• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows and cowboys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

azcowpuncher said:
yeah i am not to into slick fork saddles myself i like mine with a little swell ha ha . Yeah i have a modified association i like it quit a bit .

Well see we agree on this subject as I have the same tree on my saddle.My horse tends to be a bit broncy so I need all the help I can get.

Yeah i dont like them slick forks at all . If i was to order one here is what it would be . Wade tree 16" seat, Wood Post horn 4" finished cap by 31/4" high, 41/2" straight up cantle , Total rose carved yeah that woudl be perty .

azcowpuncher said:
Yeah i dont like them slick forks at all . If i was to order one here is what it would be . Wade tree 16" seat, Wood Post horn 4" finished cap by 31/4" high, 41/2" straight up cantle , Total rose carved yeah that woudl be perty .

Sorry, I don't do roses. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are several reasons as to why I prefer a slickfork to a swell fork. One of them is the fact that I can put my bucvkin' rolls on and have a lot of swells, a little swells or no swells.And my bucking rolls are a lot softer than them wooden swells.

I ain't arguing here, just stating my preferences. I don't want either one of you two to come lookin' to give me an ass whuppin'.

And remember this, it takes a tuff man to whip me.....

but it sure don't take him long! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha , yeah i know some guys here in arizona like them slick forks i just never could get used to them ya know . But if i had me one made thats what i would get i guess one of these days i will get you to build me one like that with what ever carvin you could to to it would be damn perty i am sure .

I would like to get a custom made saddle someday right now I will make due with the ones I have around here it's hard to justify a custom saddle for the amount of rideing that gets done.We need so much feed for winter seems like the only thing that gets rode is a tractor.Sorry to have offended you the other day that was'nt my intention.I just get pissed to easy sometimes.

azcowpuncher said:
Ha ha ha , yeah i know some guys here in arizona like them slick forks i just never could get used to them ya know . But if i had me one made thats what i would get i guess one of these days i will get you to build me one like that with what ever carvin you could to to it would be damn perty i am sure .

Oh, I'd practive up on roses if that is what someone wanted, but so far I am just plumb stuck on that Sheridan style carving. I never seen any roses I really liked.

Maybe wild roses.

Luskies used to send me a catalog and they had some real purty toolin' in them. I used to drool over them. I ain't had one of their catalogs for quite a spell now.

Speaking of Sheridan carving, did you hear that Don King, who they claim invented it, died?

There is a guy named Jim Jackson who works at Kings and does the finest carving I've ever seen. Real tiny and lots of detail. He is truely an artist.

No i hadnt heard that , thats a shame i see alot of saddles pakcin that kinda toolin . what was the one that porter always used to do on theirs i cant remember now for the life of me .

azcowpuncher said:
No big deal i have already forgot about it . Maybe you ought to see if ole jinglebob can make ya a custom tractor seat ?

Yeah our rakeing tractor's seat cushion is pretty much shot I was rakeing yesterday trying to beat the rain got to chaffing the rear end pretty raw driveing like an idiot.We got hail and some terrible winds lots of trees on fences so today was spent fenceing.

Yeah it was a blowin here today too but bein that i am not employed at the moment i sat in the house and watched it ha ha sayin to myself i am sure glad i aint in that stuff .

azcowpuncher said:
No i hadnt heard that , thats a shame i see alot of saddles pakcin that kinda toolin . what was the one that porter always used to do on theirs i cant remember now for the life of me .

Hmm, I ain't sure but I read that they invented the swivel knife at Porters. Your supposed to use it like a pencil and just carve what you want, but i got to draw out the pattern first and then follow it with the swivel knife.

There are sure guys out there who can carve the prettiest stuff without a pattern. Maybe someday I will be able to also. :)

I sat an' watched Mr. Jackson do some of that carving for about an hour once, a few years ago...I'd come in lookin' for a new rope, and he'd started chattin' with me...no one else there to talk to anyways I reckon...and we'd hit it off right away after I answered his queries about what kindof rig I was workin' out of...an old style 'A-Fork' made in 83' by Fred Dooley (also based in Sheridan Wyo) who apparently once worked for Kings for a few years before opening his own shop, north of the center of town by a few blocks. Anyways...Jim sure does conjure up some serious 'magic' with his leather-tools. Awful expensive stuff there though...$280 for a pair of GE Nippers ? I think NOT ! ! !

Ltdumbear said:
I sat an' watched Mr. Jackson do some of that carving for about an hour once, a few years ago...I'd come in lookin' for a new rope, and he'd started chattin' with me...no one else there to talk to anyways I reckon...and we'd hit it off right away after I answered his queries about what kindof rig I was workin' out of...an old style 'A-Fork' made in 83' by Fred Dooley (also based in Sheridan Wyo) who apparently once worked for Kings for a few years before opening his own shop, north of the center of town by a few blocks. Anyways...Jim sure does conjure up some serious 'magic' with his leather-tools. Awful expensive stuff there though...$280 for a pair of GE Nippers ? I think NOT ! ! !

It maybe ain't the cheapest place to shop, but I buy most of my ropes there. Yup, Jim is a nice guy. Wish I could implant about an 1/8 of his talent into me and my carving would get really good! :D

I turn 56 on Friday. . ..A long time ago my daddy taught me to be a "cowman" instead of a cowboy. . . He bought 1% of the fat cattle killed in this country for 25 years. I sorted cattle from the Rockies to TN; Tx to Michigan. Led em in the show ring from New York to San Antone. . .

Here is a summary of what I was taught:

Always judge the man before you judge his cattle.

A cowman lives up to his word - NO EXCEPTIONS.

"It's no hill for a stepper."

A cowmans's herd will come when he calls. A cowboy's herd jerks their heads up and looks for cover.

Sort with a stick - Not a whip.

Show respect to all people regardless of their station and expect the same from them.

Take care of the cattle and they will take care of you.

Well, I guess I'm a cow-woman then, because my cows will come running to me without even being called! I haven't got time for those heads-up S.O.B.'S!

Shelly said:
Well, I guess I'm a cow-woman then, because my cows will come running to me without even being called! I haven't got time for those heads-up S.O.B.'S!

Same here.. just a yell " come on girls" and show'em a white bucket and they will line up.

Life's too short to mess around always with a foolish bovine. We sell'em off for hamburger if they act the least bit unpredictable or dangerous.

Yeah when we had that bad drought it 2002 we had about 500 cows in a little holdin trap and the feed wasnt very good gettin pretty short they had been in there for 2 days and we were workin on gettin them shipped out of there and i guess they knew it cause the day we went to gather them and start shippin it was bout 5:30 in the mornin and that trap was in a big ole meadow and it really echoed thru there good and i said as a joke you watch i will just call them in haha so i just set there a horseback and started hollerin wooooooooooo woooooooooo kinda like a train horn and them ole cows started bawlin and the dust was risin and it wasnt long and all but maybe 10 of the stubborn ones were standin at the corrals waitin for somthin ha ha they didnt know what but they wanted the hell out of there ha ha . And these are cows that dont come when you call them , but when you gather you make a lot of noise and whoop and hollar they will pull their heads up and head for the nearest water so i guess you could say they were tank broke cows ha ha but they came to the corrals were i was sittin that day ha ha . I never felt more like a farmer in my life it was rather embarissing i had a couple of real good hands day workin for me at the time ha ha .

Latest posts