• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows @ Salt

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I think all animals need some salt and as such we all crave it to one extent or another. But the craving for salt might be a craving for other minerals that are needed for optimum performance and as such the mineral companies try to get a blend that will satisfy both the needs and the cravings.

About the only time I put out salt is if I get new animals in that are eating much more than the needed amounts of minerals and I put salt out to cut down on mineral consumption. After the animals get the minerals they need in their system then I can remove the salt.

There is almost as much cloride (salt is sodium cloride) as there is calcium in milk. Ask a dairy farmer if he ever forgot to put salt in his ration, if he did his milk production dropped 5# the next day. So if the average angus produces 20# of milk a day, not having salt will drop her production 2-3#. If calves convert milk to meat at 6 to 1 you just lost a half pound of daily gain by not putting out a salt block.

isn't it like us at restaurants. The food is salty or salted so we drink "water" and the more "water" we drink the more food we can pack in a given space. The more food we can pack into a given space the greater the gain. (restaurants want to sell you dessert, thats why they never let your water glass go empty) If you take a bucket and fill it with dry hay and then add water can't you add more hay because it will compact easier? This is of course in addition to the relatively small nutritional requirements. Just some ideas having had my share of salted peanuts and "water".
:D

Latest posts