• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cowboy Turtle Association

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hay Feeder

Reaction score
I am wanting to find out information about the orginal pro cowboy (TURTLE) association and still living members. Also would like to know more about Casey Tibbs in his later years.

Hay Feeder said:
I am wanting to find out information about the orginal pro cowboy (TURTLE) association and still living members. Also would like to know more about Casey Tibbs in his later years.

If you search Casey Tibbs on this ranchers site you might find some info as we used to have a relation of his post here.

Texas Tibbs where are you? :D

I can help you minimally on Casey....when you go deep into his early years I'm a bit foggy, as I'm only 29 and I was only 10 when he died in 1990. And my grandpa has since passed, my dad is the only source I'd have to any information on him. The Casey Tibbs I knew was a feable old guy laying on a reclining cot in severe pain due to the horrible demise of bone cancer. My last memory of him was walking up at our family reunion in November of 1989 and shaking his hand....he died two months later in january of 1990. Casey lived out his last years in Ramona California, so he didn't really spend much time near his relation in South Dakota. So specifics on who he related with or what not it's hard to say. But as far as the Turtle Association, as far as i'm aware, wasn't it the early start of the NFR? If you do your research I believe it will relate back to this and Casey was infamous in helping the NFR become known. He won a few titles in the Turtle Association that if now recognized in the NFR he would have more titles than he currently holds....I dont' get on here much anymore, so if I can provide more...privite me for it sends me an email and lets me know....

Alvin Nelson from the Grassy Butte area in ND was a "turtle". I met him 5 years or so back and he was in good health at that time, so I imagine he is still out there. He is a good man.
there is something about the turtles in the Williams AZ area also. Was a tribute to them at the Williams Cowboy gathering last year. Maybe google it?

Hay Feeder said:

Yep the Turtle Association founded in 1936 at Madison Square Garden was the forerunner of the RCA (which is now the PRCA)...
Several articles if you google it...

HOW THE COWBOY TURTLE ASSOCIATION BEGAN

Most of the top-flight rodeo cowboys in 1936 were very concerned over the meager dollar amounts that were being paid for winning rodeo events. Sometimes it wasn't even enough money to make it to the next rodeo. During that time, rodeo producers determined the purses that were paid to winning contestants and often the entry fees were not even added to the purse. It was a tough time for cowboys, cost for food, lodging, travel were all getting higher, but prize money remained low and cowboy complaints to those in charge of making changes seemed to go unanswered.

1936 wasn't the first time that cowboys had talked about getting organized and demanding higher purses. Fay Ward in 1916 tried to convince rodeo cowboys to organize so they could provide for the injured and retired contestants, plus other benefits, but it never happened. Again, in 1932, a group of cowboys came together, headed by M. D. Fanning, and were determined to raise the standards of the sport as well as provide funds to take care of those injured during competition. Ninety-five members committed to this project and the hat was passed and a total of $300 was collected. Abe Lefton, a well-known announcer, was chairman of the group, and he directed that eight committees were formed to represent each branch of rodeo. Eventually, however, all the good intentions went by the wayside. Cowboys are notorious for being independent and directly opposed to becoming part of any organized group. At this time in our nation many occupations were forming unions or organizations to improve the workers bargaining positions within their professions. It was just a matter of time for cowboys. Something had to be done if rodeo was to survive.

Colonel W. T. Johnson, of San Antonio, Texas, was a banker and rancher, who decided in 1929 to produce rodeos. He got his start by producing a successful rodeo in San Antonio. He had excellent marketing and promotional talents and in no time was awarded many top rodeos across the country, including Madison Square Garden in New York, Boston Garden, and other major rodeos in cities throughout the country. He had a knack for getting people not familiar with rodeo to attend and encourage others to do so. Despite the fact that the Colonel had become the top rodeo producer by 1936, he still turned a deaf ear when it came to listening to the cowboy's complaints about prize monies.

Behind the scenes of the Madison Square Garden rodeo, which lasted almost a month, the cowboys made their plans to strike. Meanwhile Hugh Bennett, a top-flight cowboy, had worked for Johnson and seemed to have his ear on some matters - - but not on raising the prize money.

Many of the contestants who had come to Madison Square Garden, in New York, had ridden the Rodeo Train, which was provided by the Colonel from San Antonio to New York. A cowboy was charged $50, and if he had a horse it cost $100, to ride from Texas. The cowboys had a concern that if they opposed the Colonel they may become stranded in the East and not be able to ride home on the train. Richard Merchant, took the responsibility of finding alternative ways for cowboys to return home provided the Colonel pulled the train ride, after their impending strike.

While secret plans were being made by the cowboys, Bennett and others attempted to convince Colonel Johnson to increase the purses, but to no avail. The final blow (after $30,000 in prize money at the Madison Square Garden rodeo) was when they arrived in Boston and it was announced the total prize money was ONLY $7,000. It was well known that Johnson received $80,000 to produce the Boston rodeo, plus the contesting cowboys entry fees. The Boston Garden management provided the prize money.

The day of the first performance sixty-one exhausted, and frustrated cowboys signed a petition that was presented to Colonel Johnson requesting that entry fees be added to the purse. He continued to ignore their requests and insisted those cowboys, refusing to compete, should remove their horses from the Boston Garden. As the cowboys rode out of the building, on their horses, the press photographers were waiting. It was called "a walkout', as well as 'a strike'. The cowboys had support from other union leaders in the area. Johnson insisted he would have a first rate rodeo that night 'without them'. Using grooms, stable boys, wild west actors and roustabouts, and with the striking cowboys sitting in the audience booing, it was a very uncomfortable evening for the Boston Garden management, and they finally called a halt to the performance, gave the spectators their money back, and told Colonel Johnson to 'get right with the cowboys' or he would be removed from the premises as well.

Negotiations went on well in to the next day until Colonel Johnson finally agreed to the newly formed Cowboys Turtle Association requests that entry fees be added to the purse money. And the rodeo continued with 'new and improved' rules.

The Cowboys Turtle Association had growing pains as all newly formed organizations experience, but with the determination of the rodeo cowboys of that era it finally became a reality. According to Cowboys Turtle Association's 1937 minutes, which included the association by-laws, written in March, 1937, the first board of directors included; President, Rusty McGinty; Vice President, Eddie Woods; Secretary-Treasurer, Hugh Bennett; and Speaker, Everett Bowman.

A document signed March 8, 1945, by George Mills, Gerald Roberts and Dick Griffith, which served as a notice of a meeting of the 'Turtles' Board of Directors to be held in Fort Worth, on March 16, 1945, to transact business, including changing the name of the Association from Cowboys Turtle Association to the Rodeo Cowboys Association. In 1975 the name was again changed to the present-day ProRodeo Cowboys Association.

At the 2002 Cowboy Reunion, held at the Excalibur Hotel, in Las Vegas, during the December, National Finals Rodeo, ten members of the Cowboys Turtle Association attended. Please keep in mind this name ONLY existed for a brief nine-years (October, 1936 to March, 1945).

Those attending Cowboys Turtle Association members are: Cecil Jones, Phil Stadtler, Bill Bachman, Jim Shoulders, Buff Douthitt, Buster Ivory, Corky Randall, Chuck Shepard, Bart Clennon and Holloway Grace. Bart Clennon, age 92, of Tucson, Arizona, was the only attending member who signed the original petition presented to Colonel Johnson. The only other living Cowboys Turtle Association member, whose name appears on the petition is Buttons Yonnick, of Texas. Hats off to these early-day cowboys who set the standards and demanded better conditions for those who compete today!

http://www.rodeoattitude.com/dir_hd/gail/past_7.htm

I don't have any info on Casey,,other than my grandfather rodeo'd with him in the early years and my g-pa always told the story of loaning him $100 and he never paid him back...g-pa always liked Casey although he did get a little wild once inawhile..lol

This fellow I started this post tells simular storys about Casey gettiing him trouble. He keeps saying it was a wild ride. Neighbors say this fellow has one of Caseys buckels. Dought that is ture but makes those old stories even better.

Dam V_Key was log-in

If ask _ Are You A Turtle?
You HAD to answer:
You Bet Your Sweat Ass I Am!
You had to answer NO MATTER where you wore OR Buy All The Turtles There A Drink.

My Old Roommate "Sleepy Avant" joined just before Korean War
Sleepy's leg was blown of just below the knee _ he was a Medic and had to take care of his own wound. That did not keep him from Riding Bulls _ we got the VA to make him a leg with the toe turned out _ it had an Athletic knee supporter with a little hook on each side _ we made up a Harness (Suspenders) that could Draw the Leg Up Tight when he'd pop his chest.

Sleepy is an Auctioneer now and lives in Aromas, Ca. I see him almost every week-end _ He is Proud of the Turtle Pen he wares on his Belt

I'll try to get a picture of It.

I only meet Casey a few times _ he was fairly out going at Rodeos But I went along as a wrangler on the Santa Barbara Ride. $500 each + my wages all paid by the guy I was Wrangling for. Every VIP had a Wrangler, there were two of us caring for 4 horses

Casey was all business there and hung with all the Big Wheels and Movie People. Noel Berry, Slim Pickens, Ben Johnson, and others (Man I'm Blank on Names) anyhow all the real cowboys hung out at our own fire about 100' off to one side _ where the stories went on 1/2 the night

Whoo S*)% V_Key log in

If ask _ Are You A Turtle?
You HAD to answer:
You Bet Your Sweat Ass I Am!
You had to answer NO MATTER where you wore OR Buy All The Turtles There A Drink.

My Old Roommate "Sleepy Avant" joined just before Korean War
Sleepy's leg was blown of just below the knee _ he was a Medic and had to take care of his own wound. That did not keep him from Riding Bulls _ we got the VA to make him a leg with the toe turned out _ it had an Athletic knee supporter with a little hook on each side _ we made up a Harness (Suspenders) that could Draw the Leg Up Tight when he'd pop his chest.

Sleepy is an Auctioneer now and lives in Aromas, Ca. I see him almost every week-end _ He is Proud of the Turtle Pen he wares on his Belt

I'll try to get a picture of It.

I only meet Casey a few times _ he was fairly out going at Rodeos But I went along as a wrangler on the Santa Barbara Ride. $500 each + my wages all paid by the guy I was Wrangling for. Every VIP had a Wrangler, there were two of us caring for 4 horses

Casey was all business there and hung with all the Big Wheels and Movie People. Noel Berry, Slim Pickens, Ben Johnson, and others (Man I'm Blank on Names) anyhow all the real cowboys hung out at our own fire about 100' off to one side _ where the stories went on 1/2 the night

Those days were wild _ Lots of booze and women _ Seemed Like the crazier we were be better the public likes us and egged us on.

If we were broke and could get to Vegas _ were Loud and acted Drunk the Clubs were good for a few 100 $$$'s _ enough to get to the next rodeo and make entries.

Another of my roommate (The Late Paul Tempelton)(saddle Bronc's) was one of the First Flying Cowboys who flew many of us from show to show until the FAA had enough of his stunts when he flew up-side-down over an airport.

the man that claims he is a tutle and taked care of casey in the last years of casey life. this felloow does own some of caseys buckels
we have seen them no joke we are seroius. he claims only 200 turles are still livin

True or flase Casey and the flying cowboys crashed at limon colrado and stil made it to the stock show

I was wondering if anyone has information on the life of Eddie Woods? I have an old Camel advertisement with him as the "poster boy" in 1933.

NATIONAL COWBOY MUSEUM ANNOUNCES RODEO HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/info/PrinterFriendlyView.aspx?ID=211

Marty Wood, Pendleton, Oregon, is known for his colorful style, incredible balance and ability to anticipate a horse's next move – skills developed riding the jumping horses trained by his father. During his career, Wood won three world champion saddle bronc titles in 1958, 1964 and 1966, qualified for the NFR 14 times, was named RCA saddle bronc runner-up four times and won the Canadian saddle bronc championship three times.

Wood is the son of a horse trainer and former bronc rider and his first love was baseball. However, an early shoulder injury put a career in baseball out of reach. At age 20, he turned professional and hit the rodeo trail, competing in saddle bronc riding and winning at every major rodeo in the United States and Canada. Wood was a 1991 ProRodeo Hall of Fame inductee and has been inducted into the Calgary Stampede Hall of Fame, Ellensburg Rodeo Hall of Fame and the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame.

Hay Feeder, there is a Casey Tibbs memorial group/museum, or something at Ft. Pierre, SD. Also should be quite a few families in that area, on out at least to the Eagle Butte area, who have someone who remembers Casey and knows more about him than is posted here.

There is a good tourist facility/museum called "1880 Town" at exit 170 on I-90 in the middle of western SD where there is a lot of Casey Tibbs memorabilia. It was collected by the elderly owner, a fan of Casey.

There also is a video of the old movie, "Born To Buck" Casey made years ago, about buckinghorses, still available in the area. Not great qualiy video, but enjoyable, anyway.

I'm betting there must be more of TxTibbs' relatives who were older than he who recall more about Casey, still living in the Ft. Pierre area, and if you are seriously interested they would be in the phone book for that area. Good people, too!

mrj

looking for photos and information on Cadillac Jack Favor, one of the founding members of Cowboys Turtle Association.

Need photos and history, am trying to get him inducted and need all I can get.

Thanks

My Friend - Walt Heacock
Scan0002_0002.jpg

His wife "Boots" was a trick Rider

Latest posts