• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow/calf Catchin

Help Support Ranchers.net:

what kind of rodeo was involved getting him tied to the tail-when I have to bring a calf in I usually drive him in front of me and use the rope to steer him. I thought Haymaker was only Bass Ackwards Texan-JKING.

weren't no rodeo gittin the calf tied onto the tail, the horse is used to it.
we have a creek that crosses the middle of our place and drivin em across when it's just one don't always work. They pasture roped this calf so he was already kinda tuckered out..he gave no fight whatsoever comin in. Much easier to lead him in that try to carry him across the saddle.

Doc, Thank goodness we dont have any mesquite here where we are, but plenty of redhawl bushes just as bad, but in the process of clearin those out. And very few cactus. Enuff fire ants that we can afford to share with any of you that are interested hehe And I've yet to see my first jackalope.

Great pictures, I need to get a digital camera.You run across stuff and say man I wish I had a camera, like the time my dogs were baying a dead cow carcass, and I rode up and said look at those dumbass dogs, about that time a hog came runnin out of the carcass.

Exactly my feelings today when I went thru town and a friend of mine showed up pullin a trailer with a BIG HAWG in it. I was kickin myself cuz the one time I leave the house without my camera I NEEDED it!!!! I ewww'd n awwww'd over this hawg....then a lil light come on in my head (((duh...ya gotta camera on yer phone)))) so here's a pic for you TXTibbs it aint the greatest cuz he was in a stock trailer and chomp chompin' his teeth together real close to the slats on the trailer. Best I could do on short notice. but I weren't gonna let him eat my phone. hehe

BigHog08-11-05.jpg

yeap that's like what we hunt n kill...I was so mad that I couldnt git a side view....but he wanted to eat my hand.....n yer welcome..I still gonna look and see if I can find the pics of some we've got n send em to ya...

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
weren't no rodeo gittin the calf tied onto the tail, the horse is used to it.
we have a creek that crosses the middle of our place and drivin em across when it's just one don't always work. They pasture roped this calf so he was already kinda tuckered out..he gave no fight whatsoever comin in. Much easier to lead him in that try to carry him across the saddle.

Doc, Thank goodness we dont have any mesquite here where we are, but plenty of redhawl bushes just as bad, but in the process of clearin those out. And very few cactus. Enuff fire ants that we can afford to share with any of you that are interested hehe And I've yet to see my first jackalope.
You have NEVER seen a Jackalope? :shock: :shock:

The way I hear it - they have a tendency to hide out in the middle of the heat of the day - and come out at dusk and dawn. :???: Because they are a cross breed (Heterosis) they have traits of BOTH the Jack Rabbit AND the Antelope. Their legs are L-o-o-o-n-n-g, their ears are L-o-o-o-o-n-g and they can hear a snicker about two miles away so don't laugh at them. They are very sensitive in that regard! And JUMP! :shock: :shock: I hear that they can stand flat-footed and jump straight up in the air about the height of a Dairy barn silo, and SIDE ways the length of a semi-trailer! :? And their antlers - they seem to be able to move them like their ears! Strange critters :shock: :eek: . But if they like you they will do anything for you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Exactly my feelings today when I went thru town and a friend of mine showed up pullin a trailer with a BIG HAWG in it. I was kickin myself cuz the one time I leave the house without my camera I NEEDED it!!!! I ewww'd n awwww'd over this hawg....then a lil light come on in my head (((duh...ya gotta camera on yer phone)))) so here's a pic for you TXTibbs it aint the greatest cuz he was in a stock trailer and chomp chompin' his teeth together real close to the slats on the trailer. Best I could do on short notice. but I weren't gonna let him eat my phone. hehe

BigHog08-11-05.jpg

That damn hog,is very familiar looking,they can get thick.I saw a few sows crossing my road along a creek bottom yesterday,and there was no way you could have counted the baby pigs they had with them.Cuss em every time I bale these fields along the creek,cause in the center of the fields is where they like to nest,there will be several 2 to 3 acre places where the hay is trampled flat,no way you;re gonna cut or bale it :mad: ...................good luck PS nice pics Lilly

Yeap outta controll in a hurry. They usually have about 13 or 14 to a litter n ever daggum one survives. And no tellin how many litters one sow has a year. There's been nights we've gone out with a spot light and seen 40 to 50 in a bunch. THAT can ruin a hay field over night. They git to rootin and it looks like someone's been in there with a root plow and turned it all under.

Yeap outta controll in a hurry. They usually have about 13 or 14 to a litter n ever daggum one survives. And no tellin how many litters one sow has a year. There's been nights we've gone out with a spot light and seen 40 to 50 in a bunch. THAT can ruin a hay field over night. They git to rootin and it looks like someone's been in there with a root plow and turned it all under.

You are sure right about plowing Lilly,I have a set of pens for sorting,one morning I was down there and I noticed the dirt turned,this is in a set of pens that has plenty compaction,damn dirt is like concrete in there,well make a long story short they plowed every bit of that hard pan,took me a while to believe that they could be that tuff,but its true and they did a damn good job too :D .....................good luck PS I guess they figgered since they did a lil plowing for me they would they would pay them selves in Hay,I was late getting around to moving some round bales off a creek bottom field,damn hogs went around to at least 100 bales pulling the center out of them getting to some grain heads.

Do you eat the hogs a lot? I bet some of them old big boars taste about like shoe leather tho don't they? The yearling piglets would be great tho. Mix them with a little deer meat or something. Jersy I'll be coming over to pick me up some young hog meat!! j/k

Are there any kinds of laws as far as hunting/shooting/killing these hogs?

Having come from South Dakota, wild hogs are a new thing to me. I hear the stories about people hunting them with dogs and damn that would be fun. And do you stick them with knives like some people do? Yikes i am not sure i'd want to wade into a thicket full of snarling dogs and hogs to slit anythings throat! :p

the boars are nasty, they have a smell that is in the meat..usually if a boar is killed it's left layin. unless it's a real young one. sows dont have that smell. We hunt mostly with a gun...them thangs are vicious they'll come after you. They have huge tusks that can rip ya up.

There have been nights we go out and kill 4 or 5 weighin 150 to 200 lbs..thems good size ones. then come home n clean hogs half the night. They have very little fat on them so there's no bacon to be had. so far the best we can come up with is to cut the backstrap up to fry. and grind the rest up to make sausage. Usually hafta go to the local meat market and ask them to save some pork fat to mix in with it so it's not dry. then we stuff in it casings, and smoke it. usually keep some for pan sausage (breakfast)

As for laws..there is a hog season that you can hunt in the national forest...I'm not sure when it is tho. But here in texas if it's a nuisance animal that is causing damage to property or crops you can kill it anytime of the year. Also since they are a problem animal they can be hunted at night with a spotlight.

"When in Rome do as the Romans do."
Different country and conditions call for diferent ways of doing things.
Thanks for the pictures.

Latest posts