• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow circles

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wow FH, I am surprised to hear that! I figured you had seen some deep snow. Several winters in Colorado we had 6 feet of snow accumulate and had to shovel out by all the house windows and doors where it was up to the eave from sliding off the metal roof. The barn roof made a great sled run.

We got 2 inches here last night and I have yet to get out and clear my drive and walks. I like to do it before someone pulls in and packs it down. My normal sweetheart disposition gets really fowl when that happens. 🐔

Similar to our old Colorado barn known as Mt. Barn Sled slope during the snowy months. I could toboggan sled all the way down to the school bus stop, even after stopping to load on the 3 Wrangler boys. Thanks to the Wranglers boys' mom, I had the uphill ride back home in her pickup since the roads were then plowed. I left my sled in the bus stop shed. No one ever bothered it.

Similar to our barn during the snowy months
View attachment 2619
We had a bad 3-day blizzard once that came with 98 mph winds. Lots of livestock was lost, including some of ours. That started on Good Friday, 1973. We had drifts in draws until the 4th of July.
Sheepmen friends of ours lost 800 head of sheep. A lady sheep rancher over by Gillette had put her sheep in a shed as they had just been sheared. The wind blew the snow into the shed and made it so tight that the sheep smothered. She said the ones on the bottom were cooked. She lost 1500 head right then. When things cleared up they dug deep trenches to put them in.

She told this story, "We were disposing of the dead sheep and I had on a slicker, mud boots, gloves and hat and I smelled like nothing you had ever smelt before. A couple of guys came along looking for work. She told them, "the pay is bad, the food is worse, but where else could you work for a sex symbol?"

We had a bad 3-day blizzard once that came with 98 mph winds. Lots of livestock was lost, including some of ours. That started on Good Friday, 1973. We had drifts in draws until the 4th of July.
Sheepmen friends of ours lost 800 head of sheep. A lady sheep rancher over by Gillette had put her sheep in a shed as they had just been sheared. The wind blew the snow into the shed and made it so tight that the sheep smothered. She said the ones on the bottom were cooked. She lost 1500 head right then. When things cleared up they dug deep trenches to put them in.

She told this story, "We were disposing of the dead sheep and I had on a slicker, mud boots, gloves and hat and I smelled like nothing you had ever smelt before. A couple of guys came along looking for work. She told them, "the pay is bad, the food is worse, but where else could you work for a sex symbol?"
that spring storm, A friend told me over that way shearing crew of around 10 people spent those 3 days in a travel trailer, they didn't like each other much time storm was over. most of the sheared sheep were dead too.

Last edited:

Latest posts