• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mn

Reaction score
My son would like to buy more cows. Do you guy's think now's the time?Can you buy anything for 11-1200. Thanks

Bred heifers in Western SD are around $1200.

The guy who ran heifers here this year would maybe sell some for that price. If your interested, pm me withyour phone number and I'll put you in touch with him.

mn said:
My son would like to buy more cows. Do you guy's think now's the time?Can you buy anything for 11-1200. Thanks

There is a bred cow sale saturday at Tri-County Livestock in Motley Mn I bet there will be plenty for that price range some for less..

mn:

This is just my humble opinion, but I would guess the cattle market is at it's high or near it's high because heifer retention is starting to been seen, and that means the cow herd is growing in size nationwide. That means that we might be near the top of the price cycle, so in 5-7 years me might be a the bottom of the price cycle, and thus breakevens might be a little tighter, and I am guessing that producers will have more of a challenge in paying off our higher priced cows and heifers.

My thought would be to wait and try to "buy low and sell high." We have a neighbor where I was raised that always seems to be on the right end of buying low and selling high--he just made a pile of cash buying a band of ewes dirt cheap, getting 5 lamb crops out of them, selling them high, and then dispersing the flock at high prices. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that he just dispersed his cow herd too---that he bought in the wreck of the late 90's, for less than $500 per pair. I'd guess he'll run some yearlings for awhile and when the market is low, start this game all over again.

However, if you're wanting to build a great cowherd over time, his method of madness might not be the way to go. He always had a decent set of cows, but also thought he could get more too. Lots of ranchers, me included, are proud of the herd we've built over time, so it's harder for folks like us to disperse in good times and buy back in times of cheaper prices.

An added note to all of this, bankers seem to always like to lend $$$ when prices are high, and it's harder to get pennies out of them when prices are low---and interest rates will likely be going up too.

For whatever it's worth (and sometimes you get what you pay for!) I hope I've added something constructive to this discussion.

Although I'm a true blue optimist, I also am a realist and know that what goes up must come down, and we will have lower cattle prices in the future--maybe more near term than we would hope!

Cheers!!!

TTB

Latest posts