• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Culling bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I have a pen of yearling bulls. I have gone through them and culled them down from 30 to twenty. I want to go at them again and get it down to about 12. I have three sire groups so I think my next step is to scrotal measure them and get rid of the smallest. Next I will separate them into sire groups as I have some Really Windy G-sons off of Hfrs. Some off a OCC Magnum and some off a G- son off Lukens Scotch Cap 9440. They are little different type bulls so hard to compare .

What would you use for criteria?

They are a pretty nice pen so every cut gets more difficult. :?

Nuts, guts, and butts. Those are what our judging coaches try to get across every spring. :D Shucks BMR, why don't ya just sell all 20? Culling down from 30 to 20 is more than a lot of folks do.

MYT Farms said:
Nuts, guts, and butts. Those are what our judging coaches try to get across every spring. :D Shucks BMR, why don't ya just sell all 20? Culling down from 30 to 20 is more than a lot of folks do.

I don't sell many bulls. Usually after turn out and guys have wrecks. :shock:

I use most of them myself so I try to whittle away at them pretty hard.

My bulls are younger then most guy want and they seem to like the fed up ones as opposed to grown out. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
MYT Farms said:

I don't sell many bulls. Usually after turn out and guys have wrecks. :shock:

I use most of them myself so I try to whittle away at them pretty hard.

My bulls are younger then most guy want and they seem to like the fed up ones as opposed to grown out. :?

Of course, every year in judging some kid busts a class for using fat bulls instead of the ones that have the real muscle and width. But heck, it depends on what you're looking for if you're gonna be using them. I personally like muscle shape and mass to along with sound structure and guts. Of course for me, balance and "style" get a little more attention.

Start hitting on the dam side for fleshing ability, udders, feet, disposition and stayability. A cowboy can't have enough easy keeping sound good uddered females that raise calves. (maybe you have already done this) if so there is my personal favorite... paper scissors rock. :lol: :lol: Be sure and wash your glasses before making any harsh calls. :lol: :lol:

have a good one

lazy ace

lazy ace said:
Start hitting on the dam side for fleshing ability, udders, feet, disposition and stayability. A cowboy can't have enough easy keeping sound good uddered females that raise calves. (maybe you have already done this) if so there is my personal favorite... paper scissors rock. :lol: :lol: Be sure and wash your glasses before making any harsh calls. :lol: :lol:

have a good one

lazy ace

:agree:

katrina said:
lazy ace said:

have a good one

lazy ace

i agree also.
be as critical of the dam as you are the bull.

Justin said:
katrina said:
lazy ace said:

have a good one

lazy ace

i agree also.
be as critical of the dam as you are the bull.

I agree too. I believe that bulls will breed truer to his maternal side of his pedigree that his paternal side.

I put little faith in scrotal size unless they're REALLY small. A scrotal measurement is only the girth of the testicles, and says nothing about their length or overall potential for volume of semen. After all, they are 3 dimensional last time I checked.

I'd cull anything out of a heifer. When I'm getting down to the nitty gritty like you are, the best bulls to me are the ones out of cows 10yrs or older that are proven in our conditions. JMO.

I agree with PC on the scrotal issue. Another thing I would suggest you do to help your selection is put your bander away for 2 months, or 6 months - let them develop more and look at them again. I find bulls change so much in their growth period that it doesn't pay to be too hasty - last time I checked you couldn't reattach the nuts :lol:

I agree with grassfarmer on what the will look like after a few months of growth and with PC on the scrotal issue. I have some bulls that I am growing and when they were out on grass I had one that I really like but now after a few months in the pen it starting to get harder on which one I think will be the best.

I had extras last year I put so many of them up for sale say 10 head I also put some 2 year old up for sale. I sold down to the number I needed then kept what was left as I had faith in them all. Some were full brothers so if a 2 year old sold I kept the yearling to use. Cut all the ear tags out and pick 20 head by disposition and type then worry about pedigrees.

To backup PC and GF, I know a breeder that multi-sire, range breeds and DNA test the calves...the largest scrotal circumference bulls don't leave the most progeny. I believe scrotum structure is most important...straight, not twisted...testicles equal size and proper 'football' shape...epididymides visible in proper position. If the scrotum isn't right, stop looking and don't use.
I don't agree with not using a bull out of a heifer...the genetics are there and if the bull is good, use him.

You know what works on your place BMR I'd just go with what you think is best. It would be a good 4H project to get the kids out and have them sort them-I had mine sorting fat sterers a few years ago. The saving grace of our industry is alot of kids are sharper than their parents-I'm speaking from first hand experience here.

All interesting advice.
The reason I would keep bull out of Hfrs is that I want sons off that sire. I usually one buy one new bull a year or when I need one and use it in the PB hfrs.
I know scrotal size isn't the BE ALL END ALL but to sell a bull under sized is a tough sell and I get a BSE done by my vet so does it make sense to pay them for their services then ignore it ?
Of the claves I have measured early they generally don't catch up in size and when I am measuring I can feel for other deformities.

The reason I like to get them looked over earlier rather then later is a staggy looking steer or a cull bull sell for a lot less then a steer. But I agree they seem to change everyday to their looks at this stage of the game. :D

Thanks for the advice. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
All interesting advice.
The reason I would keep bull out of Hfrs is that I want sons off that sire. I usually one buy one new bull a year or when I need one and use it in the PB hfrs.
I know scrotal size isn't the BE ALL END ALL but to sell a bull under sized is a tough sell and I get a BSE done by my vet so does it make sense to pay them for their services then ignore it ?
Of the claves I have measured early they generally don't catch up in size and when I am measuring I can feel for other deformities.

The reason I like to get them looked over earlier rather then later is a staggy looking steer or a cull bull sell for a lot less then a steer. But I agree they seem to change everyday to their looks at this stage of the game. :D

Thanks for the advice. :)

When in doubt have another purebred breeder band your bulls. :wink:
I bet the competition would show up with every bander in the book and have the sharpest knives you would ever see. :lol: :lol:

I never get invited to BRG's branding. :lol: :lol: :lol:

have a good one

lazy ace

Latest posts