• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cows eating to much mineral

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I may be wrong, but I have allways felt it is in my best intrest to buy a mineral that is specificly blended for my area. I can't quite understand how a mineral that is good for one area could (say that's high in selenium or mag. ) be good in an area that is low in these areas. But like I said, I'm not a nutritionist.

tlakota said:
soapweed
with mixing 1 bag of salt with 2 bags of 3v4 are they eating in pretty good still? That is exactly what i saw whe i saw the prices...your paying more money for something with 3 times as much as salt...do you get it with ctc or igr and if you do can you see any benefits? Also whats your total cow breedback and percentage of cows bred in the first cycle...i sure hope this can take care of some of my problems.

Yes, the cows eat plenty of the 2/3 mineral 1/3 salt combination. I have tried half mineral half salt, and they don't eat enough of that. Our cows bred back quite well, and they were calving fast enough that I sure wouldn't have wanted them to come any faster. The only time I have used ctc is once several years ago when we had a foot-rot outbreak. It sure helped in getting that problem stopped. The cows mostly have workable tails, so I've never spent the extra money on igr. :wink:

Soapweed said:
tlakota said:
soapweed
with mixing 1 bag of salt with 2 bags of 3v4 are they eating in pretty good still? That is exactly what i saw whe i saw the prices...your paying more money for something with 3 times as much as salt...do you get it with ctc or igr and if you do can you see any benefits? Also whats your total cow breedback and percentage of cows bred in the first cycle...i sure hope this can take care of some of my problems.

Yes, the cows eat plenty of the 2/3 mineral 1/3 salt combination. I have tried half mineral half salt, and they don't eat enough of that. Our cows bred back quite well, and they were calving fast enough that I sure wouldn't have wanted them to come any faster. The only time I have used ctc is once several years ago when we had a foot-rot outbreak. It sure helped in getting that problem stopped. The cows mostly have workable tails, so I've never spent the extra money on igr. :wink:

But I've noticed some of em don't have "workable ears".......I sure hope them that don't have em, have extra long tails to reach the front :wink:
See....ours got swatters on both ends...them big ears is good for other stuff besides shadin calves. :p

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Soapweed said:
tlakota said:
soapweed

But I've noticed some of em don't have "workable ears".......I sure hope them that don't have em, have extra long tails to reach the front :wink:
See....ours got swatters on both ends...them big ears is good for other stuff besides shadin calves. :p

The ones without "workable" ears probably can't hear the buzzin' of the flies anyway, so it is not a problem. :wink:

Another of my long-standing beliefs is that I'd rather spend the money on nutrition than spending the same money on hiring a "nutritionist." :roll: My neighbor once spent several thousand dollars hiring a nutritionist, and the expert mainly told him that he needed to feed mineral. :wink:

soapweed
im just curious how do you feed during the winter...it looks like your cows are pretty hardy....do you just give them 20 pounds of hay and let them go graze? i cant imagine the hay you would go through with that many cows...and also right now how do you manage your heifer pairs...do you feed them any better then the cow herd?

Latest posts