• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Customer ranch visits and photos of their cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
Every year we try to get to most of our bull customers ranches to see their calves and how the bulls are doing. I really enjoy this as I get to know our customers a bit better. Sale day isn't a good day to meet and remember who they are as my I am ussually quite busy. I made 7 visits this week. I took the camara along and if I remembered I snapped some photos. This way I can give the photos to potential calf buyers so they have an idea of what they are selling. Plus I like to take a quick photo of the bulls for my own use.

Here are a few photos from a ranch west of Minot

Here is a photo of a bull he purchased from us last fall.

These are from a ranch north of Jamestown

Here are a few from anther ranch further north of Jamestown

This photo is in a different pasture and nearly all are first or second calf heifers and most of them were purchased from us.

It was a little chilly on the morning this guy was born - He is out of a first calf heifer

Here are a couple bulls he got from us in the fall of 2007

Here is another bull we sold last fall to a new customer between Bismarck and Jamestown and a bit North. I was a bit nervous as they wanted him but wasn't there. I told them I thought he was quite a bit under average but they liked his pedigree and weights so had me buy him for them. He sure looks good now, and they love him.

another look at him

Good solid bunch of calves. I won't deal with a seed-stock producer that isn't interested in my cows and doesn't make it easy to see his cows. Too bad your so far away BRG, I think we could do business, or at least enjoy some cattle inspection tours.

per said:
Good solid bunch of calves. I won't deal with a seed-stock producer that isn't interested in my cows and doesn't make it easy to see his cows. Too bad your so far away BRG, I think we could do business, or at least enjoy some cattle inspection tours.

Thanks,

Never to far away :wink: We do sell quite a few bulls in Northern MT already. It would never hurt to throw a couple more on the trailor.

Seriously, I think it is very important for several reasons, but the main one is to see if the seedstock you are selling works. How else will ya know?

The sad part about most cattle producers (seedstock or otherwise) is once the money changes hands they could not care less if the next guy is satisfied.
An old couple that bought a load of our steers last spring are selling them next week. We have kept in touch during the summer and they are very pleased with the quality and weight gain. I hope with our dollar gaining strength that they can hold their money together. They have already expressed interest in another group next spring.

Brian, you have the kind of cattle and attitude that is needed and appreciated in this business.

Nice pictures, BRG. Looks like you and your family are going about being in the seedstock business in proper fashion. Your cattle and methods of operation are impressive.

Say, I like that bull in the 5th pic. from the top. Looks like he has a nice black head on him. :wink: Cattle look good. Good pictures. Keep up the good work!

I enjoyed the pictures and have a lot of respect for Red Angus cattle. I grew up with Herefords, mostly commercial, but always had some registered cattle and sold bulls most of my years in the cattle business.

Soapweed and three daughters were much involved in the operation. We had recently purchased the Lorentz Raben herd. Soapweed wound up with the two year old heifers all bred to a Line one bull. One day he offered to trade his Herefords for a herd of Angus cattle that we had so from then on it was easy to keep track of his cattle on branding day. The blacks all got his brand.

The daughters had all received a heifer on their 8th birthday, as had Soapweed, so were getting a good start with purebred Herefords. It was complicated to keep their cattle tagged and in their name. I approached them with the idea that I buy 15 Red Angus cows and trade for their cattle and they form a partnership. I would keep their cattle for the bull calves which we started using to cross on our commercial Herefords. Several years later when the daughters divided the Red Angus herd they each had 45 cows and heifers.

Those Red Angus pictures brought back pleasant memories. Thankyou!

Bob M said:
I enjoyed the pictures and have a lot of respect for Red Angus cattle. I grew up with Herefords, mostly commercial, but always had some registered cattle and sold bulls most of my years in the cattle business.

Soapweed and three daughters were much involved in the operation. We had recently purchased the Lorentz Raben herd. Soapweed wound up with the two year old heifers all bred to a Line one bull. One day he offered to trade his Herefords for a herd of Angus cattle that we had so from then on it was easy to keep track of his cattle on branding day. The blacks all got his brand.

The daughters had all received a heifer on their 8th birthday, as had Soapweed, so were getting a good start with purebred Herefords. It was complicated to keep their cattle tagged and in their name. I approached them with the idea that I buy 15 Red Angus cows and trade for their cattle and they form a partnership. I would keep their cattle for the bull calves which we started using to cross on our commercial Herefords. Several years later when the daughters divided the Red Angus herd they each had 45 cows and heifers.

Those Red Angus pictures brought back pleasant memories. Thankyou!

Thanks, I enjoyed the history. It is always interesting to me how other ranches do and have done things to make it all work out.

Latest posts