• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cowcaught on a ranch in south fla

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowhunter

Reaction score
I was fresh out of highschool. I had A job on a big ranch close to vero beach out side of a little cowtown called fellsmere. Gulf and western citris and cattle 4 cowcrews. 4 cowboys per. Remote pens no electric. Hydrolic squezes. They had full time fence crews. We only did a little patchin. Bring your saddle and riggin. I did. Man, this is goin to be nice. We worked 300 to 400 mama cows a day and there calfs and a gang of bulls. I'm talkin about gather at daylite and goin till it was done. You had to have a employee card to get in the gate. I still got mine. One day we had a bunch in the pens and they were the wildest bunch of angus cattle I ever seen. Found out they had been worked with helicopters and motorcycles before our outfit got them. One cow inpertickulare, thought she had died and come back as a deer. A mad deer to. Tryin to jump out and ketch every thing. We done and had to move the horses. Any way it was lunch and we was takin us a little see esta. That crazy thing got everything tore off the medicine table and we was scurry around tryin to save buckets of drench and drench guns and viles of blackleg vac and serenges and such. I had just opened a can of sardens and when I got back to them and got the flys off, I was wolfin them down because it was time to go back at it. We had a few more cows to work and was savein the deer for last. We was goin to load her up and put her in a nother crews pasture. Just like they did us when they found a canadate. I was walkin to the truck when the deer seen me. And my sardeen can and last sardeen and pockit knife open. She took to me like a crazy brimer bull. I flung the gate open just a little and got threw. It would shut back behind u. I just about had that sardeen in my mouth. The last one then I was goin to poor out the oil and gravy for a little jyp cowdog that had took up with me. I almost had it ate but I slamed the gate a little hard and aint knowed it but it bounced open and the next thing I knew was I heard a look out! as the deer caught me in the back. I was crawlin to get under the truck when my buddy shock his hat in her face and she took to him. Glad she was poled I thought as my mouth filled up with blood. Yea, that knife had sliced open my tounge bad enought to get it stitched. I was huntin that knife though and spittin blood while huntin. It was a yellow handled case sharp enough to cut threw the tuffest cod sack and had.the dog had found her oil and gravy and my sardeen and my knife Well, my boss put some mecurrycomb on my tounge. His choice of medicine. We headed to vero to the er. They shot me with novacane and a few stitches. We head back to finish and he said they told him I was threw for to the day. I said bull **** but he said let's get some beer and ride around and gater hunt. He then called on the radio for another crew to help finish the calfs. That cold bud was sure good on that tounge. I could not talk plain for the numin. We finely got back when they was done to unsaddle our horses and let them gather around and raze me some. My boss said; I'll let him tell it. Me not talkin so good. I had to stick it out for them and we all had a good laugh. That beer was workin and it friday, we was ready to go to town. I was cortin this perty little galthat had a rich daddy. She always had me a new shirt or some ranglers on friday and I was sure she was goin to sooth me when she seen that tounge. That numin juice was wore off and it was throbin. I got all cleaned up and found her and her friends right where she said she'd be.at a fancy sandwitch shop on the beach.she seen me and jumped to hug her 6 ft, rawboned, dark as a indian and sure perty, cowboy. not tryin to be ugly but that tounge wernt all that was throbin. Guess what I got u as she pulled a new belt out of a bag that had my name stamped on it. I showed her that tounge and she tiered up and acted like if she had a pistol, she'd a kilt her self. She said I might as well leave, I was absulutely worthless to her now! Oh well! As I threw my new belt over my shoulder and headed for the honkey tonk the hootin awl

now I know why you use such bad langwge. Old sue indian say White man speek wiyh forked tuge :) :???:

Here ya go Cowhunters ID. :D
IMG00094.jpg

IMG00100.jpg

Sorry about the spellin. I never won no spellin bees. But I use to spell better. Siber knife got some of it a while back and I have all ideays whole brain will get some more. A lot of it is selfinflicted and rebellious towards proper english. I'll never put a g on ing. It's in like its said. This is my book. Lol! I've already got a few good revews. I promise not to sugur cote nothin. I"ll try and tell them like they went down, when I was at that age and as I saw it at that age. Not as a what I am now, a christan. But I know god has a sence of humor. By the grace of god, I am what I am. He who is with out sin, cast the first stone. I'd hope to end with my testomony. But if I get to stupid, somebody please pm me and let me know. I'm so wired on theses steroibs, I just took a zanix to see if I can hold on to my skin. I'm scard to check my cattle today for fear of gettin on somebodys ass real bad for nothin. Yall please bear with me. Everybody's got a story. U have to have a good box to keep them in and the won't to share them. My box is gettin worn but the won't to share is strong. Lots of me and my buddy's storys have still gone strong as kinda country storys that have been aded to and took away from. But I will tell the best as it went down as long as yall like them.

Ah, cowhunter, we aren't worried about your spelling.

But if you could break the stories up a bit, it would be easier to read.

Like skip a line here and there, kinda like I just did. Can you see
that it would make it easier on the reader?

FWIW...and keep those stories comin'...I'm sure you write like you
talk and that's the flavor we want... :D

You hang tough cowhunter, I can read um just fine but I'm from Arkansas so maybe I got an edge. Anyway I usually stay over on cattle today because this print is to small over here and most everybody on here is sho-nuff cows while I'm just a dirt farmer with a few cows. Anyway I'm checkin over here more to read your stories.

Oh, cowhunter, as an English teacher I could run a red pen through your story, but I NEVER WOULD! As a teacher of reading, I see so much merit in what you have. Don't change one thing about your writing, because when people who know you read it, you want them to say, "Yep, that's Cowhunter. I can hear him saying it just that way!" There are reasons for writing correctly, and there are reasons for writing it as it is. Keep the colloquialisms and dialect because that is what makes it so inviting. It's just danged good life-telling---something many authors would love to be able to do! Keep them coming, life is different all over and your life stories will be enjoyed here and by your family. It's a great legacy that you are doing, something we all could take a lesson from for our own family life stories! Again, keep them coming.

I think old cush work for peacock down at fort pearce as well as adams ranch? He was a caritor as I remember. I was just a wild youngin in them days. And day worked all around. But I think i knew him. He froged out of a little hand cranked airboat with a 65 contintal. If it the same cush. He lived off red man? Thank to the other poster braggin on my spellin. And a english teacher to! Made my day!

Here's another Teacher, telling how I see it, that was very good.
Spelling, layout and grammar would have been a down fall but hey, it was from the heart and they are the best stories. It is not an English Test so why criticize. You go right ahead and tell some more of those edge of the seat side splitting stories.
They would make a good book 'The Cowboys Tales' told as it is by 'Cowhunter' there a title for you as well. :wink: :lol:

Thank u kristy. I'm goin to work on my spellin anyways. Like mrs faster horses said, I need to space it out some. Maybe get my point across with out yall havein to figer to hard. On the title, well,its just rambleins. I got a little croud of readers. If I aint had them incuragein me. I could never write it down. I hope this radiation comein, only slows me down. It will be the lords will. London? England or georga?

Thank u kristy. I'm goin to work on my spellin anyways. Like mrs faster horses said, I need to space it out some. Maybe get my point across with out yall havein to figer to hard. On the title, well,its just rambleins. I got a little croud of readers. If I aint had them incuragein me. I could never write it down. I hope this radiation comein, only slows me down. It will be the lords will. London? England or georga?

cowhunter said:
London England, a little cockney sparra....
Ah! cowhunter it would be such a shame as to not put pen to paper and have some of these stories published, a small crowd could become a big one. You don't have to do the writing yourself you could have a ghost writer, you dictate them into a dictaphone and your ghost writer writes it up. You had me in stitches reading that story, as I can imagine a few more people as well.
I love a good book and there is nothing better than true stories.
Good luck to you on the radiation treatment, I hear it is no fun.
and once again thank you for a good read, and if that is how you write stick to it don't change, ramblings, misspellings and not much spaces, are what makes it.

Latest posts