• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows on the rail

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
We shipped the broken mouth cows on Monday. I got the check today. Most of the cows either brought $1.90 or $1.87 a pound on the rail. There was two smaller thinner cows that got $1.81 and $1.75 a pound. There is still 11 pairs that are MIA. We have a pretty good idea where they are but they haven't been caught yet. The calves are a little light this year but because of high hay prices I was buying later. That made calves being born later. There is 82 weaned calves (part mine and part that belong to B) that came to the hay regrowth at my place this morning. They were happy to get out of the corral and on to green grass.

P8183012.JPG
P8183013.JPG
P8183014.JPG

Grass so green it hurts my eyes. Calves look plenty good to me sir. I'd say life up your way is swell for sure.
Basically unlimited irrigation water that is the next thing to free does make the grass look good. I have better grass. The calves didn't take many steps after leaving the trailer. They finally walked around the corner to the best grass.

Grass like that will make them content and stack on the pounds. I leased a meadow one year and ran stocker calves on it. Weighed them on and when we took them off three months later. That averaged 3.11 lbs per day. Sure wish things hadn't changed and that ground isn't available anymore.

Looking good! When you capture the MIAs will they be able to go to the plant or will you sell them at the barn?
Probably go to the sale barn. 8 of them are in one place and the other 3 are miles away. B is also missing 10 or 12. I doubt we will have them all caught at the same time.
We have a bunch of yearlings going to the sale on Wednesday. Some of them were small calves off last years BM cows. I am wondering how many of these smaller calves are going to get held over to join the yearling program.

The rainbow calf herd headed toward the house. Funny how they are all working their way up the irrigation ditch. It is dry and I sprayed it a while back to keep the grass and weeds out of it. Nothing it to eat and drink but it is the route they are following.

P8233015.JPG

Latest posts