• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows Pump There Own Water

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Are you the VB ranch on 85 in nd?

Seems like a good idea on the pump, but what about crowding? I always worry about slipping a calf. I've wondered about pumping water with the cows weight when she steps up to drink, but when she needed more water, she'd stand there instead of repeating the step up.

Brad S said:
Are you the VB ranch on 85 in nd?

Seems like a good idea on the pump, but what about crowding? I always worry about slipping a calf. I've wondered about pumping water with the cows weight when she steps up to drink, but when she needed more water, she'd stand there instead of repeating the step up.
Not the one in ND
I think that water might work if they didn't have to come to far, seems like when I get them to come a 1/2 mile or more to a tank they all gotta come

I have 2 of these for sale if anybody wants them. I don't like them. Good idea but until her calf is about 350 lbs, he can't operate it. Some of my cows got raw noses operating it and it was hard to watch them on a hot day beating on that thing trying to get enough water as it only dispenses about 1 litre per stroke of which one third of it splashed out onto the ground.

Thanks for the info, Johnny. When I first looked at remote systems, I considered the nose pump and wondered if the problems you described would be an issue - I guess I was right. I went to the motion-controlled solar set-ups and couldn't be happier.

Aaron said:
Thanks for the info, Johnny. When I first looked at remote systems, I considered the nose pump and wondered if the problems you described would be an issue - I guess I was right. I went to the motion-controlled solar set-ups and couldn't be happier.

Do you have a link for the info on your system?

Latest posts