• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow Deaths

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cedardell

Reaction score
Has anyone heard about the mysterious deaths of 200 cows in Stocton Ca.? It must have happened about a week or two ago?

Seems like I remember these were holstein steers that died. Here's what I found online.

This is an UPDATE on what they may have died from.

The 200 dead cattle were discovered on a farm field on 4th Street in Amherst. Sunday, the bodies were taken out in semi-loads to be disposed of.

The farm's veterinarian says preliminary results show the animals died of acute interstitial pneumonia, also known as AIP. Samples from the dead animals were sent to Madison for testing.

The vet says the steers began to die early last week, with the last dying Saturday. The animals started showing symptoms of illness and then died within 12 hours. The vet says animals didn't respond to treatment.

The herd's owner declined to comment on the situation.

Investigators say there is no threat to people or other animals. The Portage County Humane Society is investigating the deaths.

The cattle on the farm are not quarantined.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That makes more sense than the first ideas. AIP is a weird disease. It is a pneumonia because pneumonia, by definition, is just an inflammation of the lungs from any cause. Last I knew, they didn't know for sure how AIP works, but it can be feed related. Often on lush pasture but at other times too, something they eat releases something that damages the lungs. The microscpic air sacs rupture and you get the equivalent of big bubbles in the lungs which don't do a lot of good for oxygen exchange. And these animals are really fragile. You try to move them off the pasture at a walk and they keel over and die on you for lack of oxygen. The news reports said they were found in a field, which fits. Less likely if they were in a feedlot. Huge loss, but not infectious. Maybe they know what causes AIP for sure now (my information is a few years old) but it still is an unusual deal and often affects a herd. I feel for the farmer.

To those that took the time to respond. I feel better now. The article I read infered it could be from radiation from our "Star Wars " defense system. It's good to have a site like this where you can communicate with so many learned people. Thanks again Buck :D

Mystery of 200 Dead Cows in Wisconsin Solved
Jan 29, 2011 – 4:02 PM

Hugh Collins - Contributor

Authorities investigating the deaths of 200 cows in Wisconsin have come up with an unlikely culprit: the sweet potato.

The cows were found dead in a Stockton pasture two weeks ago. Locals were left scratching their heads about what caused the mass die-off.

Investigators from the University of Wisconsin have determined that the animals were killed by a poison found in spoiled sweet potatoes that were part of the cattle's feed.

"It is likely that a mycotoxin from moldy sweet potato was a major factor in the disease and deaths of these steers," said Peter Vanderloo, associate director of the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory.

There's been a spate of mass animal deaths in recent weeks, from fish in Maryland and Arkansas to birds in Louisiana and South Dakota.

The farmer who owned the cows had thought they might have fallen victim to disease such as infectious bovine rhinotracheitis, according to The Wisconsin Rapids Tribune. Vanderloo and his team ruled that out.

"None of the major respiratory pathogens of cattle were identified in the samples provided to the lab," said Vanderloo.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/29/mystery-of-200-dead-cows-in-wisconsin-solved/?test=latestnews

Things may be different in other places.

Been around the oil patch my whole life. My dad was known from here to Texas as being the toughest SOB to get along with in the patch, LOL.

Was in OK one time and they heard I was from Eastern MT, started talking about this mean SOB. It was my dad. Wasn't really a big deal; he just wanted them to stay where they were supposed to stay.

We've got pictures from the 60's and 70's when they would come through and leave gates open, etc. Even lost cows one time that got in an oil filled sump. Have pictures from '84 when one guy decided to cut across a private dry weather two-track when it was wet. Tracks are still there, 25 years later.

Latest posts