• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows decided to swim away (pics added)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bootheel

Reaction score
Had the cows down on the river for the past week, moved them to a cell on the high side of the river Saturday evening. I guess they got a little to hot sunday or decided to have a baptizing. 31 of 180 head were either in the river or on the other side.

They basically had to jump or slide off a 6 foot vertical bank into the river.
Missed a really good picture oppurtunity floating seven head back up the river to a creek outlet, DRIVING THEM IN A JOHN BOAT, PADDLE POWERED.

The other 24 head decided they were happy on the neighbors bean field, they did not want to swim back across.

I got some pics of the portable corral set up in the bean field, we got them home this afternoon.

Have not had an escapee on the river in about six years, so I guess we were do. All in all still had a good day, just was not how I planned it.

Life is still Good, live it up.
Bootheel

Got a few pics, we'll see if photo bucket will let me tell the story, can't seem to make the picture deal on ranchers work :(

The crew, a frriend and former employee,little brother, his new bride behind the camera, and yours truly.

016.jpg

[/img]
026.jpg

Cows are in a 25 acre river bend, some probably call 'em oxbow, only about 40 yards from river to river where panels are set up. The cows are in the brush, CRP filter strip, and woods next to river, dogs of choice, Lefty and Uno bringing 'em along.

Commands are of little use when you can't see the dogs, got to trust them and be quiet. :wink:

028.jpg

[/img]
029.jpg

Waiting a
031.jpg
t the gate

their in
032.jpg

058.jpg

Loaded up
073.jpg

022-1.jpg

May your cows stay where they belong, if they don't, take a picture and enjoy it, ya'll have a blessed week.
Bootheel
Job completed[/img]

ya know what they say about them goataphobs(sp. as in phobia, ie. arachniaphobia, homophobia, etc.) :lol:

Methinks the lady doth protesteth too much. :shock: :lol:

Rivers make a good fence till they don't-I had a bear spook about 50 yearlings across a creek in full flood we had quite a time getting them back across. Thick bush so really no where to hold them to try and cross them.

Got the pics added above, don't know if thats proper protocol, but what do you expect from a no-account goat herder :p

Works for me, thanks for the pics. Most of us are not much on protocol anyway.

Latest posts