• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Customers calves sold on Superiors Country Page

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
A good customer from CO just sold on Superior's country page this AM. They will be early Oct delivery, suppose to weigh 650 lbs, and just sold for $2.12.

We have another customer from western SD who listed them on the country page as well. I just placed a bid on them on order, weighing 660 lbs with the delivery being mid Oct. The bid placed was $2.13.

Who would have thought you could sell a $1400 calf right off the cow??!!!??

Sold! I just went back to look at the bid I placed and someone already came in behind me and matched the asking price. So they sold at $2.16 for 660 lbs for a total of $1426. This fall could be fun!!!

Soapweed said:
Last week in Valentine, May 22, 2014, Gale Cattle Company sold 240 steers weighing 695 pounds for $2.42 per pound. That comes to $1682 per head.

How did your heifers sell?

I heard those steers were NHTC, it would be interesting to compare them to implanted calves to see what the premium was.

Big Swede said:
Soapweed said:
Last week in Valentine, May 22, 2014, Gale Cattle Company sold 240 steers weighing 695 pounds for $2.42 per pound. That comes to $1682 per head.

How did your heifers sell?

I heard those steers were NHTC, it would be interesting to compare them to implanted calves to see what the premium was.

They weighed 952# and brought $163.25 = $1554 per head. They sold right before the Gale steers. I wish they'd have sold just after those steers, maybe they would have brought a bit more. :)

The whole sale was pretty hot.

http://valentinelivestock.net/docs/market_reports/2014/may22mr.pdf

Nicola Ranch at Merritt BC sold their calves yesterday on TEAM. They were for Oct 20 delivery. 600 steers were called to weigh 580 and sold for $224.75. 330 heifers at 530 brought $217.00.

Our dollar is making a difference.

You guys enjoy that "northern premium".

I had a friend just sell some 695 steers here and they brought 1.89

He was happy.

Amazing how much more ya'll get for the cattle up there.

nortexsook said:

He was happy.

Better cattle :wink: :lol: :lol:

but then it doesn't get where we could be if we crossed with Holsteins. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
nortexsook said:

He was happy.

Better cattle :wink: :lol: :lol:

but then it doesn't get where we could be if we crossed with Holsteins. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is even an old Hereford trick. They didn't cross with Holsteins, but in some cases there were sure Holstein nurse cows to make the bull calves grow up big and pretty. :wink:

These cattle were straight angus. generations of the same AI sires you guys are using. The 'northern cattle are better' deal is a sham. Just a trick to get the cattle bought cheaper and it works.

This guy is older than me and has bought hook line and sinker into the Angus deal and AI's to the same Angus bulls ya'll do and buy's 5 digit bulls from Gardiners and has for years.

It's no sweat to me other than I can't convince him to try a Hereford.

I got a sight better than any of the prices quoted on this thread for 9 month old heifers this past fall. But I'm just a dumb "Hereford Guy".

nortexsook said:
These cattle were straight angus. generations of the same AI sires you guys are using. The 'northern cattle are better' deal is a sham. Just a trick to get the cattle bought cheaper and it works.

This guy is older than me and has bought hook line and sinker into the Angus deal and AI's to the same Angus bulls ya'll do and buy's 5 digit bulls from Gardiners and has for years.

It's no sweat to me other than I can't convince him to try a Hereford.

I got a sight better than any of the prices quoted on this thread for 9 month old heifers this past fall. But I'm just a dumb "Hereford Guy".

Your almost as touchy as kola. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen the pics of your Herefords and i agree they are GOOD cattle. :D

nortexsook said:
This drought's getting to me, i guess.....

Sorry to be so touchy....LOL

It's not so much cattle as it is the cost of feed at the yard. Or the transportation cost to get the cattle back north to cheaper feed. When corn is worth a dollar a bushel more in Texas than Nebraska and the roughage costs are much higher the economics work a lot different

Man those are unreal prices you guys. Gives me motivation to try harder. Two weeks ago I hauled 5 open 3's to town from Ronan angus bunch and they weighed 1042 avg brought 1.57. Someone had to of took them home to breed?

So Glenn any luck getting the aha adjustment factor pushed thru to reflect the north/south diff? (I hope you smile not cuss me under your breath cause I just like to kid)

One last question for soap. What's trickier... Having a nurse cow or just skipping that step and putting it in the breed?

Hereford76 said:
Man those are unreal prices you guys. Gives me motivation to try harder. Two weeks ago I hauled 5 open 3's to town from Ronan angus bunch and they weighed 1042 avg brought 1.57. Someone had to of took them home to breed?

So Glenn any luck getting the aha adjustment factor pushed thru to reflect the north/south diff? (I hope you smile not cuss me under your breath cause I just like to kid)

One last question for soap. What's trickier... Having a nurse cow or just skipping that step and putting it in the breed?

It's about half a dozen one way or six the other.

It is connivery either way.

There are exceptions to every rule but typically northern cattle will eat much more than southern cattle. Feed in equals pounds put on. I've fed quite a few of both origins and can never get southern cattle to eat as much as northerns. Just goes back to eating like there is no tomorrow so they can make it through the tough winters.

That's hilarious so where is the Lake Wobegon line. The line where all cattle born north of it are "above average"??????? Inquiring minds would like to know. This information could be crucial to cattle growers and order buyers everywhere.

Does the Lake Wobegon effect take hold if I ship my cattle north and run them through as Nebraska sale barn? A South Dakota salebarn? I need to know so I can calculate my mileage costs.....

Latest posts