• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows are home

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Brought them home this morning. Trailed them about five miles. Hailey and Hyrum did the horseback work. I went ahead and blocked gates. We'd normally just close them but the snow if frozen and they were stuck open. Unless somebody wanted to dig them out, and you all know I'm pure lazy. One wreck happened. A jackass who lives here in town and should know better just had to pass. Kept crowding Hailey until she had to move her horse off the road into the drifts. Her horse fell with her. Banged up her ankle and maybe broke her wrist. Angie is taking her to the Doc for X-rays now. I am going to post these pictures and then go have a discussion with said jackass about courtesy when moving cows. And I may just twist his neck shut. So if ya don't hear from me, I'm in jail. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Worthless dumb SOB!!!
Headed west-

A6F4FD20-B2AE-4F22-9935-84C8A06B992E.jpeg

C63D7BE0-9CC9-47EF-95EE-73B5BCCBEB1A.jpeg

Looking west where we are going-
4720CF1F-31A8-447D-8386-28B4BB377DAA.jpeg

Cows home being Democrats for the rest of the winter.
7E73B183-CFA1-4145-9952-86DE625F1B1B.jpeg

53000D87-EAB6-4A71-BC03-1C1297273706.jpeg

I'd appreciate a prayer of patience in my behalf, because I'm mad enough to bust someone's nose.

Well sir, cattle look most excellent!

And as a fellow father, we are certainly willing to go to prison, but they'd just as soon have us home. Of course, it is winter, and folks are known to have nasty accidents on ice around the house. :unsure:

My neighbor who is now 36 was helping the family move several hundred cows down the road. This was long enough ago that he was riding a Shetland pony. Road there is reasonably straight. Some guy came flying down the road. Rear ended the pony blowing right out from under the boy. Luckily the boy wasn't injured but it killed the pony. Everyone marveled at the fact that the Dad didn't kill the driver.

Years ago, we used a NH bale wagon to stack hay, we leveled off a place on top of a knoll out in the meadow where we dry farmed alfalfa and barley on top. we had a trail along the bottom and then up a little draw to get up to the stack with the team and sleigh. We use a chain and rough lock a back runner before we came down. We in was a nice warm winter day. My brother and I had the sleigh loaded up there on top and we could see the Neighbor son who was a year older them me. trying to move his cows out of a meadow a few miles west of us right below the forest. he had the last of the haystack on his sleigh and was trying to get the cows to go down the sleigh trail in front of him. My brother and I just looked at each other. All he would have had to do was cut one bale and head home throwing of a little flake every few yards. Even when he hit the snow-covered highway for the last mile. We finished feeding the stock cows, yearling horses and mile or so back home and 2nd feed for the milk cows and a feed in another pasture for the milk cows after milking that evening. We unhitched , decide to run to town see what news there was at the cafe and when we got to the lane , the neighbor had finally figered out the cows would fallow, and he made it the 2 1/2 miles to the highway. When we move cows we get out the cake on a flat bead or the drum cake feeder behind the tractor, and even just a bale behind the tractor.

We just got cows onto the highway in the middle of June for a 3-day trail (then 3 -5 days going upriver t the permit) to Alpine and the Bridger-Teton, little greys river grazing permit. All highway with grazing association pastures to overnight in. Cattle were stung out good, and I was clearing a lane taking a line of cars thru from the back. Just getting to the frond my horse bolts to the side and there a bulk milk truck the drivers are over his head. then the Loug thump! thump! thump! and he hit about 8-9 cows and 10 calves, not all the calve belonged to the cows> My grandad rode up to the stopped 10-wheeler and looked at the driver and said, "You nit-wit some of a bitch". Dad had FB insurance; my grand dad had state farm. Dad's check was more than double per cow or calf then my grandfathers. We chased bummed calves for the next 5 days, even thru big willow patches on the forest. Next year everybody trucked to corrals in alpine. We trailed home and still cut off cows and calves as we went past ranches along the highway. Then the association pastures got sold cattle got trucked to the forest and back home.

I decided if I was drive over to his place today, I'd probably do something I might regret. I guess it's a good thing I am 54 instead of 34 because I've been mad as hell all day and twenty years ago I'd of punched the stupid SOB. So I stayed away and worked on a few projects here. Hailey had X-rays and she is just bruised up good and had some gravel cleaned out of her hand. We dodged a bullet shot by a dumb ass who should know better. I ain't promising I would smack him upside his jug head next time I see him. But for now, I'll just stay on a high simmer and not boil over.

I decided if I was drive over to his place today, I'd probably do something I might regret. I guess it's a good thing I am 54 instead of 34 because I've been mad as hell all day and twenty years ago I'd of punched the stupid SOB. So I stayed away and worked on a few projects here. Hailey had X-rays and she is just bruised up good and had some gravel cleaned out of her hand. We dodged a bullet shot by a dumb ass who should know better. I ain't promising I would smack him upside his jug head next time I see him. But for now, I'll just stay on a high simmer and not boil over.
Well, you could of just called him "a nit wit sob"

Once my temper gets turned out it's not fun for me or anyone else. I can't usually just tell someone off without losing my temper. And then who knows? I've been in a more than a few scrapes and I'd rather not be like that. Trust me when I say that this idiot today needs a good ass kicking. But what kind of example would I be setting for my son?

Once my temper gets turned out it's not fun for me or anyone else. I can't usually just tell someone off without losing my temper. And then who knows? I've been in a more than a few scrapes and I'd rather not be like that. Trust me when I say that this idiot today needs a good ass kicking. But what kind of example would I be setting for my son?
I slowly mellowed with age. Yeah, I still get mad, but usually takes a bit longer than it used too.

We trailed yearling to Big Beaver to ship on the rail, Minimum 6 miles down the highway. One time the old cattle buyer was supposed to be flagging the rear pulled right down be hind the herd as we had to cross a small bridge and creek. A 18 wheeler came down behind him with Jake roaring and brakes smoking. He was a little shook and the old cattle buyer just said "well he should have been able to stop"
After that we made sure the flaggers knew what to do.

After some time has passed just quietly and casually tell him that if it were to happen again he will spend more time in the hospital than you would in jail. Just look him right in the eye and never say another word. Things said quietly and calmly and then left to stand have a much greater affect than a bunch of yelling and cussing.

After some time has passed just quietly and casually tell him that if it were to happen again he will spend more time in the hospital than you would in jail. Just look him right in the eye and never say another word. Things said quietly and calmly and then left to stand have a much greater affect than a bunch of yelling and cussing.
Easier said than done when you are wired like I am. I'm the good book "Joe Pepper" I found my motto in life- "When in doubt, shoot the son of a blank"!!!
I haven't shot many folks but I've punched a bunch in the runnin lights. And had a few punch back and throughly kick my butt. 😁

Stupid drivers are the reason I quit carrying my Colt 45 when pushing cattle on a highway or even a county road. Paying for a radiator replacement can be spendy. I was aiming for their beeping horn but was slightly off. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
In my opinion, a good example! Think of the stories he could tell his grandkids about his daddy delivering a good old fashion ass whopping to a driver that should have been charged with harassment.

324667217_693450145486668_1956576813599493742_n.jpg

Latest posts