• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cummins engine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BLOCK HEATER
REMOVAL
Disconnect negative battery cable(s) from battery(s)
Drain coolant from radiator and cylinder block.
Remove power cord from heater by unplugging Engine Block Heater - 3.9L/5.2L/5.9L Gas Powered Engine Engine Block Heater - 8.0L V-10 Engine On the diesel engine, the cord is connected to the heater with a knurled cap. Unscrew this cap for cord removal.
Loosen (but do not completely remove) the screw at center of block heater Engine Block Heater - 3.9L/5.2L/5.9L Gas Powered Engine Engine Block Heater - 8.0L V-10 Engine On the diesel engine, an allen headed screw is used.
Remove block heater from engine by carefully prying from side- to-side. When removing block heater, note direction of heating element coil (up or down) Element coil must be installed correctly to prevent damage
INSTALLATION
Thoroughly clean the cylinder block freeze plug hole and block heater seat.
Install new O-ring seal(s) to heater.
Insert block heater into cylinder block.
With heater fully seated, tighten center screw.
Fill cooling system with recommended coolant. Refer to Refilling Cooling System section in this group.
Start and warm the engine.
Check block heater for leaks.
REFILLING COOLING SYSTEM
Clean cooling system prior to refilling. Refer to Cooling System Cleaning section of this group.

Install the cylinder block drain plugs Drain Plugs - Gas Powered Engines - Typical
Close radiator drain plug.
Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. 5.9L Diesel Engine Only: The diesel engine is equipped with a one-way check valve (jiggle pin) The check valve is used as a servicing feature and will vent air when the system is being filled. Water pressure (or flow) will hold the valve closed. Due to the use of this valve, the engine must not be operating when refilling the cooling system. Refer to Thermostat Operation - 5.9L Diesel Engine in the Thermostat section of this group for more information.
Fill coolant reserve/overflow tank to the FULL mark.
Start and operate engine until thermostat opens. Upper radiator hose should be warm to touch.
If necessary, add 50/50 water and antifreeze mixture to the coolant reserve/overflow tank to maintain coolant level. This level should be between the ADD and FULL marks. The level in the reserve/overflow tank may drop below the ADD mark after three or four warm-up and cool-down cycles

Tom

I went through 4 block heaters in my cummins 5.9 with none lasting longer than three times plugged in over night. After picking the brain of the cummins dealer shop formam, wifh no sugestions, I decided to replace the antifreeze check valve at the front top of the engine. After replacing that and running the engine for two weeks before plugging it in, (and topping off the antifreeze twice) I have plugged it in every night now for a month with no problems. So Far So Good! Hope this helps someone having a similar problem.

I finally got mine working as well. I bled the anti freeze put thru the block heater screw as well as topped it up and run it a bunch before pluging it back in.

At least I know I wasn't the only one having troubles. :)

If all else fails talk to it and ask whats wrong. A scratch behind the ears would help too...cuz yall know ~~Cats purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine, about 26 cycles per second. If it works on a cat why not a diesle engine.

MsSage said:
If all else fails talk to it and ask whats wrong. A scratch behind the ears would help too...cuz yall know ~~Cats purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine, about 26 cycles per second. If it works on a cat why not a diesle engine.
Good advise, but his diesel engine is a Cummins...not a Cat! :wink: :)

BMR, I take back my "big dummie" comment..you did what I would have advised. Hope your problem is fixed.

Latest posts