• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Customers calves sold on Superiors Country Page

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Also since these northern cattle eat so much, in periods when feedyards are losing money due to high feed costs, should southern cattle be worth more since they eat less?

At least Jake had a reasonable thought out answer.

And I do understand that the "typical" southern salebarn calf may have some ear creating quality issues, but my point was these guys who have actually bought their cowherds from out of state (typically Nebraska around here) and the cow is either a straight Angus or in some cases an Angus - continental cross and use the 'top of the line' (yes I used quotation marks) Angus bulls still are selling for in some cases going by recent reports on these boards 40-50 cents less per pound on 600-750 weight steers. Just boggles my mind. You can pay for a lot of shipping at $200+ per head discount.

I'm glad ya'll are getting the prices you are. I guess as a numbers guy, I'd just like to be able to reconcile the huge differences. I think it still mostly gets back to reputations (good in the north, bad in the south) whether DESERVED or NOT.

nortexsook said:
That's hilarious so where is the Lake Wobegon line. The line where all cattle born north of it are "above average"??????? Inquiring minds would like to know. This information could be crucial to cattle growers and order buyers everywhere.

Does the Lake Wobegon effect take hold if I ship my cattle north and run them through as Nebraska sale barn? A South Dakota salebarn? I need to know so I can calculate my mileage costs.....

I'm not sure if there is a "LINE" like the Mason Dixon line but northern animals generally are bigger. Big deer trophies come from the north generally and horses are bigger generally. Come north for a visit if you don't believe me.

We got extra beds if you need a place to stay :D :D

But i must ask then, are North Dakota cattle worth more than Nebraska cattle then? Or at least worth more than Kansas cattle?

Would Northern Montana cattle like Ace's (his Angus not his Herefords cause we all know Herefords suck) be as much better than a Kansas Angus than that Kansas Angus is better than a Texas Angus???

And do they just keep getting better and better the farther north you go?

Artic cattle anyone?

Ya'll have a good evening. I've gotta call it a night. I'd love to make it north sometime but with work and kids I just don't see it in the next few years. I made it as far north as Yellowstone as a two year old. Kinda fuzzy on the details though.

nortexsook said:

Artic cattle anyone?

In short, yes. Did I ever mention that I'm about as far north as anyone raising cattle in North America? :D

I have heard a guy that has several feedlots of pretty good size talk about how well the northern cattle do in the winter that our Kansas winter weather doesn't seem to bother them to much. But I've never heard them talk about feeding and which does better in the summer. I do agree with the animals being bigger farther north, but genetics in cattle shouldn't make that much difference. Meaning if you had same genetics in both places once cattle got on feed I would think would be similar. I first thought about the corn situation and where the cattle go to be fed and how everything goes south. We had a broker guy told us that for us to be making the most for our corn it should be hauled to Dalhart Tx and we only live 30 miles from Nebraska. Even if you liked that theory cattle from northern Montana would have a longer ride to get south to a feedyard than cattle from say Oklahoma or even northern tx would have to go back north just for example if a feedyard here were buying them. Interesting for sure.

Silver said:
nortexsook said:

Artic cattle anyone?

In short, yes. Did I ever mention that I'm about as far north as anyone raising cattle in North America? :D

We'd better cut nortexsook some slack as it's hard for a Texan to admit that things could be bigger somewhere other then Texas. :wink: :lol: :lol:

nortexsook said:

Artic cattle anyone?

Arctic cattle. They're just like moose. Tha farther north you go the bigger and better they get.

nortexsook said:
But i must ask then, are North Dakota cattle worth more than Nebraska cattle then? Or at least worth more than Kansas cattle?

Would Northern Montana cattle like Ace's (his Angus not his Herefords cause we all know Herefords suck) be as much better than a Kansas Angus than that Kansas Angus is better than a Texas Angus???

The angus were bred at mayorthorpe Alberta. Didnt know silver was further north or coulda gone there for some even nicer girls.

Big Muddy rancher said:
We'd better cut nortexsook some slack as it's hard for a Texan to admit that things could be bigger somewhere other then Texas. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Ain't that the truth. My poor ego!!!!

nortexsook said:
Also since these northern cattle eat so much, in periods when feedyards are losing money due to high feed costs, should southern cattle be worth more since they eat less?

At least Jake had a reasonable thought out answer.

And I do understand that the "typical" southern salebarn calf may have some ear creating quality issues, but my point was these guys who have actually bought their cowherds from out of state (typically Nebraska around here) and the cow is either a straight Angus or in some cases an Angus - continental cross and use the 'top of the line' (yes I used quotation marks) Angus bulls still are selling for in some cases going by recent reports on these boards 40-50 cents less per pound on 600-750 weight steers. Just boggles my mind. You can pay for a lot of shipping at $200+ per head discount.

I'm glad ya'll are getting the prices you are. I guess as a numbers guy, I'd just like to be able to reconcile the huge differences. I think it still mostly gets back to reputations (good in the north, bad in the south) whether DESERVED or NOT.

I'm not sure what the cost spread is on forage between the Panhandle, SW Kansas, and Nebraska, but with just the difference in corn and by products the cost of gain is significantly cheaper in North. Kansas cattle typically trade at even money to Nebraska cattle with some exceptions. The biggest premiums are paid for having 200+ animals off a ranch that can all be handled the same as opposed to put together southern cattle where they sell one at a time or in small groups. Straight bos taurus cattle out of the south would be worth equivalent value to me on a delivered basis to Garden City or to where I'm feeding them. So you have to account for the freight.

Value spreads are all based upon transportation, whether it's feed, cattle, or meat and the relationships of the supply of each to the endusing point whether that is the lot, or packer.

One way to think about it is that there is no premiums in any commodity market, only a top and discounts applied there after to get to a price that the purchaser feels comfortable with. The thing I've never understood is if Southern producers are getting so ripped off why don't they send cattle to better markets themselves?

Latest posts