• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Creekstone Farms doubling capacity

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
Will that Creekstone Farms Premium Black Angus Beef sell for a "premium" because it's organic? If regular beef prices are high in the grocery stores now, are consumers going to be willing to fork out the extra dough for this beef?
 

Chuckie

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
367
Reaction score
0
Location
northeast nebraska
their program is all fine and good, but how will it get back any of it's Asian exports? if the asian market is requiring cattle 20 mo. or less of age, how does the company prove that? "US born and raised" doesn't guarantee age, and this country doesn't have any sort of tracing system for age requirements..?

i guess i just don't see how the organic angus program will help their company re: export markets.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
chuckie said:
their program is all fine and good, but how will it get back any of it's Asian exports? if the asian market is requiring cattle 20 mo. or less of age, how does the company prove that? "US born and raised" doesn't guarantee age, and this country doesn't have any sort of tracing system for age requirements..?

Chuckie- we have signed affidavits to verify age, origin, state and county pastured, feedstuffs, vaccinations and antibiotics....Prior to the Washington cow closure of our exports, Japan was already requiring and taking these affidavits for the beef they were importing....
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Oldtimer said:
chuckie said:
their program is all fine and good, but how will it get back any of it's Asian exports? if the asian market is requiring cattle 20 mo. or less of age, how does the company prove that? "US born and raised" doesn't guarantee age, and this country doesn't have any sort of tracing system for age requirements..?

Chuckie- we have signed affidavits to verify age, origin, state and county pastured, feedstuffs, vaccinations and antibiotics....Prior to the Washington cow closure of our exports, Japan was already requiring and taking these affidavits for the beef they were importing....

The talk up here is that when expanding capacity comes on line and US cattle come north to harvest that an additional affidavit will be needed to verify that the cattle aren't owned by R-calf members. Mandatory ID showing herd of origin will be a must to send cattle north so it shouldn't be too hard to verify.
 

Chuckie

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
367
Reaction score
0
Location
northeast nebraska
ot, if all those affadavits (previously required and provided...) were all it took to open up the asian export market, why aren't they accepting them now?

and to whom were they provided? the packer sure never saw them and the packer is who does the actual exporting of the beef.

i guess my question is, if the cow/calf guy has all this documentation (and has had all this time), what happens to it? the feedlot trashes it? and if the feedlot has, in the past, trashed it, then it evidently wasn't required by asia to export the product. because most packers don't have any such thing, never have had, from the the feedlot.

prior to the washington cow closure of the export markets, if the packers who provided the product didn't require/have the documentation, where did the asians get it from?

i just don't get it! :roll:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
chuckie said:
ot, if all those affadavits (previously required and provided...) were all it took to open up the asian export market, why aren't they accepting them now?

and to whom were they provided? the packer sure never saw them and the packer is who does the actual exporting of the beef.

i guess my question is, if the cow/calf guy has all this documentation (and has had all this time), what happens to it? the feedlot trashes it? and if the feedlot has, in the past, trashed it, then it evidently wasn't required by asia to export the product. because most packers don't have any such thing, never have had, from the the feedlot.

prior to the washington cow closure of the export markets, if the packers who provided the product didn't require/have the documentation, where did the asians get it from?

i just don't get it! :roll:

I inspected many loads of cattle out of this county that went to feedlots in Colorado--Some were before BSE had been even found in Canada-- They required the cattle owner to fill out all this info-- according to the buyer and the truckers, these affidavits accompanied the health inspection and brand inspection to the feedlot.... When these calves were unloaded they were tagged with the feedlots ID tags to correspond with the paperwork--- Then whenever they were slaughtered copies of all that paperwork was available for shipment with the beef- they said that the Japanese were requiring it.....I do not know the name of where they were being slaughtered- but it appears that some feeders and packers may have been ahead of the game already......Before they closed, Future Beef was requiring affidavits like this also-- they also wanted breed makeup of cattle-% British to % Continental..

One of the issues I have heard in regards to the Japanese is that they have lost faith in the USDA-- they want Canadian beef segregated out, but are not sure if they can trust USDA to guarantee this since USDA knowingly allowed unauthorized Canadian beef to come in before- also apparently they have some questions about how well USDA did before on segregating the Canadian beef.... And as like in the post I put on earlier tonite- opening the Canadian border to show good faith is a no issue with the Japanese- human health safety is.............
 

Chuckie

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
367
Reaction score
0
Location
northeast nebraska
all i can speak to is what i know, ie, maybe all that paperwork is required only to ship the calves interstate (as it is with horses--the health papers, etc.), BUT, until the BSE issues arose, the ONLY paperwork that's been required from feedlot to packer re: all the above, is a brand-inspection certificate (IF the cattle come out of a brand-inspection area or are being killed in a brand-inspection area). so how the asians could require/acquire the paperwork you saay they did pre-BSE is a mystery to me.

of course, i don't know how the rest of the country opperates; perhaps other packers in other places did have a complete paper trail from birthplace to kill. i really don't know.

but it doesn't make sense to me: if they had all this information, why aren't they exporting to asia even as we speak? am i missing something basic here??
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
OT: "I inspected many loads of cattle out of this county that went to feedlots in Colorado--Some were before BSE had been even found in Canada-- They required the cattle owner to fill out all this info-- according to the buyer and the truckers, these affidavits accompanied the health inspection and brand inspection to the feedlot...."


Note how the signed affidavits ACCOMPANIED THE HEALTH INSPECTION AND BRAND INSPECTION (ie TRACEBACK) to the feedlot.

No where has anyone positively proved origination with ONLY a signed affidavit. There has to be a means of traceback to enforce the signed affidavit. If that was not the case, there would be no reason for a hot iron brand to accompany the brand papers.

Consumers will never allow labeling claims to be confirmed with ONLY, I repeat ONLY a signed affidavit without a means to enforce it (ie brands or individual animal ID). That dog won't hunt!


~SH~
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Creekstone Farms Natural Black Angus Beef
• USDA Certified
• Raised without supplemental hormones
• No antibiotics – ever
• Raised on a 100% vegetarian diet
• *Minimally processed with no artificial ingredients
• Source verified -- cattle born and raised in the U.S.A.
• Random residue testing for antibiotics
• Guaranteed Tender

Why is the USDA allowing them to do this? Seems they are inferring something there. Aren't they setting a dangerous pecident that everybody will have to follow? :wink: :wink:
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Speaking of Creekstone..................

http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/usda_slaughters_creekstone.html
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Sandhusker: "Why is the USDA allowing them to do this? Seems they are inferring something there. Aren't they setting a dangerous pecident that everybody will have to follow?"

Still bawling up an empty tree.

These claims can be backed. They are not false advertising.

100% BSE testing, THAT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THE JAPANESE PARLIAMENT WOULD EVEN ALLOW, is false advertising.

YES FALSE ADVERTISING by creating the "ILLUSION" of safety.

You soiled your pants again.


~SH~
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
~SH~ said:
Sandhusker: "Why is the USDA allowing them to do this? Seems they are inferring something there. Aren't they setting a dangerous pecident that everybody will have to follow?"

SH, "Still bawling up an empty tree. These claims can be backed. They are not false advertising."

A claim that Beef is BSE tested can also be backed.

SH,"100% BSE testing, THAT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THE JAPANESE PARLIAMENT WOULD EVEN ALLOW, is false advertising. YES FALSE ADVERTISING by creating the "ILLUSION" of safety.

Don't yell at me - it's the Japanese's law!

SH, "You soiled your pants again."

yada yada yada


~SH~
 

Latest posts

Top