• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow/calf Catchin

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Here's a few pics from this past week when we had to catch a cow that kept gittin out on the road. Can't find where she's gittin out..or back in. Daggum escape artist, so rather than hang on to her and let someone run over her in the middle of the road one night, we opted to take her and the calf for a long ride in a short trailer.

Pasture ropin #17
Pasture-Ropin-17.jpg

Pasture Roped #17
Pasture-Roped-17.jpg

Pasture Loadin #17
Pasture-Loadin-17.jpg

Pasture #17 calf
Pasture-catch-17-calf.jpg

Is that a Red Bone I see in that picture? And why is that calf tied to the horses tail? AND...why were you allowed to take pictures and not over there tailing that cow in the trailer...haha....that would of been grounds for a good cussing on our place...lol

I have no idea what kinda dog that is. Belongs to one of the guys that came n helped. They usually have cur/pit bull crosses. That they use for hog dogs as well as cow workin.
The calf is tied to the horses tail cuz after catching the cow the calf went all the way to the backside of the place and we just put a rope on it like a halter and tied it to horses tail and he was lead back to the trailer.

thats a lil trailer I just bought from the FFA/Ag mechanics class at school.
Comes in handy when you just need to haul one cow instead of draggin the big trailer. Maneuvers around in the pasture better too.

When you hunt hogs with dogs n horses, that's how you drag out your hog. Tie it up and drag it out tied to the horses tail. Most hog hunters dont kill the hogs they just catch them live with dogs and then sell them or feed em out.

He he he...they are everwhere now that it's finally rained..I'll hafta git ya some pics of em n post em. Daddy in law killed one the other mornin on his way back from havin coffee with the ole farts , I got up to take daughter to school and he's out there with one strung up in the tree skinnin it.

Hmmm...I would have never thotto tie to a tail, we use our saddle horns...hat is the advantage of tail vs. horn??

Had to laugh at first picture....seems like cows that are the most trouble are also the ones that run with the tail straight up in the air,

PPRM

Why don't you just daly to the saddle horn? This looks like a wreak waiting to happen. Bet it puts a horse back out in the process. Have you ever had a calf come under your horse with this tail pulling, calf dragging prodedure? hmmmm I don't like to tie on hard on the saddle horn, this looks like it would be worse.

I quite often tie my pack string head to tail, but you gotta make sure you've got tailbone in the mix. Amazing what a horse can pull with it's tail. Having said that, it would be a long cold day in hell before you'd cath me trying that trick. I like to be able to let go when the situation calls for it.
Thanks for the picks, nice to see cowfolks in action.

rancher said:
Why don't you just daly to the saddle horn? This looks like a wreak waiting to happen. Bet it puts a horse back out in the process. Have you ever had a calf come under your horse with this tail pulling, calf dragging prodedure? hmmmm I don't like to tie on hard on the saddle horn, this looks like it would be worse.

Me TOO-- I used to have an old saddle horse that we tied his hind foot up to his tail to shoe- but I don't think this roping trick is for anyone except someone wanting to meet nurses :wink: .....

One of these days I'm gonna live someplace where you can ride without chaps. Nothing like 100 plus days and shotguns to kind of drive the romance right out of cow works. :)

HaHa ya'll makin it sound like he tied the Cow to the horses tail geeze it was a calf. Sides that calf walked behind that horse for about a mile. He wasn't goin no where, cept right behind that horse. We've had calves come in with the herd that walked right up under horses all the way.
Most of the time we do wear chinks, We have bushes with thorns all over the place.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
HaHa ya'll makin it sound like he tied the Cow to the horses tail geeze it was a calf. Sides that calf walked behind that horse for about a mile. He wasn't goin no where, cept right behind that horse. We've had calves come in with the herd that walked right up under horses all the way.
Most of the time we do wear chinks, We have bushes with thorns all over the place.
J_lilly - I notice you are in S. E. Texas! Yes-s-s - you DO have Bushes with thorns ALL OVER THE PLACE! Also, Mesquite (with THORNS) also - Cactus (with THORNS) also FIRE ANTS (with THORNS) also Jackalopes (with HORNS)! :shock: :lol:

DOC (with THORNS ) HARRIS

Latest posts