• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow with swollen jaw

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jungleranch

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old cow that has the right side of her face swollen. She was seen eating prickly pear cactus, could this be the reason? It was noticed not long after that. I gave her tetracycline powder in her feed, but didn't help. Haven't tried a shot of antibiotics. She's been like this awhile now, someone said lumpy jaw and very hard to cure. I doubt she's bred, should I cut my losses and sell her? Thanks for any help.

I'm a long time lurker on this site, but I saw this post and thought I would help you out. I would bet she got bit by a rattler and if you look close at the center or high spot of swelling for a pair of punctures you can find out. It usually isn't deadly even to calves but does create a lot of swelling. Time will heal and swelling wil eventually go away. She shouldn't have any lasting effects. Usually happens to side of face when reaching in for a bite.
Cows can consume tremendous amounts of prickly pear without any problems except wooden tongue. I've watched my cows chow down on cholla as well as prickly pear and it is something to see. The first time I saw them eat cholla I couldn't believe it. Must taste good though, as it is a lot of work.
Hope this helps.

A cactus spine could be the trouble. Is the lump soft or hard? If its soft, lance and drain it. To lance it, I just stick my pocket knife in and cut a hole about the size of a quarter. You will get a mayonase looking puss out of it. Wash the drained cavity with iodine. A snake bite will usually swell a larger area (ie the whole side of the head, not just a lump- soft ball or larger), and is often right on the end of the nose, and not drainable. If the lump is hard, and attatched to the bone (won't roll around), it is harder to treat. Don't be too quick to sell her until you know how treatable it is.

I have a 2nd calf heifer that has a swollen face and jaw. We thought maybe she got poked by something or has a sore tooth. She's been getting antibiotics but it doesn't seem to be helping. We are on day 4 of the swelling. Any suggestions?

Ask your vet. I've had cows with a lump jaw that they got from getting poked with a stick that they ate and it got infected from inside. The vet took a knife and drained the puss and washed it out and then gave an antibiotic shot. The cows did ok after that but you could always see where the damage was. A lump jaw cow won't bring much at the sale.

when cattle are 2.5 years old or so . they loose teeth , at this time they can get infected with tb of the bone or lump jaw . we have stopped this infection a couple of time with an iodine iv . you would have to ask a vet just exactly is in it . To cure them it must be done soon after the lump shows up , its worked for me . Remember free advice is worth what you paid for it .

She doesn't have just a lump. It is her entire head and now going down her neck. The vet checked her over and doesn't know what it is. We were told by a friend that she could possibly been bit by a snake. What do we do for that?

vvffarmgirl said:
She doesn't have just a lump. It is her entire head and now going down her neck. The vet checked her over and doesn't know what it is. We were told by a friend that she could possibly been bit by a snake. What do we do for that?

What kind of poisonous snakes do you have in Wisconsin?

Latest posts