of it,and i knew in a day or so,it would be noones problem.Say what you will,but its the truth,hurt as it may...

Latest posts