• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cruisin' in my son's Caddy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Late yesterday, I needed to take a pickup to Valentine to get a bed liner sprayed in it today. My son is sixteen and a sophomore in Cody High School, so it befell him to follow me to the "big city" and bring me home after leaving the pickup. We did some errands, both washed our vehicles in an automatic car-wash, ate at McDonald's, and then I kicked back for a luxurious ride in my son's car.

He had a chance to get this 1973 Cadillac Coupe DeVille about a year ago, and it is his pride and joy. It was a one-owner car with 89,000 miles on it when he bought it, and it now has 92,000. He was horse-trader enough to get it bought for $1125. Being a typical red-blooded American boy, he had to personalize it with gizmos and doo-dads. He purchased an XM radio system, and has the trunk half-full of speakers. Altogether, there are nine (count them, nine) speakers. Being kind and considerate of his pappy, we did get to listen to "Hank's Place" on the radio on the way home. It was fun trying to impress him that I knew most of the artists as they sang their songs. He could see who was singing, and I couldn't.

There was a short in the front two speakers, but if the heater was on, the speakers worked. As the evening was beautiful, about 40 degrees and a nearly full moon, we traveled some with the windows rolled down. It was a bit chilly, but by golly, the speakers worked. About half-way home, another short developed, and a light came on under the dash so we could see our feet among a multitude of wires. Another discovery of the evening happened in the automatic car wash. Being originally a California car, it was not used to an abundance of water and did leak a bit between the windows. Anyway, it was a fun ride home, and I am proud that he likes his car and takes good care of it.

what an absolutely wonderful way to spend time with your son....kids grow up too fast and then their friends have a tendency to come first and foremost!!! you created a beautiful memory that your son will carry with him for the rest of his day!!! thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with us....i was able to close my eyes and see through yours!!

Good for you Soapweed! That day will never come again.

I am always impressed with what you post here. You know how to LIVE and appreciate each day, your family, friends, animals in your care, the joy of doing what you love to do with those important to do it with.

I am also impressed with a male teenager that likes a 1973 Caddy! Wow! Don't know many of those~now he knows what a REAL car is! LOL!!

Thanks for sharing those special times with us once again.

You guys reminded me of why I used to really like ranchers.net. The positive, uplifting posts are a breath of fresh air.

Keep 'em coming.

Around ten years ago I bought a 71 CDV Caddy for a 100 bucks from a retired couple, it was a one owner. The family would pile in and we'd go cruising the gravel roads around here on summer evenings. The best part was it had an 8 track player so I could listen to all my old country tunes. Didn't want to winter it over so sold it to a guy for 50 bucks for a demolition derby,( he won), I got to keep the four tires which were new when I bought it and have them on a hay wagon still. Memories. :)

Latest posts