• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cow / calf pairs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
wondering what the market is in your area on pairs. we are going to sell of the cows after we are done calving, about 50% done now. 40 cows from heifer up to 8 years old. some all Hereford, some have black baldie calves.... I want to be as greedy as I can, but fair. been hearing some outrageous numbers but figured that was coffee shop exaggeration

As bad as I dislike the Valentine sale barn, I would load them up and send them there. I have a friend that bought bred 8 year olds a month ago, and gave $2700 for them. Can't help you on pairs.

Get ahold of Lonnie Weidel in Hebron. If he doesn't want them himself, he'll know somebody who does. He should also know what an honest, no BS price is for them. Screw running them through a barn and paying commish.

Yesterday at Valentine Livestock, there were very nice Angus first-calf heifer pairs (January and February 200 pound calves) that brought from $2850 to $3375 per pair. Some nice Red Angus solid mouth cow-calf pairs (200 pound calves, 1400 pound cows) brought from $2975 to $3430. Broken mouthed and short-solid cows with calves at side brought from $2100 to $2400.

Jigs' problem is he is around 300 miles from the Heart City.

The guys paying those prices better hope that they'll have grass. We just had .53 over the last few days. First moisture in 2 months. It's horribly dry here and pasture is looking sketchy if something doesn't happen soon.

March Salina cow sale first calf heifer pairs were bringing from 3300 to 4100 a pair. Had a friend that was there. Red angus with older calves brought a bunch.

Pairs aren't as high here but still bringing $2600-$3000. Like Faster Horses we have no moisture. 2 fires so far and its still March. Spooky. Good luck selling your cows Jigs. Hope they sell great for ya. You picked a dandy time to cash in your chips.

littlejoe said:
how much does it cost to sell in ring? In Montana, as high as 2.75%. Do the math on that one on $3,000 prs.

In Salina it has cost right at $72 a pair for last few years including bringing them down day before and feed one day. Their cow sales must be some sort of flat fee as the prices have been lots different.

Have heard of heifer pairs bringing $2500 in Marysville and Belleville so I would make the effort to get them to Salina.

The market for Hereford females is out of this world. You'd be stark raving mad to sell them at a salebarn. Use the cattle range or one of the Facebook pages and the young pairs should be worth at least 3500 on up if they are decent.

Springfield MO had a special sale Saturday night. Good young 3 n 1's brought $4300. Crazy IMO

I just bought a bunch of cows this last fall, and was telling the better half the other day that if someone offered me $3700 a pair I would sell out in a minute.......so she has to be the level headed one and asks me, "well if you sell them, then what will you do?" I guess I really hadn't thought that far ahead.....Guess they are all here for the long haul.....(maybe if someone offered me $4100 :wink: )

I have thought about selling out - - - I'm sure my wife could find a place for the money - - - but I really get enjoyment out of them and the grand-kids sure seem to bond with me because of them and the dogs.

I've never been accused of being smart so I guess I will continue enjoying life!

Not too many years ago, I thought if I could get a thousand dollars per head for bred cows, I'd sell out in a heart-beat. The chance came, but I kept finding excuses to not do it. Even though cattle are quite a bit higher now, excuses keep cropping up in my head. Dad said when he was a kid, back in the 1930's, his dad sold steer calves for ten cents per pound. Dad's thought at the time was that if you could just lock in that exorbitant price for all the years to come, life would be grand. It's all relative, I reckon. :)

For those wise few who are debt free, wouldn't the reality of the taxes make it make selling out pretty questionable? Maybe selling enough to get debt free, plus some savings or retirement and hope there were still enough to run the ranch on a 'drought proof' (meaning seriously under stocked, imo, basis might appeal to some.

But I've always believed farming and ranching can be an addiction, as well as a business, or even a 'way of life' for some. Maybe a mixture....because of the amount of time (a lifetime?) it takes to really learn it all, if that is even possible.

mrj

As much as I would like to buy a few more cows..... at that price I don't have a sharp enough pencil to make it work. Say 3000 purchase price. Cost to run for a year 500 plus vet and mineral expenses, calves bring 1500 you are looking three years to break even and you are putting a lot of faith in an unfaithful market. To those who are selling at this price, Congratulations......to those buying at these prices, I wish you luck

Latest posts