• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cucs, peppers and maters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
The garden has picked up since the bit of rain we got last week. Add in the heat and humidity this week...

The kids are actually begging for a greazy burger. They are sick of fresh stuff out of the garden. The oldest requested that I "save" some for winter and not make them eat it all now. :?

I like to stuff the peppers and freeze them. I havn't found a good way to keep the cucumbers. Any suggestions?

Some recipes tossed out would be great too. I have 3 pots of cucs marinating right now. One in vinegar/water, one in mayo/mustard, and one mixed with maters, peppers, carrots and beans in italian dressing.

The corn won't be ready till late september. Late spring and long day corn messed that up.

HEY, would Mike's watermelon stuff taste good over some cucs?

I mostly make dill pickles with mine,add carrots and Jalapano peppers. If the cucs get too big then I make a hot dog relish,its good we eat it over more then just hot dogs.

18 cucumbers (5-in/10-cm) long 18
2 cups finely chopped onions 500 mL
3 large sweet green bell peppers 3
2 large sweet red bell peppers 2
1/2 cup pickling salt 125 mL
9 cups boiling water 2.25 L
3 cups granulated sugar 750 mL
2 tbsp mustard seed 25 mL
1 tbsp celery seed 15 mL
2-1/2 cups white vinegar 625 mL
1 tbsp cornstarch 15 mL

Directions
Wash cucumbers thoroughly; trim stem ends, and chop very finely. Combine with onions in large heatproof bowl.

Rinse peppers; remove cores, seeds and membranes and chop finely. Add peppers and salt to bowl; pour boiling water over and weigh down with overturned plate. Let stand for 5 hours. Drain thoroughly; rinse in cold water, and drain very thoroughly.

Sterilize the jars.

In large saucepan, combine sugar, mustard seed, celery seed and all but 1/4 cup of vinegar. Blend cornstarch with remaining vinegar to make paste, then stir into sugar-spice mixture. Add drained vegetables. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until liquid has thickened but is sufficient to cover vegetables.

Pour relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in (5 mm) headspace. Immediately cover with sterilized lids and seal tightly.

*Oh and I don't chop mine I grind then up,I like that consistency....Mairi

Latest posts