• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

custom calving heifers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WHR

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas as to what they would charge for calving heifers. We have been calving from 60 to 120 heifers for a guy for the last few years and have asked for $30 per heifer plus feed and yardage. This year it feels a little cheap though as in the first hundred we have pulled 14, had 2 c-sections and one prolapse and calves up to 130lbs. They are also very wild. Anyway I'd appreciate comment. Thanks

At the very least you should charge per heifer, feed, yardage and Veterinary charges. You should not be picking up C section or other veterinary costs.[/b]

I charged you $20 per live calf back in the early 80's.

Wouldn't kick about the 87 you never touched but did they make up for time spent on the problems.

Did the vet come out for the C-sections or did you take them to town or did you do them yourself?

The temperament can be a handicap if you have to mess with them much. Have you suggested the owner invest in some different bulls or search out another person that enjoys jacking elephants out of heifers?

Thought you were the one that liked the saying about a cowboy not having fun unless he was having a tough go of things? :D

gcreekrch said:
I charged you $20 per live calf back in the early 80's.

Wouldn't kick about the 87 you never touched but did they make up for time spent on the problems.

Did the vet come out for the C-sections or did you take them to town or did you do them yourself?

The temperament can be a handicap if you have to mess with them much. Have you suggested the owner invest in some different bulls or search out another person that enjoys jacking elephants out of heifers?

Thought you were the one that liked the saying about a cowboy not having fun unless he was having a tough go of things? :D
I think now that that saying is more accurate for young cowboys than old ones :( We are only 15 minutes from a vet so we don't do c-sections here but we do prolapses if we have to. The owner pays all vet and medicine costs and always pays on time so it isn't all bad.
50 dollars per head does have a nicer ring to it! Maybe we'll work on that for next year. Thanks for the replies.

We're getting $40/live calf. Plus a fairly generous per day fee too which covers feed and yardage. Owner pays for all veterinary costs as well.

this all sounds so 'cosmopolitan' to me; when I'm fortunate enuf to land a calving-job, I go on monthly wages whether I like it or not; I've never heard of charging 'per-head'...

ltdumbear2 said:
this all sounds so 'cosmopolitan' to me; when I'm fortunate enuf to land a calving-job, I go on monthly wages whether I like it or not; I've never heard of charging 'per-head'...

They are taking the hfrs to their place not going to work someplace else.

Latest posts