• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cow/calf software

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jillaroo

Reaction score
Is anyone using a software program for their cow/calf operation?
I need a program for upwards of 800 head, that I can enter data on calving, mass treatments, individual treatments, shipping, etc.. Something similar to the FHARM program would be ideal.
As well, I want to be able to use a tag reader to scan the RFID tag and have the cow's printed tag and history appear on the screen.
Does such a program exist?

We use CowSense from Midwest MicroSystems in Lincoln, Nebraska. It does all of the things that you mentioned. It takes some education to learn how to use the program but once you do it is sure a good one, especially for a large number of cows. I think it's easily worth the price but I can't remember exactly what the price was. You can do remote backups through an internet connection so your data is always safe on another server. I give it high marks but it's the only such program that I am familiar with.

Have you checked out Ranch Manager from Lionedge.com ? The only thing that they don't have is mass treatments, but I hope they are working on adding that.

I am pretty sure you can do mass treatments with Ranch Manager. Unless you are calling mass treatments something I don't understand. If you highlight all of the cows that you want to treat and then click on the "Treat Animal(s)" tab it will let you type in one treatment for the whole group.

Randi there is a way to do it on Ranch Manager.
If you are doing vaccines for your calf crop you bring up your calf crop. Click on the first one then hold down the Ctrl button and click on each calf treated. Still holding the Ctrl button click on Action and the vaccine icon. Then enter your info.
can do it the same way with the cows and bulls.

Check out CCHMS. is a great system.Birth to slaughter data. even has a feed recording record system with it. Takes carcass data back to genetics.so many things you can do with it.

jillaroo said:
Anyone use Herdmaster Canada?

yes....wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy..not user friendly at all, steep, steep learning curve and expensive to boot. I have used AIMS and really like, but it doesn't have the RFID scan tool, Cattle Max is pretty good, has a few hiccups, but pretty good over all

You can try out Ranch Manager for free.
I tried Cattle Max (?) and it was expensive and hard to understand.

RM has a lot of those features too. I just do not use it to it's full potentional.

I Luv Herfrds said:
You can try out Ranch Manager for free.
I tried Cattle Max (?) and it was expensive and hard to understand.

RM has a lot of those features too. I just do not use it to it's full potentional.

Cattle Max has a free trial as well, I believe its a month, but not 100% sure, it also has PB or commercial editions depending on what your needs are

With Ranch Manager, can I attach a RFID reader and scan each cow as they come through the chute to have the records come up? Will the program identify the cow by her RFID tag and the numbered herd tag?

Latest posts