• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Coyote contests and protesters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I checked our bakermt.com website and it showed that it wasn't up and needed to be renewed. So I called the powers that be, and told them what was going on. I was checking to see if the info about our Coyote Calling Contest was on there, after I advised some folks to check there for more information as it became available.

Anyhow, I had to run to town this afternoon and I found out that on our website we had 4 comments about the Coyote Calling Contest and they weren't good. One actually was from the President of the Chamber of Commerce in KALISPELL, MT. saying that SHE thought it was despicible that a Chamber of Commerce would sponsor a coyote hunt. (For those that don't know, Baker Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture sponsors our annual coyote hunt to show support for the farmers and ranchers of the area.)

I told the woman that relayed this to me to ask the Kalispell woman from what state did she leave to move to Montana.

Rancher and farmers mean NOTHING to this state. We are just a pain in the butt. It gets really tiresome. I sincerely believe that ND, SD, NE and WY treat their agriculture people with more respect than we get in Mt. They just want this state as a playgound for the rich.

Faster Horses,

I absolutely agree with you 100%. Now, what can we do as CattleWomen to defray this "crap"? I am just as sick of it as you are. Let's plan together and make things go our way.

Looking forward to your thoughts....
Kathy Wiley

You will be taking on quite a job Faster Horses. These people have been taught from the first book that they read, this is a Walt Disney world & The only predator is man. In this little world, there are no starving animals, they don't eat each other, no disease, etc. They all live like Bambi, by a small stream with lush grass, and play all day.

This is found in every children's book & movie. Unlike a farm-ranch kid, they never see nature except on a one day field trip & through rose colored glasses. I remember a woman trying to sue a school because her kid saw a documentary where a lion killed and ate another animal. She said it was traumatic and her kid would require therapy.

I believe that all people should be educated on cruelty to animals but should hear the whole story. Not just from the wacko groups. They should be taught about the checks and balances of nature. How overpopulation of animals needs to be controlled and that the lack of it results in natures cruelty.

As far as respect for farmers & ranchers, this is shifting just as fast as the population is shifting from small towns to cities. Their food comes from the shelves of grocery stores and that's all they need to know as far as they are concerned.

I do not know what the liability or what a pain in the butt it would be, but if one wanted to get involved, how about a real field trip to local ranches. A group of ranchers could get together, pick a ranch and host a tour. Show these kids what is involved in raising cattle and where their burgers come from, not just the hand sticking out of the fast food window. Your local implement dealers, parts houses, etc. all have appreciation days with burgers etc. Ranches are businesses also and could get together and have the same kind of day. Just thinking out loud, sorry for rambling. Have a nice weekend.

That is a great idea. Thanks for your post.

Several Montana CattleWomen clubs do as you suggested, but we could probably do more of them. And I don't know how many involve the school. I know that they take business people on ranch tours and in Wyoming, tourists are taken. It is a free thing, but requires quite a bit of coordination and cooperation.

And you are right about the way things are slanted in school; and, I have to add: from teachers taught in liberal schools by liberal professors.

Since I am in the newspaper industry, it is amazing to me the lack of knowledge of agrictulture that exists in that field. We haven't done a very good job of keeping ourselves to the front and educating people. I think we know it, so we assume everyone does. We are all busy trying to make a living and I think we have let some important things fall through the cracks.

I will give this some more thought and I am sure Hanta Yo will also. She is in a position to carry it through on a state level.
Again, thanks for the post.

Latest posts