• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow fighting New Born Calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The bell curve on EXT's is interesting-seems about 15% are quiet as dead pigs-70% are normal cows-it's the bad 15% that are scary. I must be mellowing with age that's a pretty mild rant lol. I guess do what you have to do to get this calf saved then off with her head. I had an old red baldie cow wouldn't root her calf but she'd beller at it loud enough to wake you up at night. She was all bluff but it was quite a show for sure.

tenbach79 said:
:mad: Had a cow this morning that just had a newborn calf and fought that poor calf all the way down the side of a hill. I seen the cow was calving and she had the feet out and everything was looking good so I left her alone and went and started to feed and put cake out. When I came out with the cake pickup I seen here fighting the calf. Got the calf in the pickup and in the barn and then went out with the 4 wheeler and got the cow in. I have had good luck with that O-No-Mo stuff so I put that on the calf so will see if it works this time. What do some of you guys do? One time when I was a kid my dad put the calf in the bucket of the tractor and tied the calf so he couldn't get out but the cow couldn't get him but still could smell him. It worked alright from what I remember.

It is so frustrating when you see something like that but I guess thats the joys of raising cattle.

Well it's been a few years but I use to give a shot of Oxytocin (the Vet said with in 24 hours - I seldom gave it after 10 hours)

What is the function of the hormone oxytocin?
Best Answer –
The hormone oxytocin is secreted by the pituitary gland. It has a number of functions, many of which are associated with labor and delivery and nursing mothers. During labor, oxytocin facilitates rapid and efficient delivery, and after birth, the hormone promotes milk production in nursing mothers. This hormone also appears to be linked with trust, bonding, and love, with people secreting higher levels of the hormone when they are involved in activities with people they are close to.

Stimulates the contraction of smooth muscle of the uterus during labor and facilitates ejection of milk from the breast during nursing.

Oxytocin is a mammalian hormone that also acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain.

Smooth muscle contraction and release of milk from mammary glands.

In short
It Helps with After Birth
It HELP make them Mother Up

My mean cow is a great mother but even though the calf is now about 3 to 4 weeks old she spent most of the day yesterday bellowing and ramming her head into the ground!

If her calf gets more than 10 to 20 feet away from her ( it goes to play with the other calves ) she just goes crazy.

Any of you could pick her out from 200 yards as she is a Charolis and constantly has mud all over her head. I wonder if she might have a brain tumor that is just getting bigger with age. I guess they will answer that at the slaughter house this fall at weaning. I have put up with her for 6 years now and that is enough. Only good thing is if someone has a coyote problem they might want to come and get her as if a strange animal ( dog, cat squirll, racoon, human, etc ) gets within about 50 feet she is bellowing and chasing with intent to kill.

George said:
My mean cow is a great mother but even though the calf is now about 3 to 4 weeks old she spent most of the day yesterday bellowing and ramming her head into the ground!

If her calf gets more than 10 to 20 feet away from her ( it goes to play with the other calves ) she just goes crazy.

Any of you could pick her out from 200 yards as she is a Charolis and constantly has mud all over her head. I wonder if she might have a brain tumor that is just getting bigger with age. I guess they will answer that at the slaughter house this fall at weaning. I have put up with her for 6 years now and that is enough. Only good thing is if someone has a coyote problem they might want to come and get her as if a strange animal ( dog, cat squirll, racoon, human, etc ) gets within about 50 feet she is bellowing and chasing with intent to kill.

I wouldn't even put up with her until weaning. One rotten apple spoils the barrel. If you can't walk out amongst your cattle and enjoy them, because of her, she needs to find an eternal home. :roll:

Fast food is much more desirable in the bun than on the hoof. :wink:

Our first A'I halfblood Char over 40 some years ago was just like that-I remember being perched on a fence as a little kid watching my Dad rope it and run like heck to the barn door to get it out of the cold. We ran them for 35 more years so they weren't all bad.

I can walk among them as she knows me. And if you were here I could take you thru as long as I stayed between her and you. Also she is very aware of my dogs and she does what they tell her to do. Just don't let a stray come around. She killed a Border Collie about 3 years ago that came thru and decided to herd them. Drove it into a grease spot in the field!

I'm not sure I would feel safe in the same field as her if my dogs were not with me.

Latest posts