• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Coyotes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Like Silver, I guess we have co-existed with coyotes for a long time, with no bad effects. However, they tend to make us nervous when there gets to be too many of them. We had a neighbor that lived at the foot the mountains several years ago. The coyotes were a real problem there, and I saw it myself first hand. He had to call in the state with helicoptors in order to cut down on coyote numbers. They were working on cows that were giving birth. Not a pretty sight.

It is just that WE never experienced the problem ourselves. We have a lot of respect for the WILY COYOTE, and unless there gets to be too many in one area, we say live and let live.

As for trapping, I see nothing wrong with that, provided the person doing the trapping CHECKS HIS TRAPS DAILY or at least once every two days. Many don't seem to want to do that, so there is no trapping on our place.

I help with the coyote calling contest we have here in Fallon County. Last year we heard a lot of coyotes yipping at night, every night. The callers didn't harvest any coyotes off our place, BUT, we ceased hearing them for several months. Don't know where they went, but they weren't around
here.

Now, if we had sheep, IT WOULD BE A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY.

We have a lot of coyotes in this country, but they haven't bothered the cattle any. WE all have donkeys with our herds, but I don't think they are worth the powder to blow 'em up. The coyotes do keep the deer herd in check. The Parks and Wildlife dept. says they get up to 60 per cent of the fawns.

What bothers me most is dogs running loose. I trim them up every chance I get. Dogs will run and chew up calves for the fun of it.
Another problem we have is buzzards. We have a Mexican buzzard coming into this country that is more agressive than the old turkey vulture. Those Mexican buzzards will sit around a calving cow and wait for the calf. And if the cow can't or don't fight them off they will peck the eyes out of the calf and kill it. I think we loose more calves to them in this country than coyotes. And the bad news is they are protected. I have seen a few that weren't protected enough. :roll: :

I know most of you have to much acerage for this to work but I only have 300 acres and I have fenced and crossed fenced it with two strands of hi tensile wire - - - one 12" and the other 12" above it - - - - both HOT !!! I put white DOT tape in 2" squares about every 10 to 15 feet on the top wire which are hot as well. I think the deer try to sniff this to check it out and now they stay away.

I mean hot - - - the biggest charger TSC sells and three ground rods - - - I use a 5 light tester and I get 5 lights (10,000 volts) all over.

I no longer have any dogs, or coyotes and very few deer as well.

The ease edge of my property borders on the town of Greensboro and since I put up the hot wire the stray dog problem for the town is way down. I have seen a couple of dogs hit this wire and I tell you they leave the area. My own dogs will not cross a fence but will only go thru with a leash and are very wary even though they watch me open the gates.

Latest posts