• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Crazy Bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Will G

Reaction score
Monday a two year old angus bull here tried to kill a newborn calf ( about two hours old) Never saw anything like this before...Been around cattle for years. Has anyone seen this before ? And yes the bull will be sold for burger. Thanks

Years back, show bull, been on road for a year, came unbuckled at a show, went stark raving nuts, cleaned out the carnies, vet thought he had a stroke, same end game, burgers

Big Muddy rancher said:
He must of had HIGH Maternal EPD's. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I sure hope your wife reads this and then you can post some great pictures of skin changing colour. :lol: :lol:

As for the bull, I have never had a bull do this, but we have had a couple cows that were over aggressive with their own calf, the worst being a couple years ago. She got put in the naughty pen and SHOWN how to treat her calf. She did the same thing the next spring and sealed her fate as an Angus 1/3 pounder with cheese and bacon.

Last year I bought a dozen full blood Simmentals. They were all light yellow. They mixed in quite well with my mainly gert herd but all the other cows were dark red to medium red. The first 2 light yellow Simmental calves born set off the normally quiet gert cows. I think they thought the first calf born was a wolf in sheeps clothing. I was in the yard minding my own business when all of a sudden I heard an awful lot of bellowing. As I hopped in the truck and zipped out there, the herd came galloping into the corral. All that was left out there was one Simmental cow and her calf. It wasn't until the second light yellow calf was born that it started up again but this time I was present and I saw 2 Gert cows completely unglued about the foreign calf. Some gert cows got somewhat aggresive with the offending calf and for two weeks they would not allow the Simmental calf at the feedline. The mother had to go park it away at some distance in order to be able to eat hay with the others. It was the most bizzare thing I had ever seen.

Calf most likely smelt of blood. This fall we had mine and Soapweeds bulls all together they came across my truck that had deer blood in the back I could see them from my deerstand the bellowing and fighting was a pretty good sight. Blood will set them off most times.

Yep proably smelled blood....I got him away from the calf and thought every thing was alright and he went right back and attacked it agin. Moved the cow and calf to another pasture and went the next morning to get the bull up and another cow had calved she got her calf and started to move it away from me. The bull spoted the pair and started to follow them I ran the truck between them before anything could happen so I don't know what he would have done. I pulled a breech calf out of old cow right beside the lot I have him last night he never acted bad...but he's still gone sale day

I had a cow that for several years had had a small lump on her jaw-- and since it never bothered her or got bigger I just left it alone.... One day this winter we were going to pour the cows again- so I fed in the old arena in the morning to make it easier to corral them ... When I fed I noticed that several cows were fighting this lumpy cow- with one just being terrible...I also noticed that the lump had broken open and was draining...

I figured they would just quit fighting and go to eating- so never worried about it again... A couple of hours later we came out and found the lumpy cow dead-- and from the sign around it- it appears as they kept fighting her until they killed her- and then almost shoved her thru the bottom fence rails...
And the only reason I can figure out they went nuts and fought her was the smell from the drainage on her lump... :???:
They acted almost the same as when you are moving bulls thru a pasture and come across an old cow carcass or bones...

Used to be an old saying about bulls and blood. When they smell it, they will either move in for the kill, or freak out and back off.

Latest posts