• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow Trade

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Just sold some good hard grassfats at a sale-cows in general traded frm .08-.32 U.S.-I'd say they probably averaged .28. The least hint of a hip or a lump they were passed through. The top selling cows were the bigger exotic cows. It's not great yet by any means but getting better. Lots of wet cows being sold-looks like everybody trying to beat their neighbor to town.

We took a bull and cow to town 2 weeks or so ago. the bull was 1800 lbs for $.40 and the cow was 1100 and went for $.32. We were pretty :D happy with that. But basically what I have heard, is that there is no point in taking anything extremely :eek: lame, lumpy or thin. You will just have to go pick them up and pay the auction mart for handling!!

Randi

The nice thing about living in a small town:
When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

My Website
www.geocities.com/randiliana2000
My Favorite Canadian Gardening group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CdnRRandSeedexch/
My Favorite Canadian Ranching Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canadianfoodanimals

I'm glad to see things are looking up - - - I don't see how many of you have hung on. We went thru really hard times when the swine market took its big dive. Many of the farmers cut their losses by killing all new born pigs as that was cheaper than feeding them out. Thant market has gotten better- - - I wish you nothing but the best

George some people couldn't hang on,and the rest of us are just to stubborn to quit.Or as the Mrs say's,just plain pig-headed!

Some people had to hang on because they don't know how to do anything else. If bred cows around here would reach $1200-$1300, I'd sell in a minute. Would just have to convince the other half, though! But then..... I wouldn't have anything to chat about with my ranchers.net friends..... :?

Shelly said:
If bred cows around here would reach $1200-$1300, I'd sell in a minute. Would just have to convince the other half, though!

That's what my DH says too, especially when we are having a hard time with the machinery or cattle. But, I just can't imagine doing anything else!! Besides I luv my girls!!

Randi
The nice thing about living in a small town:
When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does.

My Website
www.geocities.com/randiliana2000
My Favorite Canadian Gardening group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CdnRRandSeedexch/
My Favorite Canadian Ranching Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canadianfoodanimals

I sold my herd in 1994 :( after I flipped a Goldwing end for end - - - somthing I do not recommend :shock: . I was never to walk again :( - - - shows that the Lord had more for me to do. :D :D

It took awhile but I was able to make a great recovery :D . I went thru the process of making a living / leased my gravel pit out / opened phone stores ( desk work that I could handle) renting out the farm :? . I was making a good living however something was missing :? :? .

I got back into cattle and my blood pressure went down :) and my whole outlook seemed better :D . My daughter states she does not want to live with me without cattle :???: . She ask me why I go thru the cattle twice a day or more :???: - - I told her it keeps me young and good looking :) - - - her reply was I needed to walk thru them more!!!! :D :D :D

Some people might get along without cattle :???: but think about it long and hard first!! I have seen several of the farmers in this area that have bulldosed the fences , gotten rid of the cattle and plant right to the roads edge. These are people who were used to helping each other work the cattle several times a year and now with all the new equipment have substantially less interaction with the neighbors. Much less interaction and more conflict!! :eek: :eek:

There is much more to having a few cows than just the check when you sell some! :D :D :D

Latest posts