• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow moving

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Oct 2nd we moved the cows to the next pasture, it was a tad dusty.
0001-28.jpg

Mike called me on the radio and said to take a picture of him.
0002-26.jpg

Whoo hoo, the gate is open
0003-26.jpg

Emily (the horse) can see some coming
0004-23.jpg

Mike standing up some fence
0006-26.jpg

Of course they beat it right down to the creek where the fence was down. About 30 were in the meadow, where they weren't supposed to be, by the time we got there. Jill is keeping them out while we wait for Mike to come back with fencing supplies
0011-27.jpg

Then on the 12th we moved them to the BLM permit. This was the pasture they were in.
0012-23.jpg

Some up high
0013-23.jpg

Mike rode the high spots, Bruce and I each had a packhorse with salt/mineral on.
0014-23.jpg

0015-18.jpg

Heading out
0016-17.jpg

Mike and his stragglers
0017-17.jpg

0018-18.jpg

Starting down the draw, it is about 1 1/2 miles on a decent road, but they didn't want to go.
0019-17.jpg

These had got to the bottom and decided to go up the hill instead of on the road.
0021-15.jpg

Slow going
0022-12.jpg

Bruce was ahead of us to head them up where the road forked. By the time we got to where this picture was taken our dogs and horses were tired. Could've used more dogs that day. Don't know why they didn't want to go, or more importantly stay on the road.
0023-9.jpg

0024-11.jpg

Now we are through the gate onto the BLM, waiting their turn to go on the trail
0025-9.jpg

Most of the black cows are thinner than we hoped, but are raising good calves.
0026-7.jpg

Going along
0027-8.jpg

Couldn't do it without our faithful helpers
0031-7.jpg

0028-5.jpg

Did I say it was rocky?
0030-6.jpg

0032-5.jpg

Mike took the two packhorses and a little bunch of cows in the lead. Got them to the river then put out the salt.
0029-7.jpg

Can not believe there is still some green in the grass!
0033-3.jpg

Even though it is very low, the cows (and horses and me) hate to cross here cause the rocks are so big and slimy. It's really miserable when the water is high.
0034-2.jpg

This spot is some better
0035-3.jpg

Heading back, they are talking about their elk hunting trip to Idaho...they left yesterday at 5:00 am
0036-2.jpg

Lot's of elderberries this year
0037-4.jpg

Looks like you are very busy doing work that is fun, Nicky. You and your camera take some wonderful photographs, that allow us onlookers to almost feel like we are along on the ride. Thanks for posting.

Glad to know we aren't the only ones that fix fence "as needed". :p

Cattle and country look good Nicky.

I see you use panniers for packing salt. A place we worked for when we were first married had some frames made fron angle iron. The bottom was made for the big end of 2 blocks, top fit the small end. The back was the same height as a block and there were 2 leather straps and buckles to cinch them down. They folded flat when empty.

Love the photos Nicky, especially the one that shows how steep that country is, it looks like it was taken from a plane.

gcreekrch said:

I see you use panniers for packing salt. A place we worked for when we were first married had some frames made fron angle iron. The bottom was made for the big end of 2 blocks, top fit the small end. The back was the same height as a block and there were 2 leather straps and buckles to cinch them down. They folded flat when empty.

Gcreek...we use the same salt panniers here at home. My husband built them in highschool...ours don't fold down though...but they really hug the salt good. We put 4 on a horse usually. And we make sure we are leading a nice broke horse who knows how to go thru the trees (and stay away from our knees)! That angle iron can hurt :) Probably one of my favorite things to do; go salt our forest allotment!

Wyoming Wind said:
gcreekrch said:

Gcreek...we use the same salt panniers here at home. My husband built them in highschool...ours don't fold down though...but they really hug the salt good. We put 4 on a horse usually. And we make sure we are leading a nice broke horse who knows how to go thru the trees (and stay away from our knees)! That angle iron can hurt :) Probably one of my favorite things to do; go salt our forest allotment!

Before our present 4-wheeler era we packed salt on horses. Best thing going for teaching colts to stay away from trees after you start riding them. :wink: :D

We did repair the odd set of panniers. :lol:

Thanks all, I forgot to mention that we got an inch of rain (in a couple different storms) between the two moves. Sure made the second one alot nicer, no dust, perfect footing and really softened up the grass. Even some greenup starting in spots!

Wyoming Wind, could you send me a picture of your salt panniers? They sound like a great idea...as long as they stay away from your knees!

Nicky said:
Thanks all, I forgot to mention that we got an inch of rain (in a couple different storms) between the two moves. Sure made the second one alot nicer, no dust, perfect footing and really softened up the grass. Even some greenup starting in spots!

Wyoming Wind, could you send me a picture of your salt panniers? They sound like a great idea...as long as they stay away from your knees!
If I can find one! We won't get them back down from the rafters till next spring now :) I'll take a look around and see if I can find one.

I wonder about the condition of the black cows is just them having to get used to a different environment? I bought some Hereford cows a couple years ago and finally this year the ones that are still here seem to fit in with the herd better.

Good for you, getting some rain.

I agree with BMR. It takes cows awhile to get acclimated,
even if they are from the same area. I saw the one thinner
black cow, but the ones in the other pictures appeared to
me to be in average condition. Glad their calves are good.

as usual nice pictures. I understand now why you guys keep calling it the rock pile. You should give Mike the camera so you can get your photo taken.

have a cold one

lazy ace

Well they came from right across the fence, so I wouldn't think they'd have to get acclimated. But, he does wean in aug which would make a huge difference. There are quite afew who look good and quite a few like the one I took the picture of. As long as they keep breeding back all will be well. It's obvious he changed sire groups, the 5 an 6 models are alot thicker and deeper (what we were looking for) while the 7 models are slighter and rangier. It was a 7 model in the picture.

Lazy Ace...I try to keep control of the camera at all times :p

Nicky said:
Well they came from right across the fence, so I wouldn't think they'd have to get acclimated. But, he does wean in aug which would make a huge difference. There are quite afew who look good and quite a few like the one I took the picture of. As long as they keep breeding back all will be well. It's obvious he changed sire groups, the 5 an 6 models are alot thicker and deeper (what we were looking for) while the 7 models are slighter and rangier. It was a 7 model in the picture.

Well, that shot my theory!!!! :nod: :D
I hope they do well for you!

Nicky said:

Well, that shot my theory!!!! :nod: :D
When do you wean? As long as they were on the gain
during breeding season, they should breed back fine.
Those harder doing cows just take more feed to get
them back in body condition of 5 or 6. And being
4 year olds, that can go against them if they raised
a good calf. Be interesting how they are next year.
But I hear you on changing sires. That can make a
huge difference.
I do hope they do well for you!

How are the calves in your area weighing up?
The calves here are coming in a little lighter than last
year for the most part. Still good, and the price is
really good!!! I'm happy for everyone that is in the
cattle business. Finally, 'next year country' is here!!! :D

We wean in Oct or Nov...depends when they are contracted for. This year they go the first week of nov. I much prefer to sell them in Oct but the buyers seem to like til Nov so that's what we did this year. The guy we bought the black cows from is the only one who weans early that I know of so haven't heard what calves are weighing here. I hope alot :wink:

I'm sure the cows will have bred back this year, it's years to come that I wonder about. We feed for the main group of cows, not the thin ones. And we don't like having thin ones around. Got another .35" of rain yesterday, can't believe how the cheat grass is greening up!! Hopefully they will all pick up once the calves are off them.

Thanks for sharing these pictures, they are absolutely beautiful and it's nice to know some folks are still living the cowboy way. We enjoy our cattle here, and admire the country and ranching ways out your way. It sure is a different way of moving cattle than around here. Our cattle have short distances to go, and generally follow us, especially if we have a bucket in hand. Can't get over how rocky the crossings look. Must take surefooted mounts to cross safely.

Great set of pictures! Thanks for sharing! Gosh, I'm movin north or west or something????..... :D

Latest posts