• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cowboy Weather

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Today was one of those days when everyone who wants to be a cowboy wonders if they have a brain in their head...Helped a neighbor gather pairs and sort off and inspect 175 steer calves to load and ship--No big deal except that at daybreak the temp was 40 degrees with 45 mph northwest wind-- and as the day went on the temp went down and the wind kept blowing....

At least it didn't rain or snow- altho when we were working in the dusty corrals, we could have used it--Everyone looked like Al Jolson in blackface by 2PM......Weather boys are predicting rain and snow tonite.... Starting to feel like shipping weather......

OT, First thing this morning the weather was beautiful here. About 55 degrees, no wind and sunny. By about 11:00 AM it turned into what you described and of course I was miles from the yard,by then, and not dressed for it. :( You'd think a guy would learn after a while!!! Especially after I told I the boys to "take a jacket" when they left for school at 7:30!! :D

I've told it before on here, but for the benefit of the newcomers, I'll tell it again. At a branding ten or twelve years ago, it was a windy dirty day like you just mentioned. Dust in the branding corral was terrible, and when the job was done and dinnertime rolled around, everyones' faces were just black with dirt. One old rancher pulled off his hat to wash his face. Where the hat had "protected" his head, the bald dome was shiny and clean. A wag on the scene commented, "Now I know where they got the term 'black baldy'." :? :wink: :)

the hubby and kids are sorting and preg checking cows today and shipping out the babes!!! Supposed to snow, but so far it is just cold and snowy in the mountains....just gonna have to wait and see what mother nature brings to us!!!
As for me, I am off to "bozangeles" (bozeman, for my neighbors) to find some food for my hungry cupboards!! :wink: :wink:

Started raining here after midnite- turned to snow about 5AM...Have a couple inches of wet white stuff on the ground now--Predicting only about 3 inches--- I hope there is not more than that as there are a couple guys planning to ship out of the breaks tommorrow and Sat, that won't be able to if it gets too muddy or slick.......But this should settle the dust...

It snowed here Tuesday night, I think it's here to stay. :cry: I HATE SNOW!!! We started to clean corrals Tuesday, and everything was going good. I didn't get stuck, I didn't run into anything, and I managed to get the manure spreader backed in on my own every time. Now it's so slick in the pens, could be a whole different story for me when I get back into the tractor. I've been relieved of duties while they're at the best friend's, but we still have more to do so I will be recruited again when they get back here.

The ground is white and it's still snowing. We need the moisture but we sure don't need winter quite yet. Might be glad I bought and hauled another 500 bales home in the last 2 weeks. I wanted insurance.

Two things I have never been very good at is to eat enough breakfast to get me to dinner time and to dress right for the weather :wink: :wink:

where you been buddy? The coldest I have ever been I think is in september cause I did not have the right coat. Next to that is in October and I was not cold as one of the guys with me, go back to the poem I called Bobbie, we used to ford the Salmon river all of the time, you just had to know what you were doing, this fine man we were with thought he knew more than we did and he took off across the river and in no matter of seconds all you could see was his hat floating down stream. It was 7:00 in the morning and 15 degrees. I was compassionate enough to offer hot coffee from the thermos in my saddle bags, he had none, and he was to arrogant to accept anything, he froze his jewels off,memories

Here in central KS it has been windy and too warm the past 2 days. Suppose to be in the 60s today compared to near 80 the last 2 days. The wheat looks good thru here as we had a couple inches of rain 2 wks ago. We are situating cattle and putting fence around corn stalks and some wheat for replacement heifers. The days are so short now that cannot get done what we need to-oh well there is always tomorrow!

Here in the TX Hill country,weather is nice but dry,lows in the mid fourties with highs in the mid eighties,building a new fence the last few days and have noticed quite a few geese winging their way south,that tells me ole man winter is fixin to raise hell...............good luck

Latest posts