• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows and the dog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kato

Reaction score
Got this shot of the replacement heifers & their buddies the other day. Their buddies are the old girls with the late calves who got lucky when the border closed. :wink: If you look carefully you can find old number 10, who is 17 now, and hasn't had her calf yet, but from the looks of her could have it any time. She's given us enough 800 pounders and twins in her past that she's got some credit in her account. :D

heifersattrough2005.jpg

Here's a picture of my good dog Zelda. She helped me move the heifers.

Zeldasitting.jpg

Good looking cattle and good looking dog,now let's see their good looking owner :D ..................good luck PS I see that ole #10

I thought I was the only one to use German Shepards for working livestock. :?

With a little encouragement and training they are great :D and they have the size needed if you need to keep a cow away while working her calf. :D

I see that ole # 10 she is the one leading the rest of em to water...............good luck,and for Kato to have an ole girl calving at that age ,tells me she takes damn good care of her cows :wink:

George, she's a good cattle dog, but is better at moving a large group than doing one on one sorting. Shepherds have a super instinct when it comes to wanting the group to stay together. That's the type of herding they were originally bred for. Keep the herd together, don't allow strays, and guard them at the same time. We didn't teach her much about moving the herd, she just seemed to know how to keep them collected.

I always feel safe when she's around, and she's pretty good watching a gate too :D

Yes I agree - - - I have had several and if you just take them with you and give a little instruction they really love to please and are very easy to train. I am deffinently not a good trainer but have had great results due to the "can do " attitude the doge have.

I never leave the collar on the dogs when they are working. Just incase they were to get into something and get snagged.

Putting on the collar is the signal that we get to go in the truck. She associates the two. That way she isn't hopping in the cab every time we go somewhere. :D

No collar, no ride. This is how to have a dog that never tries to follow the truck. Nothing I hate more than looking in the rear view mirror and seeing the dog running down the road after us.

Latest posts