• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows and cowboys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ltdumbear said:
Yadda Yadda Yadda...we all get the job done one way or the other, whether it's a Cowboy Outfit, or a Farmer-ized operation from hell...Lord knows I've seen my share of both...

...the biggest challenge facing all of us now is how in hell to convince the East Coast Weenies that Cow-Farts and Belches are NOT among the 'biggest' contributors to Global Warming...

It's all the hot air from useless 'Jabber-jawing' and hyper-active, pumped-and medicated MORONS blitzing up and down the interstates and neighborhood streets at Warp Nine-Point-Frickin'-Nine...with little or no recognition of just how much oil they're pumping through this economy...

Go ahead Lt, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! :D

I can't help it Jinglebob...I've got a helluva workload in front of me, in order to 'earn' a Five-Star rating above my pic/postings...what is that ? something like over 4 - 5 thousand postings you have so far ?

:: reaches behind me and grabs two 12 oz cans of 'Full Throttle' power drinks ::

well hell then- i guess im not cowboy then

I figured I would get a response but I didn't think it would come from Texas!? Didn't mean to offend anyone personally. I guess the "Don't Fence Me In" and wide open spaces to ride off into the sunset clouded my brain. I am sure that spending the day fencing in 109 heat wasn't a factor.

Ltdumbear said:
I can't help it Jinglebob...I've got a helluva workload in front of me, in order to 'earn' a Five-Star rating above my pic/postings...what is that ? something like over 4 - 5 thousand postings you have so far ?

:: reaches behind me and grabs two 12 oz cans of 'Full Throttle' power drinks ::

Hell, I just thought that made me a 5 star general! :eek: :shock:

Give 'em hell Lt. :D

Terry Brown...I bet there are some feedyard horses/riders that could out-cut and out-sort anybody. I much prefer ranching and cow/calf operations over feedyards, but them horses and their riders know their stuff when it comes to working cattle in close quarters.

azcowpuncher said:
Well i am hopin i will be ridin one by the end of next year thats for sure .

Me too! :D

Tho' knowin' your going to be roping big cattle, hard and fast and turning off, has got me a little nervous. :?

:wink:

Ha ha ha i have had some pretty shitty trees and only time i ever had one break belive it or not was when i had a horse jump up and fall over backwards on it .

azcowpuncher said:
Ha ha ha i have had some pretty shitty trees and only time i ever had one break belive it or not was when i had a horse jump up and fall over backwards on it .

I ain't worried about the tree, I'm worried about the riggin'! :shock:

:wink:

I still think you need to come up and ride a cable riggin'. You'd want one then. Can't tear them out, guarenteed for life.

But are you tough enough to put up with the crap from all them other guys who don't have one? :wink: :lol: :lol:

erry Brown...I bet there are some feedyard horses/riders that could out-cut and out-sort anybody. I much prefer ranching and cow/calf operations over feedyards, but them horses and their riders know their stuff when it comes to working cattle in close quarters.

im sure that i can be corrected on most of the things i say 'movin on' no doubt you have met good hands in some of these lots. . . . i guess i just dont have enough experience dealing with those guys but accept my apology.. . .

on another note. .i got one of jingle bobs saddles three years ago (cant remember when it was ordered tho LOLOLOL) but it is a great saddle and it is used with alot of pride. . . . couldnt be happier with it and if you can get your hands on one i would recommend it. . . its one of those saddles that you can give to a kid or nephew when you are done with it and the work. . .

90% of the feed lot guys i have been around were crack heads all spun out and didnt really even know wich direction they were goin . Bein in a feedlot after midnight ha ha ha you would have better chances in new york city after midnight . its to easy for them guys to buy that stuff from them truck drivers and if i was penned up in a stinkin hole like them guys everyday i would need drugs to keep me there too ha ha .

"I guess the "Don't Fence Me In" and wide open spaces to ride off into the sunset clouded my brain. I am sure that spending the day fencing in 109 heat wasn't a factor." . . . well take a swig of water before you come in and maybe yur thinkin will get better. . . . but god bless your wide open spaces. . . . i do miss them. . .my great grandpa was a south dakota homesteader so i come from a long line of south dakota knot heads . . . LOL

azcowpuncher said:
Well i am hopin i will be ridin one by the end of next year thats for sure .

If you order a new wood, what are getting? Stay'n with the same style your ride'n? Or maybe that Nevada trip had an influence on you and you are going to change. :)

azcowpuncher said:
90% of the feed lot guys i have been around were crack heads all spun out and didnt really even know wich direction they were goin . Bein in a feedlot after midnight ha ha ha you would have better chances in new york city after midnight . its to easy for them guys to buy that stuff from them truck drivers and if i was penned up in a stinkin hole like them guys everyday i would need drugs to keep me there too ha ha .

LOL, that is why you saw them, they were not able to handle it and sent packing.....Wish you coulda met the fella's I worked with az.....They have since passed on. They had cut mustard in a lot of places. in addition to the pen riding, we had smaller calves to check on wheat fields around the lot. These guys were reitirement age and looked at the feedlot as a place to put a lot of cattle in front of the horses they were making.....

My point is, I decidied a long time ago the "Buckaroo's" and Nebraskan's that made thier way to an Oregon Feedlot just couldn't keep a job on the outfits they came from, so weren't representative of those that stayed. Your description of "Feedlot" cowboys sounds more like the ones that were only around a few weeks. Certainly not even remotely representative of the full time guys I worked with,

PPRM

PPRM you made a lot of good points about working the feedlots, and the kind of crew that comes and goes. Where I work winters, we have seen quite a few guys who think they are top hands, (and tell everyone they can corner long enough to listen to them), hire on, but soon prove to the rest of us what we suspected right from the get-go. If they were full time cowboys with no ranch of their own, and top hands, they wouldn't be looking for work at a feedlot, since that seems to be beneath them judging by the attitudes of the ones around here. The supposed top hands that do hire on must figure we're all blind and stupid if they don't think we can tell the difference between good and bad cattle handling skills, or the ability or lack thereof to read cattle and position themselves accordingly when making pulls.
The feedlot puts a lot of cattle in front of young horses, and if done right is an opportunity to develop the cow horse without too much heavy pressure. Where else can you sort through 10.000 head or more a month? Sorting isn't the same as cutting, but horses have to be light and responsive to get it done in a timely manner, and they sure need to be paying attention to both cattle and rider.
Of course the most entertainment is brought on by the ones who lose their tempers and put on a good show of going temporarily psycho when a critter refuses to cooperate. Gotta relive the boredom somehow!
As a rancher, I regard the feedlot as an integral part of the industry, and I've learned a lot about animal health, the various treatment protocols, and the feeding industry. I wouldn't want to work there year round, but sure don't mind spending winters there.

azcowpuncher said:
Ha ha no that nevada trip was a long time ago and i like swells on my saddle ha ha i am gonna order a tuscon tree .

I'm sure for what you are doing you need something with a good front-end. I don't think that I have heard of a Tuscon tree, I am familiar with the Modified Association, Syd Special and a Will James. I broke down and had a Wade built after riding a Modified Association for years. That Wade leaks occasionally especially if you're doing some hard riding in the timber. A lot of it depends on the horse as well.

Latest posts