• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows and Kids and a problem male bovine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
When we went to check on the cows last night the kids wanted to see if "Jellybean" remembered them. :D The calf is out of our Red Angus cow that is pretty gentle and the calf hit the ground this spring just like her momma. Little H said she'd give it a go. The goal is to scratch her nose....
DSCF0001-28.jpg

Goal accomplished! :D Hasn't got very wild on the range this summer has she? By the way, the hair-do is because it was wild hair day at school. Pony tails in lots of directions and some blue highlights! :shock:
DSCF0002-28.jpg

Littlest H had to use more bravery even though he named the calf. The kid claims it belongs to him! :shock: He started out quite slow and timid.
DSCF0003-25.jpg

Ol' jellybean gave him a look over also. But the distance got closed by half!
DSCF0004-28.jpg

Guess she is his heifer! Gentle cattle make life a lot more enjoyable.
DSCF0005-28.jpg

After finding the bull had trouble in his sheath (Wife had the camera, see other post) we hightailed it home haul a load of straw while we had daylight. My best little girl makes a great hay truck driver even though she's 7. She see's over the dash but not very much! :D
DSCF0007-27.jpg

With a grin like that i'd say she's having more fun than the guy throwing bales! Low gear and a long feild make a great drivers ED course!
DSCF0008-26.jpg

This mornin' we went back out to gather the sick bull. Also brought home a bull that raised but have decided to beef out. He's a long yearling with not much going for him in the bull department. Saddling up and installing a bridle.
DSCF0010-23.jpg

Littlest H's job was to stay in the back of the truck and watch for Dad bringing the cows. He also was on the lookout for outlaws!
DSCF0011-25.jpg

Cows coming over the hill from the lower 2 fortys.
DSCF0012-22.jpg

Stringing along toward the corral.
DSCF0013-24.jpg

The cows strung right up the road. The 2 bulls had to walk through the cedars! :roll: Women are smarter! :shock: :???: :wink:
DSCF0015-22.jpg

Some of our little bunch. We will wean after the deer hunt around the 24th of this month.
DSCF0017-17.jpg

Sorting off cows and calves.
DSCF0018-16.jpg

Mr. bull with his issues. See my post about the verdict to see how he came out at the vet.
DSCF0019-13.jpg

Sorting shot of assorted special sisters and a son-of-a-gun!
DSCF0020-20.jpg

Little H's cow and here nice heifer calf.
DSCF0024-17.jpg

Jellybean and freinds checking out Mrs. H
DSCF0022-13.jpg

Me and my buddy! :D If my bull has his legs in the air tomorrow, i'll cuss a little. But when your top hand is an energetic 3 year old who dotes on his Dad, it sure won't matter much will it? :D
DSCF0025-13.jpg

Call those little hay bales idiot cubes used to stack ten/s of thosand of thos every summer with a stackliner, only good thing was we used a team and sleigh to feed. miss the team but my back and knees feel alot better. enjoy spinning off those rounds from inside a cab on a -40 day.

H, that kid needs spurs. How cold is it up on that desert, I notice you have mid winter gear on.

Nice family pictures H - my bizarre observation of the day relates to your cattle though. Their feet are strange - unlike anything I've seen before. First of all they appear almost white - is that just dust on them or are they really that light pigmented? Also the shape of the feet is unusual - some of them appear to have short, wide almost stubby hooves - is that the effect of walking so much on your hard ground? :?

Bovines, Buttons and that Budding Burocrat all look fine and fit H. Glad you got your bull problem solved, hopefully he heals up for you.

Grassfarmer said:
Nice family pictures H - my bizarre observation of the day relates to your cattle though. Their feet are strange - unlike anything I've seen before. First of all they appear almost white - is that just dust on them or are they really that light pigmented? Also the shape of the feet is unusual - some of them appear to have short, wide almost stubby hooves - is that the effect of walking so much on your hard ground? :?

Grassfarmer, that white stuff that looks strange is just dust like ya thought. They spend part of the spring, all summer and most of the fall on cow trails back to water that get to be the consistancy of flour. Another joy of desert living! :wink: Their hooves stay pretty trimmed back thanks to the abundant rocks. Even the mustangs have well groomed feet thanks to the rocky ground. Isn't it amazing how cows and ranching changes in different area's? :D

your calves sure look good..i didn't know sand, wind, rocks could put the pounds on like that :wink: its good to see you are talking the crew with you to keep you in ckeck. does your wife know you three were out and about with out any adult supervision? :D :lol: :wink: :wink:

[/quote]
Me and my buddy! :D If my bull has his legs in the air tomorrow, i'll cuss a little. But when your top hand is an energetic 3 year old who dotes on his Dad, it sure won't matter much will it? :D
DSCF0025-13.jpg
[/quote]

H, it will never be any better than that, the very best memory you will ever have is the kids with you like you have done. I sure miss mine and grin very big when thinking about times we had like yours. I am real happy for you sir!

can we all give a little sigh of relief that those two kids look like their MOM!!! :p thanks for the photos 'H, glad to see there are others that believe in child labour!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Latest posts