• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows home for a week or two

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Feed is about done where I have my cattle. We have had some rains this monsoon season but they have been scattered. My leased pasture hasn't got as much as we did here in town or in other spots. So I'm bringing them home today. Got a line on a great section I can run them on. But water is the trouble. Going to spend next weekend putting in a trough and hopefully I can put them out there til the snow flys. So for now, I'm hauling water in my little piece of meadow in preparation for bringing the cows home this evening. More pictures to follow…….

A friend of mine just took a job as the cow boss for an outfit that winters the cows south of Boise. Desert winter range he says no feeding hay but he has to haul water. I told him I would rather feed hay. Tough to haul frozen water.

Hauling water is a necessary evil on most Great Basin ranches lately. Rains bring grass but snow we don't have and haven't for a while recharge's the springs and aquifers. I know of quite a few horseback outfits who are hauling tens of thousands of gallons a day

Neighbor that done some dirt work, a pipeline work for us, SIL worked for him for a couple years. Was telling us about a abandon coal bed methane, that stretched over a long hill on a ranch that they sealed off two ends and that ranch has a cistern that hold tens of thousands of water to gravity flow their pipelines.

Latest posts