• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

creep feed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Celiac disease? Never heard of it. I wish you the best.
the peacan crop will start in 4 to 6 weeks.

Angus Breeder said:
I don't understand how you can say we are doing our customers an injustice by creep feeding our calves! For starters you have no idea of how we are developing those calves from 205 days until 365 days. It seems startling that you would pass judgement based on one peice of information. (Do you make all your assumptions without knowing all of the FACTS) We sent, in round figures around 100 yearling bulls weighing around 1250 - 1400 into commercial programs last year alone. I have personally seen 80% of those bulls after they had covered cows for at least 30 days, and they looked great. In addition to that I never had a complaint on condition or feet/legs.(Not One) I might also add that these bulls are running on nothing but fescue in the breeding pasture. After reading the facts of what we are sending into the "real world" I hope you can see as to why I take offense to someone who is completly ignorant of our program passing judgement. One last thing, if we are going to make improvements to the beef business, then we need to evaluate yearling bulls by ultrasound to determine if we are still moving in the same direction we want to. There is only one wasy to clearly identify the full genetic potential of any given animal, and that is to manage that animal to acheive his/her maximum genetic potential. So you will excuse me if I feel the days of "X" number of cattle running on the open range to calve all year long or in an extremely long season and as long as they put a healthy looking calf on the ground are numbered.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well pardon me but I have bought bulls from outfits that "Feeds the breed"

And they fall apart most all REGISTERED BREEDERS are fad chasers whats hot may not be what's best.With enough feed you can make poor bulls look real good.

I would think the cooked mash would be sterile, and not attributing to the microorganisms in the rumen. Whenever we receive animals from different management regimens, we make sure to find out what the cattle have been fed and how they have been treated since birth. That way we can break them into our feeding regimen. It takes a week or so to adapt a rumen to different feed, otherwise you get bloat. There also could be more things going on with the animal you have no clue about. It's amazing what a little stress can do! I can go on and on, but 'nuff said.

Angus Breeder said:
Jersey Lilly,

Stop trying to blame the seedstock breeders for shortfalls with the consumer. It's not the seedstock producers fault a customer was to ignorant to care for the purchased animal. Common sense tells us that a yearling bull cannot be turned out and expected to preform the same as a cow. I do not care what the breed or the management philosophy the bull was raised under. I feel that anyone turning a young bull out and not helping him along or taking the proper precautions should be the ones reported. There is no single more important animal in the herd that the bull. That being said why don't people take every effort to manage him to his fullest potential. A little foresight and common sense goes a long ways.

Boy your really full of it.If your cattle can't go out and breed cows without a feed bucket in tow cut his damn head off.There is no reason to pamper a yearling bull any more than you do your yearling heifers.
Sure you unleash it's full gentic potential how about it's REAL WORLD potential.Just keep repeating

"FEEDS THE BREED"
"FEEDS THE BREED"
"FEEDS THE BREED"

if boiling feeds will hurt an animal than every show animal in the country would be sick or dead because all of the big name and small name show feeds are cooked. Thats a fact just thought i would express it.Bulls have to be fed to grow there frame as well as get them in condition to breed but they can be over fed. I havent seen that done much but most seedstock guys know what they are doin or they would be out of business. I think a good note i said good seedstock person needs a pat on the back for moving the breeds forward. One that takes time to collect the data and use it.

Ok maybe I"m not getting my point across as to what I mean by Killing bacteria and such. You got a man raisin bulls, feedin them cooked mash, in a dirt, feedlot lookin place from what I'm told. Ok ? (so he's been getting cooked mash that has no live bacteria in it)
This man delivered the bull, deal was made between her dad and the man, she never seen his place until after the fact.
You take that bull that's not been out in the pastures pickin up bacteria, bugs, fungus, whatever might be out there in the wild wooley pastures. He was a 2 year old bull. He's gonna go start eatin stuff he hasn't had before, or in a long while, and the result was a sick sick bull.

I never said it would kill bugs in the rumen, kills anything in the feed. Good or bad bacteria, therefore that animals' immune system hasn't encountered those bacteria, that would otherwise have built the immune system up if he was exposed to them.

Amazes me how , here I sat at my computer, remembered makin an observation of someone elses problems, and learning from them, and people start chewin my A$$ out like it was my deal. makes ya wanna just keep yer fingers offa the key board sometimes.

It seems that anything can be taken out of context :? - - - we started out talking about creep feeding and I feel I got some really good info :) - - - then we got into feeding bulls and I feel like I learned a lot again :) - - - lets keep up the passing of information but at the same time it would be nice if we tried to not get personal :( - - - yes I creep feed at times and sometimes I don't - - - I will sometimes feed bulls 8) , but I have not found a need to for several years :) . If the need arisies I will feed them but when I sell ( I never sell yearling bulls but I have several great two year olds for sale) I try my best to make sure they are going to someplace they will work and I make sure to find out how they will be fed and I try to replicate that for about two weeks before delivery :D . Can an animal still get shipping fever :???: - - of course but you can do many things to prevent it and it should be a rare occurance. :D :D :D

Lilly, don't take it personal. I was merely pointing out the fact the cooked feed wasn't the cause of the bull getting shipping fever.

He was in a dirt lot, outside, the buckets and trough weren't sterelized.

He had to have access to hay for roughage, that wasn't sterilized.

I just didn't want you to paint every breeder that might feed cooked feed as doing a bad thing.

The problem was the bull was fed differently than the real world he was turned out into. The change in feed (stress) made him get sick, not exposure to germs. I guarantee you there are more germs in a confined dirt lot than on clean pasture. 1 hint, look for flies.

The bull would have gotten sick with the change if he was getting a heavy ration of rolled grain and switched to pasture with no time to adjust.

For a breeder to get mad about others thinking they feed too heavy, I am a purebred breeder as well, and I believe most purebred outfits feed too heavy. I see the reason why, but I calls em as I sees em.

Latest posts