• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

creep feeding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tlakota

Reaction score
I still have the calves on the cows and have been creepfeeding for the past month with pellets...Would it be alrite to creepfeed straight corn or would the calves over eat?

I would advise you not to do that as I think they would overeat.
I've seen wrecks with feeding straight oats. The calves got
Entertoxemia and the rancher lost several of them. He had them
posted by a veterinarian. There is nothing to limit them from over
eating the feed. Bad deal.

tlakota said:
I still have the calves on the cows and have been creepfeeding for the past month with pellets...Would it be alrite to creepfeed straight corn or would the calves over eat?

Corn will put more fat and shine on your calves and less muscle. Corn = energy, too much of which is converted to fat. Feeders do not want to pay for fat that is going to melt off after they place them in a feedlot. Protein builds muscle, which is what you want on calves.

There is a big difference in creep feeds, too. After feeding a cheaper grain- based creep for a year or two, I switched to a rather pricy, non-grains, rumen-bypass protein creep for the last 2 years.

Huge difference in our calves, all of which came from the same bulls and cows over that time frame. Better frame size and development, less fat and a good, long haircoat over a thick body. No fat compared to the calves fed on the other creep.

My problem is to resist the urge to start slipping a bit of corn in with the creep to "cheapen it down . . .". :lol:

you can use a product called accuration from purina and it limits the amount of corn they will eat,corn has to be ground fine like hogfeed,the more accuration you put in it the less corn they eat,it is expensive but you dont have to mess with corn,the accuration is made from fish guts, so it does stink like it,lol

In our pelleted creep feed we have poloxylene added...prevents bloating. They may get a little loose, only problem, gotta keep the horses out of it :? FWIW

Latest posts