• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow water

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jakes

Reaction score
We've got some pastures that we can only use late fall and winter because they don't have enough water to handle pairs or cattle when they're drinking a lot of water mid summer. I'm wondering what everybody likes doing to get more water. If running lots of pipeline is the way to go or drill a well or two in each pasture with a big tank and lots of storage in one spot. I've been thinking about getting some storage tanks so they can fill overnight and make sure they can all water when everything hits the tank at once but for the price of some of these deals and cost of pipe we might be money ahead just drilling a new well.

You'd have to put a pencil to it in order to know.
We had solar wells and they worked well.
We had pipelines that ran off the well at the house and they
worked well too. Our house well was 680' deep and was
almost artesian--water came to within 20' of the top.
We never ran out of water from that well.

Water is the most important nutrient. Without it nothing else works like it should.
Good luck!!

You'd have to put a pencil to it in order to know.
We had solar wells and they worked well.
We had pipelines that ran off the well at the house and they
worked well too. Our house well was 680' deep and was
almost artesian--water came to within 20' of the top.
We never ran out of water from that well.

Water is the most important nutrient. Without it nothing else works like it should.
Good luck!!
Wow thats deep! In my area you have to case off the crappy ground water for first hundred feet or so and you have to go 300 to 400 feet to either hit good usable water or have a dry $70,000 hole. Very risky because easy more likely to be dry. More and more hauling water from community wells. Hauling long distance to.

My neighbor used these guys before he drilled. He was happy, but I don't know the cost.

My neighbor used these guys before he drilled. He was happy, but I don't know the cost.
To bad they can't tell if its good water or not

I've drilled 5 wells in the last 2 months.1 really good,2 pretty good and 2 dry holes.Found water from 18 feet to 43 feet.If you go much deeper than 70 ft in some places it will be salty from oil well pollution from decades ago.We drill past water for about 20 feet to have a sump for smalls to fall when you first start pumping the well and it allows for a little more volume on a marginal well.The cost to drill a 60 foot well, and filter pack in some 5 inch PVC pipe is $3200 in this part of the world.Then the cost of tubing and a pump on top of that.A dry hole is $22 a foot.That's the cost of just witching and seeing what a well might make.I've seen lots a wells cased that will only make a gallon or 2 a minute an put on solar pumps.You got to have a tank in place so the pump can run all day long,but if you think about it,a well that makes a gallon per minute. over 8 hours sun light will make 480 gallons a day.More sunlight and you might get 800 gallons a day.

Latest posts