• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

custom grazing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

iowacattleman80

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here.
I am wondering about custom grazing. Some land has come up for sale that joins ours but I don't have and don't want to buy cows to put on it. So I was wondering about custom grazing some cows but didn't know what the rates are and where to look for people that do this with there cows. Any help would be great.
Thanks

If you're doing most of the work, - fence, water, guaranteed count, I'm going to say $1. - $1.25 per day. Mineral is extra, and medicine is extra (rope and doctor is covered by the grazing fee). Spraying should be settled when striking a deal. Make sure you have the authority to return a fence crawler. Creep and spraying both extend the grass so you should share in the cost by absorbing the extra labor. Get paid enough you can do a good job and still come out.

http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/Research_Projects/Custom-grazing-survey_stocking-rates.pdf

You might check with your local extension agent and even your NRCS office. They may not know but can put in touch with those that do.

Another good source is the local sale barn. Stay out of the coffee shops.

Where you located in Iowa?

Rent around here is upwards of $100 an acre for improved pasture, if you can find it, but you would have to have a pretty sharp pencil for that to make a land payment.

bart. †

Latest posts